SYNC 3.0 Build 20204_PRODUCT Freezes in Android Auto maps

Hi All,

I recently started to experience constant freezes when using the Android Auto with USB cable.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable doesn’t solve the issue.
Switching the gear to Reverse and then back to Neutral or Drive solve the issue, but the maps freeze again after 5-10 minutes of driving.

My car:
2019 Ford Explorer

My Phone:
Samsung Galaxy S21
Android Version: 12 (Baseband: G991USQU5CVC4)

Here is what I tried so far:

1. Reset Sync to factory defaults
  2. Restart the phone
  3. Uninstall and reinstall Android Auto (both phone and sync)
  4. Replace the USB cable

I was wondering if upgrading to V3.4xx would solve the issue or if anyone here experienced the same issue.

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

New SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

Syn3 Updater Version:

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read:

Syn3 Updater Log File

I’m running that same build, and had not have any issues like yours.
Have you tried a different phone?.
Also, when frozen, is the unit completely unresponsive?.

Yes, I tried a different phone, same issues.
Yes, the touchscreen becomes non-responsive. sometimes clicking on the Power button would help but other times it would not respond either.

I did some additional testing and I think I narrowed down the cause.
It looks like it happens only when setting the google Maps to use satellite image instead of normal map
When switched to normal map the unit seemed to work fine again and didn’t freeze.

To try replicating the issue:

1. While in Google Maps, click on the settings
  2. Turn on the “Satellite” option
  3. Exit settings
  4. Type on the search field and search for an address
  5. Start navigation to this address

I went ahead and upgraded to V3.4.22020. The upgrade was successful but didn’t resolve the issue

Thank you for the detailed step by step for reproducing the error.
I’ll keep them in mind next time I’m in the car.
I will post back with the results.

Just for clarification purposes, after step 5 do you need to wait some time for it to freeze?, or it freezes like in the few moments after starting navigation?.

If upgrading to 3.4 didn’t fix it, then I’m not sure it’s Sync’s fault…

Nonetheless, I’ll try it and report back.

EDIT, added information

Well, after a 5 kms / 15 minutes drive after performing your instructions, everything kept working ok.

If you want me to test something else, just let me know.

This seems like a classic sign of power management on your device, make sure it’s fully updated both AA, Google Services and Android itself, also make sure that you aren’t using any 3rd party background killing apps

Android Auto seems like a bit broken though, since after using it my phone won’t turn the GPS off… This didn’t happen before… But, I do not get any freeze or issues like yours.

About the power saving setting I’m not sure about it, since Google is quite protective about their own apps… But, Samsung, so… yeah, worth checking it.

Also, I know it’s a personal preference, but oh man I hate the satellite image in GPSs… It makes it so much harder to see the actual roads…

Correct Google is! Samsung is ruthless for maximizing battery by any means though

Apriil 2022 - Cleanup