Ordered a SYNC 4 APIM, lets see what happens once it arrives!

I would like to thank @ShockStruck and @zackmd1 for sharing their experiences with the Sync 4 retrofits on their vehicles. The experience is netting good information and contributing to the community.

Thanks guys… :+1:

4 Likes

No, that will not work. You need a 2021+ GWM and TCU, and change the VIN in all modules, and then register the vehicle with the changed VIN with Ford. And get rid of the other original vehicle, which stays in the Ford servers for eternity. BTW, you can’t change the VIN in the PCM…with normal software.

Interesting… I never actually tried changing mine but when I launch the BodyCM graphical editor (not just the simple as built view), it shows it as a line item.

Yep. You can change it in the BCM (BodyCM) but get ready for some weird stuff. And it’s not in compliance with some guidelines…kind of like rolling back a speedometer.

Yeah… There’s that. Not something I’d ever condone but more speaking in hypotheticals. Really looking forward to a proven and accessible way to update these APIM’s without the necessity of OTA. The Lincoln branding/theme on my 2020 software build is terribly broken

1 Like

Either OTA or thru the Ford Service Department via USB. But I think the service department route would be pretty difficult.

Latest SYNC 4.0 build

• Build: 4.0.22025
  • Package Name: MU5T-14G682-LP (could have multiple names based on S4 Branch)
  • Release Date: February 2022

Latest SYNC 4 Calibration

• Version: 6.0.35.8
  • Calibration Name: MU5T-14G676-CB
  • Release Date: Unknown

I wonder if you can use the original VIN in the modules to spoof the Ford servers and cause it to update OTA.

No because the SYNC unit gets the VIN of the car it’s connected to not the car it came from.

I know for some it’s in the BCM and can be changed there. Just a thought as a work around.

1 Like

I was working with zackmd1 on this config for the Maverick. He got his maps for Nav to stop acting buggy but Im still seeing the issue he had previously. He provided the AB for 7D0-05-02 thru 7D0-07-04 but it doesnt seem to help with the issue. Im using the oem antenna and my maps are showing me driving in the opposite direction than Im actually traveling. Im stumped on this one since my compass seems out of wack.

Could you post the APIM abt file? Did you get the complete file from @zackmd1 ?

Yeah he gave me is AB. Here is what I have.
Mav Bad GPS.abt (757 Bytes)

Make the changes in this spreadsheet highlighted in Orange…
Sync 4 APIM As Built Database Propp.xlsx (82.5 KB)

1 Like

I was talking to Zack and he stated that the 7 block is for the orientation of the apim. I have mine set to the fins being down rather than up. Can the AB be adjusted for that orientation instead? Getting it remounted is going to be more difficult than reprogramming

1 Like

Well, there you go…you need to mount the APIM properly. The coding would be more difficult than the mounting, believe me. How did @zackmd1 mount his, would it not be the same?

The XL/XLT mav dash does not have the required inserts to install the OEM APIM bracket so custom solutions had to be made. I mounted mine above the ACM in the same general orientation as a stock lariat which is why my nav works properly.

I understand about the difference in mounting. Did you happen to take a picture?

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

Yup I didn’t realize when mounting this about the orientation. I guess I have to tear all of this out again. Thanks guys. This was my boneheaded move