Sync 3.4 Black Screen

@granthanaway,

Did you make any progress on the asbuilt and APIM info?

Iā€™ve gotten the adapter, but the light on it is just red. Iā€™m not sure how to get it to change. Iā€™ve tried downloading the drivers it says to, but it hasnā€™t helped

If you are trying to use Parallels, I would suggest a native boot of Windows. Although Parallels should work, when doing any sort of module programming/configuration you want a reliable and stable connection.

When I first hooked up my OBDLink EX to my Windows 10 native boot it automatically configured drivers and was ready to go with a green light. That should be the case for you too Iā€™d think.

You might need FTDI drivers updated.

obdlink ex - FORScan forum

I ended up doing windows 10 through boot camp, however it is saying that the connection isnā€™t recognized when I plug it into the computer. Iā€™m having to use a USB A to USB C adapter because the Mac I have is only USB C ports

Hmm, I also have a MacBook with USB-C ports and bootcamp. I could try it out myself and see how it goes. Not entirely sure what else to suggest at this point. Did you install the FTDI drivers? Are the Apple drivers installed as well?

1 Like

Yea, I installed it all, a few times I think. Also, it could be the USB A to USB C adapter because I remember in the past, thereā€™s been a few times where it didnā€™t work. Gonna try to get a different one, and I think itā€™ll work then

1 Like

I was able to recreate the issue you haveā€¦

So here is something that Apple messed up with the new MacOS and USB-C ports. They are not very backward compatible and using a USB A to USB C adapter will not work, for the most part. Even Windows has issues with theirs, but not to this extent. (You would think that a manufacturer like Apple would do better at this.)

The solution is to connect a USB HUB to the USB-C port and connect the OBDLink EX to the hub.

This is the hub I use for this and other things, like HDMI, etc. It will go full speed for the EX adapter.
Amazon.com: USB C Hub 5-in-1 USB C to HDMI Adapter with SD MicroSD Card Reader and 2 USB3 Ports Compatible with MacBook Pro After 2016 MacBook Air After 2018 Dell XPS and Other Type C or Thunderbolt 3 Devices: Electronics

And here is FORScan running on Parallels VM, Win 10 Pro 20H2, on MacOS 11.2.3 using this adapter.
(Not connected to a vehicle.)

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I just order the adapter you link, and itā€™s coming tomorrow.

Also just received the new APIM module and it has a L at the beginning of it, so Iā€™m going to try and get a different one.

Repeating this again!

1 Like

Oh yea, my bad. Iā€™m sorry about that

No worries regarding the use of the L-series APIM, actually it might be better for you since they are faster and more reliable. Just ensure that your screen assembly is not part of a 2020MY+ series.

That new APIM actually probably already has 3.4 on it.

1 Like

HELP PLEASE!!! I didnā€™t understand the warning in the configurator and my MY20 screen is completely blacked out after it completed phase 1 of the reboot. I read the warning but since it warned about vehicles manufactured in 2020 not model year 2020 I proceeded with the update after confirming that my car was manufactured in 9/2019. I know, Iā€™m an idiot :face_vomiting:

How can I rescue this? Or what parts do I need to replace? I have used Forscan before and I work with computers and software every day. Can this be rescued?

You need to replace the APIM.
The leaked reformat tool does not contain the drivers for newer screens, thatā€™s why itā€™s black now. Sadly, thereā€™s nothing you could do to recover it other than replacing it.
And of course, do not reformat the unit again.

Granthanaway, maybe you would be willing to sell me your MY20 APIM since mine is now bricked?

You can likely find an APIM for a few hundred dollars, or if youā€™re lucky possibly cheaper.

If you want to discuss the selling or exchange of parts between users on this forum please use DMs in order to keep these threads on topic.

Apologies, I did look for a way to send a DM but I canā€™t find it, maybe because we are both new users and canā€™t send DM yet?

You should be able to now.

sorry, I read a lot in the past. But this is my first post here. Maybe I misunderstand something. If only the screen Drivers brick the 2020 APIM, than should it be possible to use the reformat tool with the 2020 APIM connected on a 2016+ screen.
I already testend this. But it also brick the APIM. Also 2021 APIM does brick by using the reformat tool.
is there any solution for 2020+ APIM?
Its very difficult to repair 2020+ APIM.

1 Like

We have some success cases of newer apims with older screens that workedā€¦ But everything you try, itā€™s on your own risk, even a successful my18 upgrade.

We also have cases like yours, where the unit is bricked.

So itā€™s not clear whatā€™s triggering itā€¦
But I do remember that thereā€™s also a theme that could give issues, since itā€™s been removed from 3.4ā€¦

A non reformat approach is available for NA and EU, but itā€™s being tested. Since it does not use reformat but autoinstall, bricking the unit is not an issue.