Sync 3 Update from version 3.2.16074 - Go to Latest Version Available or ???

Looking for opinions about what Sync 3 upgrade level to use to maximize the probability of a trouble-free upgrade experience. I am building an upgrade usb for my relatives to use with their 2016 Lincoln MKX. They are not local to me and are not computer-literate so I need to set them up with the best chance for a problem-free usb update, even if that might mean not upgrading to the very latest version. Any suggestions? Latest available or ??? Thx

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.2.16074

New SYNC Version: 3.4.23188

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
N/A

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.12.5.0

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

N/A

“Go to the latest available”, it’s the normal answer.
If you want to avoid any possible issues, you should not be updating the system.
There’s a reason as to why there’s a saying that reads “if it’s not broken, do not fix it”.

If you can’t be there for any hiccup that may happen I would not update the system.

I understand what you are saying. The “what’s broken” part is that their map data is very out of date. Is there any option to do a map data update only, or does updated map data generally also require a system level update? It’s not obvious to me if it is available.

Here’s the deal: the process itself is, generally speaking, safe.
I’m only giving you that “warning” because you said the folks are not local to you (hence, there’s some distance) and they are not computer-literate… So to me that means that if something happens, even if it’s a silly thing to troubleshoot, it will be an issue because of the 2 factors you mentioned.

Now, to your latest question: yes, you can upgrade just the maps as well, but it’s a lengthy process. If they are on 3.2.16074 they can just update maps, but depending on the region and the maps being ESN locked they may not be able to upgrade to the latest map versions.

So, summing up:

• you could update just maps (lengthy process)
  • you can reformat the unit and install all the latest packages (recommended, it’s cleaner and faster)

Is the vehicle NA or EU?. Are you super sure the unit is OEM?

Again, the process is pretty straight forward…

Yes, I’m asking these questions because I recognize the trouble I’m in for if this update process goes sideways with me being so far away. I just used your updater process to bring my 2017 Explorer up to the latest Sync 3.4 version with no issues and I’d like to repeat the experience with my relative’s Lincoln MKX. I like the newer UI and I think they would too, along with updated maps.

This Lincoln MKX is a NA model, and it is running the original OEM Sync hardware and software per the Ford Sync update website info for this VIN.

Is the “reformat unit and install the latest packages” you mention what your standard update process does?

I’ll raise a small flag here since you’re having to do this from far, far away.
The G/H series APIMs are the ones with the highest risk of bricking from the reformat.
If this is a 2016 they are not going to be on 3.2.16074 unless you’ve previously done a reformat on this to et them off 3.0.x.

If they are really on 3.2.16074 your least risk is going to be to get them on NA2.20 maps, that doesn’t require a reformat, just a long drive for the update to complete.

I have the “About Sync” info from their system; it is definitely at 3.2.16074. They purchased the vehicle used some years ago so it could’ve been previously updated.
The ESN is “T67U0139” and the SYNC serial number is “WV8Y6Y2J”. Their maps version is “NA 1 15” so they could certainly use the “NA 2 20” maps update.

They purchased what was supposed to be a map update direct from Ford recently, but they are not sure it is doing anything when they plug it in. They get the on-screen msg indicating the update is underway, but then there is no indication of anything happening. The thumb drive access led does not even blink.

Their Ford map update flash drive SyncMyRide folder contains these *.tar.gz files:
* GB5T-14G386-ZA
* HB5T-14G386-TAC
* HB5T-14G386-TKC
* JR3T-14G421-CG
* JR3T-14G422-CK
* JR3T-14G423-CB
* JR3T-14G424-CG
* LUST-14G386-BB

Could this just be a case of them not waiting long enough for the update to complete? How long does a map update typically take?

First red flag, which I asked before:

Since it’s an used car the answer is no, they can’t be sure.
If for whatever reason the unit is MY20 (i.e. replacement unit) reformatting it would kill it.

So have them create and run an interrogator log against the unit and share the XML file.

A true Ford map update takes between 75 and 90 minutes from my experience on anything older than 2018, anything newer takes 45-70 minutes.
The update copies the files in one at a time. starts by deleting the existing “old” file and then has to decompress the new file which is a tar ball and copy it into the APIM.
Not all USBs have an activity LED or in some cases its really hard to see.