Sync 3 APIM Bench Test Project Completed

So it does not work in the car either?
Which screen are you trying to use it with? 6.5" or 8"? Was the APIM configured for the correct screen?

No it doesn’t work in the car either. The screen came with the APIM and has been working when the guy i bought it off had it on the bench.

I’ve not been able to fire it up in the car or on the bench.

I don’t know then something is off and I can’t tell you what. Could be configuration, could be something broken. If you had an obd2 cable and forscan you could see if the APIM at least shows up.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/can-messages-for-newer-non-sync-radios/

I have already opened a thread, because I would like to run my radio at the bench. And since that’s what this post is about I was advised to post here as well, which I am now doing.

Maybe someone here has an idea how I can get the radio to start.

This seems like the perfect group for this question, I really hope it is.
I build custom vehicles, right now i am building a 2003 f250 with a 2014 f250 platinum interior. a background on me is 25 year mechanic with a background in computers and robotics so i have a little of everything. My question is . I am planing on using an aftermarket android testla style radio designed for the 2015, the trucks wiring is 2003 does anyone have a pin out for the audio out of a factory sync 2? it is my understanding that the audio leaves the radio to a rear amplifier. Is this true? if so i will use aftermarket amplifiers. I will just need to find the audio signals. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Just go to Ford and pay them the $20 for 72 hour access to Oasis and you will have everything you need for this project!

- FordServiceInfo.Com (motorcraftservice.com)

1 Like

I loaded the project and was able to build, however when I try to upload I get the following error.

Error: open failed
in procedure ‘program’
** OpenOCD init failed **
shutdown command invoked

*** [upload] Error 1

Is the bluepill stm32 board connected to the computer? Is it showing up as a COM port in device manager?

Also, try and comment out “upload_flags = -c set CPUTAPID 0x2ba01477” in platform.ini , if you have a real stm32 board

Thanks for the reply. After loading the project in Platformio, I copied the firmware.bin to the ST Utility and programmed it to the BluePill. Can I program the BluePill this way? Also, how do you update the APIM via USB? I see there is 12v and GND but what about data?

platform = ststm32
board = bluepill_f103c6
framework = arduino
lib_deps = exothink/eXoCAN@^1.0.3
upload_flags =
-c
set CPUTAPID 0x2ba01477

Still get this error:

xPack OpenOCD x86_64 Open On-Chip Debugger 0.11.0+dev (2021-10-16-21:19)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
OpenOCD: Bug Reporting
debug_level: 1

0x2ba01477
hla_swd
none separate

Warn : UNEXPECTED idcode: 0x1ba01477
Error: expected 1 of 1: 0x2ba01477
in procedure ‘program’
** OpenOCD init failed **
shutdown command invoked

*** [upload] Error 1

Where can I purchase a legit STM32 BluePill??

Change

upload_flags = -c set CPUTAPID 0x2ba01477

to

upload_flags = -c set CPUTAPID 0x1ba01477

xPack OpenOCD x86_64 Open On-Chip Debugger 0.11.0+dev (2021-10-16-21:19)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
OpenOCD: Bug Reporting
debug_level: 1

0x1ba01477
hla_swd
none separate

target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread
xPSR: 0x01000000 pc: 0x08001f00 msp: 0x20002800
** Programming Started **
** Programming Finished **
** Verify Started **
** Verified OK **
** Resetting Target **
shutdown command invoked
[SUCCESS] Took 5.92 seconds

I think that did the trick…

1 Like

The fake one seems to work “ok” for this. I am not sure where you can purchase real ones. It’s hard to know what you are getting based on the sellers description as the sellers lie.

I agree. I connected the usb with 12v and a mini USB cable but the Sync 2 says that the USB is not supported. Im connecting this wrong? The mini USB cable I bought connects to USB1 on the back of the APIM (Dark Plug). Could it be the USB hub I purchased? It has USB A and USB C interface on it.

The older Sync2 does not support the same hubs as the Sync3… you have to use an older usb2.0 hub version. Also only the new Sync3 ones have USB-C

Thanks for all the help. Everything is working. Learned a lot. Much appreciated.

1 Like

I am using your STM32 can bus simulator to test and program APIM modules. I have noticed one issue with this simulator, it doesn’t work with SYNC 3 APIM modules manufactured in 2019 and 2020. However, those APIM modules are working fine in my Ford Escape 2013. Do I need to make any changes to the CAN bus messages to turn on SYNC 3 APIM modules manufactured in 2019 and 2020? Also, can I use this simulator to program FCIM and ACM modules?