Retrofit TCU 2016 Mustang

Slick truck! Hey can i bother you for some info :sweat_smile: I want to retrofit my '16 mustang with fordpass tcu like your vehicle, i have been researching for a few months now via cyanlabs forum/ discord, f150 forums and a few other places but i cannot gather the correct part numbers i’d need that would be compatible. Hopefully im not over stepping any boundaries here im just out of ideas.

Gen 1 Sync 3 updated to 3.4

Thanks in advance any info at all is better than no info at all :call_me_hand:t3: :joy:

I moved your post to your own thread for discussion.

You should be able to retrofit a J series TCU into the Mustang without too much hassle. The only issue you will have will be with the older Sync APIM, as the 2016 Gen 1 APIM will not support the WIFI Hotspot functions. If you don’t care about that, you can source a TCU without WIFI. All other functions will work, but there could be some minor restrictions with the older APIM firmware. Honestly, the TCU addition with WIFI works best with a newer J or K series APIM.

Here is some reading I think you will find helpful.
2015-2018 Ford TCU Installation.pdf (5.6 MB)
APIM & TCU Files and Programming.pdf (2.1 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks :pray: I’m not so much worried about WiFi atm just wanting remote features I’ve got an obd WiFi unit from T-Mobile I use sometimes it’s kinda pointless seeing how I’ll never use it while driving. Right now I’ve got a pretty cool setup with my jailbroken iPhone and jailbroken APIM I can use any app on my phone using CarPlay. I just think it’d be fun and worth the effort to retrofit a modem. I appreciate the info :call_me_hand:t3:

If anyone was wondering how to use apps in CarPlay u must be jailbroken with a few tweaks called carbridge, CarPlay++.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.