Ordered a SYNC 4 APIM, lets see what happens once it arrives!

So this looks like MR3Z-14F642-A is for 2020+ non-Sync 4 vehicles (or vehicles not converted to ethernet) as an updated part for compatibility purposes with new features.

This one is used in the Mach-E:
GWM - Gateway Module A
Part number: MU5T-14G650-ABX
Strategy : LJ8T-14H021-AR

What did you need to do for UCDS to connect?

It has been reported that ‘nav in motion’ either does not work like before or does not work at all. Ford got wise, it seems. Maybe just another combination of settings.

Since this is a pretty lengthy discussion going on about sync 4 and theres a lot of knowledge in here, I wanted to ask a question. Ford changed their nav system on the 12" screen to 2 types, a subscription based system(my lariat) and a built in system(platinum). what makes the 2 systems different? is it the SOC? is the chip a different GB? Id like to find a way to get built in navigation in my lariat(cant order it as an option have to buy a platinum). Hoping you guys might be able to answer whats different about the APIMs.

Actually, the changes are for Sync 4 with any screen or Sync 4 or 4A. All of the “Connected Services” are now subscription based, either free or paid.

The map options can be found here:
What are the SYNC 4 Navigation options? - FAQS | Ford US

I forgot about the 4A system lol Maybe I worded my question wrong. the platinum trucks have connected built in nav, once the subscription runs out you can still use the nav function, the connected nav(my lariat for example) becomes useless unless I pay the subscription fee. So what I was asking is it the VIN thats controlling how the APIM will act without the subscription? or is it totally different software between the connected built in and the connected version? I would like for my nav to not be useless without the subscription.

The subscription is activated using the VIN of the vehicle and ESN of the Sync unit, just as it is with Sync 3. It’s the same software, just limited functionality on the Lariat vs the Platinum. The Lariat still has built in navigation (really just maps) but does not offer destination routing and other features that the Platinum would maintain without a subscription. If you want to still be able to use the nav without a subscription with routing features, etc., then the Platinum level would be the choice.

1 Like

Starting to think Sync 4 is not the way to go.

5 Likes

I guess ill have to find a platinum APIM then. Im not gonna trade my lariat in to get a platinum lol. I really hope a hack comes out for this or something. I wish i knew what was keeping the feature(destination routing after subscription runs out) locked out. someone much smarter than me will figure it out eventually im sure.

Ok I have a question and im sorry for being a Newbie. If I get an APIM from a platinum with Sync 4 will this allow the nav to work/built in ? or will the truck not allow it since it will know its in a lariat?

1 Like

Based on the VIN of the Lariat, I would say this would not work.

Wonder if changing the Vin in the APIM and TCU to one from a totaled platinum would trick it? I’m really wanting the built in nav in my lariat lol

any diagram of the sync 4 connector, cant make it boot on my current sync 3 setup (fiesta mk7.5 2013 EU model)

There is no programming option for that. The VIN is read from the BCM (and IPC?) over the CANBUS.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Well darn lol thanks for taking the time to answer my questions/thoughts I appreciate the help.

1 Like

Is a 2013 Fiesta C1CMA? Or CGEA 1.2? I know it is B479 Strategy, which is not an option in Sync 4.
It is confirmed on multiple websites that Sync 4 does not work on C1MCA.

@anon82059745 probably has an APIM connector pinout…

Used the STM32 on the CAN Bus to get the APIM to boot, and then swapped in a GWM on the Bus for the OBD interface. The APIM displays a CAN Error message but still allows UCDS to connect and read/write. My bench wiring needs to be tidied up so that I can have the STM32 and the GWM on the Bus at the same time is really what it comes down to.

Here’s a diagram of the connector for a 21 F150 - the pinout isn’t really any different than a Sync 3 vehicle besides what’s already been discussed in this thread. As mentioned by @F150Chief, I don’t think your boot issue is related to the connector wiring, it’s an architecture issue (and lack of support in your vehicles architecture).

1 Like

Sync 4 APIM Connector.pdf (296.7 KB)

There is a bit less wiring on the Sync 4 version. (Compared to my 2015 F-150.)

Came across this in PTS tonight. Thought it might be useful at some point when using a USB with SYNC 4.

1 Like

Just as an update, My APIM arrived, it stops the car network working when connected, can’t start the car, no dash etc… so i need to disconnect HSCAN pin 53/54 but i can’t easily do that on the factory wiring so am attempting to source relatively quickly a 54pin Harness extension