Sync 3 upgrade From Sirius to Siriusxm with ACM change

Hi upgraded long time ago my 2013 Lincoln MKX to sync 3 and it all works fine but I would like to see about changing to get higher channels with SiriusXM as I have Sirius only currently. I read that some changes have to be made to wiring connection and a different ACM. Can anyone help with this I tried the searches and it just a Rabbit hole loop.

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: Retrofit

Old SYNC Version: 3.4.24188

New SYNC Version: 3.4.23188

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: Na

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

NA

There is a pair of wires that need to be added from the ACM to the APIM. This is well documented on here. You also need an ACM that is capable of the newer SiriusXM features.

Any help on what I would need to look for as far as part number etc.

Now sure if your vehicle architecture is CGEA 1.2 or 1.3 so without knowing that I have no recommendations.

Biggest thing you’re going to run into is that NONE of the X40 ACM which have a CD in them will be a direct plug in (Ford went to A2B starting in 2017)

The other thing you want to make sure of here is that the label part number starts with an L (as in LA1T), some of the parts places will show 2019 units (which are not X40) as being the same as the 2020MY units (which are X40)

This is one from the Edge without the A2B

How would I know that anyway I can check with forscan or something else.

The Edge part number is above.
If you want to check a donor VIN you can do that by going to:
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/SetCountry?returnUrl=%2FAsbuilt%2F

Check the VIN looking at 7D0-08-01 to see if it shows Pre-X40 SDARS (as yours currently should) or X40.

Yes I checked and it shows Pre-X40 SDARS

I’m referring to the donor.
Its a simple smoke test just to verify what you’re being sold is from a car Ford shipped with X49.

Ok but would that mess me up when flashing with USB any updates as it asks for my20 or would that not apply because that’s my20 upgrading stuff is for the apim and not the acm

You’ve got 2 different things going on here.

The ACM has to be from a 2020MY+ to be X40 capable, when you put this in rather than the current PRE X40 that you have you’ll have to add wiring to use it in your car and make changes to the config on your APIM (more than likely changing to Legacy X40) and write your current ACM AB into the X40 unit.

Looking at the donor’s VIN JUST lets you verify that what you’re being sold is an X40, you’re checking if the AB has it as X40 in the APIM settings. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE THIS AB in your car. The ACM has no effect on your ability to upgrade/reformat/ etc the APIM via the USB.

Your APIM has to have an X40 compatible firmware/calibration level in it, I’ve been able to use MY2020 & some MY2019 APIMS for this. If your current one is an G/H/J it may not have the logic to support an X40 ACM.