Sync 3 hardware specs

Hi, I’m curious if someone has the detailed tech secs of the APIM modules for sync 3 fords. What’s the major limiting factor that lets the 2019+ vehicles get version 3.4 from ford and not others (or would the dealer do the upgrade to 3.4 for $$$)? How did the hardware evolve from the first sync 3 vehicles to the later years. Thank you!

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Install Type: Original OEM / Stock

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

New SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

Syn3 Updater Version:

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read:

Syn3 Updater Log File

Just like any computer product, the Sync APIM’s have evolved over the years with better hardware to support more or different feature sets. The most recent major upgrade/change was the introduction of what is termed MY18.5 APIM’s. These differ from the Pre-MY18.5 units with updated hardware, including memory, processing power, etc. More recent changes include improvements to the processor environmental settings, etc.

Ford Service Departments will not (or are not authorized) update your Sync 3.0 (Pre-MY18.5) to Sync 3.2+ (MY18.5+). There is no mechanism available to them to do so.

Okay! Interesting, they took a very different approach to sync 3 than then did with the previous 2 versions. 3.4, for the most part, will still run on the more dated hardware without much issue? Debating if I want to do the full reformat in my 2016 mustang. Thanks again, community threads are fantastic for gaining knowledge.

1 Like

Unless there is some issue with the APIM already, most Sync 3 units will run fine with Sync 3.4.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.