Sync 3 to Sync 4 Apim Swap

So I did this several years ago in my f150 without issue. I recently swapped my 2018 expedition sync 3 apim for a sync 4 apim. My issue is forscan doesn’t show any apim after the swap.

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Unknown

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 253

New SYNC Version: 253

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

Did you try deleting the profile and starting a new one? Or maybe using a profile that has Sync 4? if you can get one?

Did you add the missing bus lines?

I started a new profile which didn’t resolve the issue. I loaded the old profile which shows APIM but when I click it, it returns an error.

Add missing bus lines? Not sure what mean. I did remove pin 54 and 53.

What’s more strange is the volume display works, which I believe was an issue previously . Ordered a SYNC 4 APIM, lets see what happens once it arrives! - #93 by Alex16s

You may have to try a different Forscan version or contact them for support.

It’s the most current version, worked fine with the sync 3. I think the apim might be bad. Do I need a make specific (expedition) one or can any apim work so long as you edit the settings correctly?

Well, Sync4 runs mainly on the HS4 bus which your 2018 doesn’t have unless you’ve changed out the GWM and adding the wiring to it.
The steering wheel/FCIM volume controls ride on the HS3 bus which your 2018 does have.

What version? You will likely need the 2.4.x version and may need to contact FORScan support for a specific build for your vehicle.

There have been many successful Sync 4 installations in 2015-2020 F-150’s, 2018+ Expeditions, and a variety of other Ford vehicles which are CGEA 1.3. This architecture uses HS3-CAN for all major communications with the vehicle in Sync 3 and Sync 4. HS4-CAN was introduced later in 2019 production year for specific purposes like TCU communication and has been mostly replaced by ethernet in Sync 4 applications, which requires specific hardware. Sync 4 will work fine in a CGEA 1.3 vehicle but will have a limited feature set due to limitations of the vehicle, options, and subscribed services. Quite frankly many early adopters found the conversion to be not worth the effort and a lot of folks who performed the conversions went back to Sync 3.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.