Questions about upgrading my Ford Fusion SE 2017 Sync version

I have been doing a lot of searching and I can’t find anything that will tell me which version I can upgrade to/from for my vehicle. I shouldn’t say “anything”. I did read through the documentation and am pretty confident I can upgrade to 3.4. There’s just nothing that explicitly says my particular year/model is compatible. I was hoping there was a chart somewhere that showed that compatibility.

Or maybe the make/model doesn’t really matter and it’s all based on the version of Ford SYNC you are coming from and going to?

Should I upgrade directly to the latest version?

I am also not able to upgrade anything past what I have now (3.0.19205) using the USB method or WiFi method recommended by Ford. Does that just mean that I am on the latest “officially” supported version already? Is there anything in 3.4 that won’t work in my 2017 Ford Fusion SE?

Will this version support Android Auto wireless, or is a physical hardware upgrade required for that feature?

Sorry for all the questions. I’m just new to this particular process and want to make sure I make the right decisions and avoid borking my car’s SYNC system.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.19205

New SYNC Version: N/A

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
N/A

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.10.6

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: Yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

You should be able to update to the latest Sync 3.0 version 3.0.20204 if you want to stay with Sync 3.0. The Syn3 Updater does not support Sync 3.0, but the files are available.

Correct.

No Sync 3 version supports CP or AA wirelessly. Sync 4 does but that is entirely different platform.

No. There should be no issues with upgrading to Sync 3.4 in your vehicle.

I think you are fine, just follow the instructions.
Docs - CyanLabs Official Community
You will be using the reformat mode, which will wipe the APIM completely. The application will decide this for you based on the inputted info. What you show above looks fine. This installation will take about 28 minutes once it starts. There will be a reboot in the beginning, just let the system do its thing. DO NOT remove the USB until you see the GREEN screen that says to do so.

Most importantly, take your time. We are here to assist if needed.

1 Like

Finally got around to working on this over the weekend. It couldn’t have gone more smoothly. What a great product this Syn3 Updater is! Worked exactly as advertised and I had zero problems with the upgrade. Glad to be on a newer, shinier version of Ford SYNC in my 2017 Fusion.

This version 3.4 upgrade does appear to have fixed the problem I was having with No Audio for Incoming Calls on my Pixel 2XL.

The other annoying issue I have that did NOT get resolved with the 3.4 upgrade is that when I am listening to a podcast (using DoggCatcher) via the Bluetooth connection, the Ford Sync will pause the podcast and not restart it whenever I rewind or fast-forward. I have to press play again to get it to resume. Not a big deal, but a little frustrating. This problem does not happen when I am using the wired connection and Android Auto.

2 Likes

That’s great that the upgrade fixed the phone issues for you. Glad it went well.

I looked up DoggCatcher and found that it has all kinds of audio issues described in their forum. My guess is that they have not implemented the BT audio support properly, or not included the proper audio profiles. I would say this is an app issue, not Sync.

1 Like