Sync not allowing update

Hi all! Wanting to update to CarPlay and I have SYNC 3. I have followed all instructions for manual update with the USB drive. My USB Drive is 32gb and is formatted correctly l. I have a MacBook so I used that tutorial via the YouTube video on the website. Everything is uploaded correctly I believe on the usb. I go to plug the usb into the truck for the update and all I get it “device detected” and no update bar. I have tried mast reset and nothing. Maybe someone can help with my issue? Thank you!

Edit. Trying to update to the latest available version. Which is somewhere around 3.4. My bad.

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.1

New SYNC Version: 3.4

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
No error message

Update Method: CyanLabs Manual Method

To begin with the previous and required sync versions are equal and so pretty pointless. Post the structure of your USB device.

I’m not too smart with tech. How do I do that exactly?

You could start by reading the extensive documentation available here BEFORE you press the wrong button and grenade your vehicle.

More brick than grenade…
Parts don’t go flying all over.

You stick to your analogies and i’ll stick to mine.

1 Like

I’m not sure why me asking a question has to follow with a rude response… I’m just asking a question… I followed every step on the video and did exactly as instructed. Everything is formatted correctly. ExFat ect everything else. I’m
Simply asking a question to people that know this technology better.

I’m not sure how much clearer i can make the answer without upsetting your feelies further, ALL the answers are in the documentation HERE in the forum.

You obviously got as far as downloading the updater software then toddled off blindley pressing buttons, others in here have done the same and are sitting in cars with doorstops sitting in their dashboard where expensive components used to reside and they then resort to reading the instructions which all along were hiding in plain sight here :> Syn3 Updater - CyanLabs

1 Like

You have to look at it from our perspective…
I’m sure this is the first time for you, and you will most likely be gone after a successful upgrade (like most users do), but for us it’s a “constant” flow of this type of questions… And yes, ALL the process is extremely well documented, you are not the first one to try this… It’s been years of constantly polishing the procedure (and documentation)…

Do you realize the “information” you provided is just “it does not work” without providing any meaningful troubleshooting information?. You even failed to provided the correct current and target Sync3 version…

It was asked before for you to provide the USB file/folder structure, you didn’t do that. Just keep in mind that if your knowledge is that limited, you may want to re-consider upgrading or getting a windows computer that will do “everything” for you.

I’m saying this because if you can’t answer when asked for the USB structure, should something go “wrong” you may not be able to resolve it on your own easily.

You said you followed the guide, but if you followed it correctly, you should had been able to upgrade without issues.

So, since you are not experienced with tech and you are using a Mac (bad combination), here are a few request and tips:

• ensure files are properly named and not uncompressed
  • again, provide information on how the USB is created. That is, the root’s contents and the SyncMyRide folder’s contents as well. A screenshot will suffice.
  • provide the contents of whatever .lst files you have on the USB 's root.
2 Likes

So theoretically using windows for the update is going to be way simpler? I just don’t own a windows computer but I’m sure I can get my hands on one. I can just erase everything from the hard drive and start over then? I’m gonna try that next. I’m just stuck on like the earliest version of sync 3 and my big thing is map updates. My maps are super out of date. Thanks. Sorry for the confusion!

The automated process is simpler, yes. (Like any automated process).

As long as you provide the correct information to the tool, the tool will create the required USB for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.