Sync 3.4 Black Screen

off the record: Yes!
on the record: i’d rather not go in to the methods to do this , i don’t want to be held liable for any further bricking.

2 Likes

I have a lot of newer Fords to convert from US to EU. In this case I think only with reformat tool remove US maps and add EURO maps. 2 of 10 APIM keep alive at reformat. 8 brick!
I also remove the APIM from the car connect it with an older screen and the APIM brick. No difference to the new 2020 screen.
If the APIM is bricked, its possible to flash new in boot mode, but difficult and need time.

Of the 8 vehicles that brick, what model vehicles are they? Which ones don’t brick? Different models have seen different results.

You are installing a cut down version of EU maps using the Syn3 Updater?

Ford GT Blue theme…

1 Like

Mustang and F-150

Which ones do not black screen? Do those screens work on the other units?

No rule to see. I don’t know why some units are possible to reformat and other ones not.

I think we spoke on Discord about this before, one idea I did have… You could try running the Forscan beta on each, and record exactly the calibration file and hardware version information for each vehicle, and post them up here. I wonder if we can find a common version. Potentially we may be able to identify a fix this way too…

1 Like

Personally i won’t support what is clearly a business, it’s up to the other moderators if they want to assist you though.

I going to this forum for helping not to make money! My experience can help someone to prevent brick his APIM.
I know, how to repair bricked APIM devices.
if you don’t like my answers, I can be quiet. Save time for me.

You have said you have many APIMs therefore clearly a business. If you know what to do then why are you asking for help?

CyanLabs comment on using an older screen to fix the black screen saved me… I tried to update my 2020 Explorer with the 2020 maps using the reformat. I ignored the warnings because it said manufactured in 2020, mine was July 2019… Nonetheless got a black screen, nothing worked trying to get it back. FORSCAN showed the APIM was fine, yet had a stored DTC with “Wrong Display”. Asked a friend if I could borrow his 2019 F150 screen after reading your post. Pulled my screen in 5 mins, pulled his screen in 5 mins, plugged it in and bam, it’s at the screen showing insert USB stick for reformat. Completed the reformat and updated maps and OS, swapped the screens back and I am on my way! Thank you everyone for the help and guidance. Thank you CyanLabs for everything you have done on this project, you are amazing!

5 Likes

To be fair his business is importing of entire cars and converting them rather than making money off converted apims, we had a long discussion about potentially being able use the data from imported 2020 vehicles that have black screened to work out if they can be unbricked

1 Like

Interesting there was a dtc created, do you have the exact info by any chance?

Here is the screenshot from FORScan:

1 Like

Looks like 2 network codes with a body code for the FDIM.

DTC U1A00:87
Set by the APIM when it sends a request over the I-CAN to the ACM and does not receive a valid response from the ACM on the SDL circuits in five seconds with at least three retries, or if there is a fault which would prevent data from being transmitted through any of the following

• Satellite radio coaxial cable between the ACM and satellite radio/ GPS splitter
  • Satellite radio/ GPS splitter
  • Rear satellite radio/ GPS coaxial cable
  • Satellite antenna

U0184 OBD-II: Lost Communication With Radio
Code U0184 is typically caused by one of the following:

• A dead battery
  • Radio problems
  • A problem with the CAN bus

B108E FORD - Display General Electrical Failure
B108E FORD Possible Causes

• Faulty Front Display Interface Module (FDIM)
  • Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) harness is open or shorted
  • Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM)

The U codes have nothing to do with the display issue. These are issue with the APIM itself on the CANBUS. The B code shows that the FDIM is an issue, which can be caused by the APIM itself or a side affect of the U code CANBUS issues.

1 Like

Fair enough, Not really sure if that changes anything though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.