No gps after 3.4 upgrade

Roof antenna, puck style

Your asbuilt shows SDARS (SiriusXM) enabled. Does your SiriusXM work? Even if you donā€™t pay for it the preview channel should show up.

The XM works, I am changing the 7D0-01-01 xx** xxxx xxxx from 2A to 20 now.

Ok, I changed the 2A to 20 and back to 2A. Let the APIM reset. No change. Forced the reset on the BCM. Then the APIM. Still same result. No GPS. Btw my clock is correct though.

Drive around for 20-30 minutes and see if the GPS will fix itself. If the clock works properly, and does not reset on vehicle restart, then you should see satellites. If you donā€™t have satellites, then the GPS antenna has an issue or the APIM does.

There is nothing else to check except for the antenna, which do go bad if they have a water leak or something like cabling issues. I would check the cabling for the antenna. If you still do not have satellites acquired, you might want to look at getting a cheap GPS antenna to replace the one on the roof. Amazon and EBay have the GPS antennas:

Amazon.com: Bingfu Vehicle Waterproof Active GPS Navigation Antenna Fakra C Blue GPS Antenna Compatible with Ford Dodge RAM GM Chevy Chevrolet GMC Jeep Cadillac BMW Audi Mercedes Benz Car Truck SUV Head Unit: GPS & Navigation

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it. Iā€™ve been driving around for a while and still no GPS. I of course can use my phone but there are times when I donā€™t have signal and I still need to know where Iā€™m going. Itā€™s just really strange all this is happening right when I do the upgrade. But I will dig into it further and if I ever come up with something I will be sure to post it. Thanks again.

1 Like

The only time Iā€™ve seen this mentioned before it ended up being a bad gps antenna. Might be worth replacing it of youā€™ve tried everything else

1 Like

So I got a new gps antenna, the one you recommended. Still nothing. I really feel like this update broke my APIM. Or there is a setting that changed somewhere. Really strange.

Also small note, when I connect to wifi and scan for an update it says up to date 01-17-2014 12:45:51PM which is obviously the wrong date but correct time.

I had same problem with no gps. After unplugging the battery waiting for 10 secs and plugging again, the gps works fine

Thanks. I think I have had the battery changed since this all started so it would have been off for a while but I will try that.

So I checked and my battery replacement was before I updated to 3.4. I removed the negative battery cable for a good minute or two. Still no GPS. I have once downgraded back to the 3.3 I started at but it still didnt get gps. Contemplating downgrading and back up to 3.4. Not sure if this will do anything as it didnt work the first time I tried it. Looked on ebay for apims. May end up going that route. I still have my stock one non-nav I could sell to offset the cost. Hell I dont know. Pretty frustrating.

I upgraded to 3.4.21020 and the maps 20. Still no gps. Going to seriously look at a new APIM.

Make sure you buy a new APIM from someone who will accept returns, and are located in the US, in this case. Do not buy a cheap APIM on eBay from China. You will only need the APIM module, not the screen, so that may save you some money.

This was a reformat, correct? Usually this will correct any issues except the asbuilt. Try reloading the entire asbuilt again and then master reset the unit. If this does not work, I would say this is definitely a hardware issue.

It was only a downgrade. For whatever reason I get an error PKG_ERR04 every time I try to reformat.

You need to be at 3.3.19052 with the Syn3 Updater app to reformat. If you are at 3.4.xxxxx, you could downgrade to 3.3 with the app and reformat with new maps to 3.4.21020. If this and the above does not work, this is definitely a hardware issue.

Just to clarify, you need to be on 3.4.19200 or below to use reformat, 19274+ is blacklisted

Yeah man, just took it back to 19052 then reformatted to 3.4.21020 with 2.2NA maps, reloaded APIM FORSCAN AsBuilt, Master Reset. No Bueno.

Did you brick it, or did it not help?

Absolutely everything works. It will not aquire GPS. I can search for any address on the Navigation, set up a route, anything. But it wont find gps. Its as if there is not an antenna. The test does not show gps signal or any satellites. I have replaced the antenna with one F150Cheif suggested. And That was the first time I got an error on forscan for the APIM it said antenna not detected or something like that. I in advertently didnā€™t get the intent of plugged in all the way. Got it plugged back in and reset the error and never got an error again. Ended up switching back to the factory antenna because there was no change.
The frustrating part for me at this point is the direction on my dash is not accurate itā€™s always stuck on North and I of course gets its signal from they APIM.
Tomorrow Iā€™m going to throw my stock APIM in with non-nav to see If it will detect the direction. I will see what he comes up with.

1 Like