Right Hand Drive Climate temperature backwards

I assume you mean 8th not 7th also as 7th is completely unrelated to climate
but i’m not sure how changing
from
9 = Dual Climate, HD Radio Enabled, DAB Enabled, Steering Wheel Angle Relative
to
B = Dual Climate, HD Radio Enabled, DAB Enabled, Steering Wheel Angle Absolute

Was going to help?

wicked it works but like the climate option its back to front adjust drivers via evac it adjusts passenger on screen my “x” was a 1 but changed it to “0”

? so is it the evac unit than needs replacing for a LHD one or are LHD & RHD units both the same ?

Assuming you are in the UK? no idea what if anything will fix the issue, i had the issue in my 2015 Focus ST but no longer have a car with Dual climate as have a Fiesta ST 2019 now instead

Apologises for the question but whats single climate repeater would that make a difference ?

The climate issue is most certainly not a hardware issue. This is something I have been looking in to heavily over the past few weeks. The communication between the HVAC system and APIM is done via MS-CAN. If you put a can bus scanner, you can filter down to just the HVAC messages.

When the BCM is configured as a RHD car, the HVAC sends an ID of 0 when the driver side is used and 1 when the passenger side is used. If you set it to LHD car it reverses those IDs. The problem is the APIM does not properly reverse the signals, it reads them as a LHD car no matter what you set the APIM to.

There is no hardware involved, everything is done via can bus messages so is entirely fixable by Ford if they chose to do so.

There is a fix but it’s not just straightforward. I used a Teensy 3.6 processor that has dual can bus. By putting that between the MS-CAN bus wires to the APIM, you can intercept the communication between the APIM and the car and modify the HVAC messages to/from the APIM and swap the IDs around. That makes the climate operate correctly on the APIM.

Unfortunately, I have not got this reliably working yet as the processor is, for some reason, dropping messages. I am trying to discover why. Once I have perfected it, it will fix the climate issue.

Ford must have their reasons why they do not want to spend any time fixing this.

If you think about it, this works perfectly on Sync 1 and 2. The only difference is the APIM (and the screen but that’s just a display). There is no physical wiring between the APIM and the HVAC, only can bus. Sync 2 and Sync 3 are wired identical.

I enabled the climate control screen on my Mk4 2019 RHD Focus just to see if it would work.
It seems to work fine.
Dual mode controls the correct side of the car from the screen and the HVAC.
I’m able to set temperature using voice commands too.

Yes this is because its a hardware issue with the Focus MK3 it may fixable by software but the underlying issue is the way the HVAC controls are wired on RHD Focus’s

incompetence, take a look at their code and look at the mess of it, some dodgy fixes and bad comments

1 Like

To be honest I am not quite sure how it can be a wiring issue. The HVAC control unit has 2 connectors. Virtually all the wires go to sensors (temperature sensors and sun sensor etc) with a few going to blower motors. Other than the power and ground wires, the only link to the outside world is the MS-CAN (pins 18 & 19).

Plus this worked with Sync 1 and Sync 2 and all hardware in the car other than the APIM (and the screen, but that doesn’t do anything with regards to processing) remains the same as with Sync 2. The Sync 3 wiring is identical to Sync 2 other than the media hub.

I must admit, scouring the web over this issue I have seen a couple of people mention hardware issue but there is absolutely no data whatsoever as to what this hardware issue is, how it was determined or wiring that is incorrect.

I doubt this ever will be fixed now it has got this far down the line and if it ever does work, they will just start this from a new model or version (such as Sync 4). Obviously the proportion of RHD cards they sell compared to LHD is much lower and I assume that not many owners have probably brought this up with Ford as the majority of UK owners that don’t carry out modifications have probably not even noticed or cared. It’s only really people like us that like to do all the things that Ford never intended us to do that actually know it works like this.

As far as I can see from actually logging the car messages, this is purely the APIM ignoring the APIM setting of driver location for HVAC messages. I am only playing around with it because I find the investigation of it interesting. Whether it works or not, at the end of the day it isn’t going to bother me.

2 Likes

Is this likely to be the same issue on a 2021 ford puma , seen on puma forums a person has added climate to the sync screen but not sure if the heated seats n steering wheel will work , what do people reckon the chances are

I have it all working correctly on a Mk4 (2019) Focus :+1:t3:

So thats the seats n steering wheel aswell from the climate screen , can you advise what needs changing in order for this to work ?

Thanx for your reply

Yes, seats and steering wheel buttons on the home screen and climate screen.

These are the changes I’ve made in FORScan

Here’s how it looks once enabled

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.