Sync Update Failed - Non-responsive Black Screen

I have a 2016 F-150 Lariat equipped with Sync 3 & Nav.

I attempted to update my Sync software via USB (I have done this in the past successfully). I downloaded the update package from Ford’s site that I believe to be version 3.0.20204 (JR3T-14G381-AX). I started the update process in the truck via USB. After about 45 minutes, the USB and display were essentially non-responsive. Thinking the process was hung, I aborted. The next day upon starting the truck, my screen is black, and the radio/SYNC are completely non-responsive. I tried to reset SYNC with the power/right seek combo, as well as disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 minutes. Both attempts failed.

I am able to see the APIM via FORScan.

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: GJ5T-14G371-CFC
Calibration level: GJ5T-14G371-CJU
Strategy : GB5T-14G374-AF
Calibration: GB5T-14G375-CA

Can I use FORScan to re-program my APIM and recover?

This is an APIM from a 2016/17 Ford Escape, so I am guessing this is a Sync upgrade.

Do you know what the previous Sync version was before you started the upgrade?
It may be possible to recover the unit, but we need to know where you started.

F150Chief,

This is the original APIM that was in the truck when I bought it. I previously updated the Sync software to accommodate Apple CarPlay (I added the updated USB hub too) several years ago, but don’t recall what Sync version that was. Does the info below add any value?

20220708_pre

HN1T-14G381-SA is Sync 3 version 2.2.17011

I can suggest 2 things to maybe recover the unit.

1. Install the original software, HN1T-14G381-SA is Sync 3 version 2.2.17011. You can download the file and place it in a SyncMyRide folder on the USB, and place this autoinstall file in the root of the USB.
    autoinstall.lst (172 Bytes)

2. Install the firmware using the new GB5T-14G374-AF.VBF file. The original file which is no doubt in your unit has issues. This has been identified and there is a new file available. This requires a paid license for FORScan and a good USB adapter.

Keep in mind this is a very old unit and could just have issues anyways. Sometimes these are not recoverable.

@F150Chief

Thanks for the response. My USB port is non-responsive, so I will try option 2 and let you know how it came out.

Do you need the files?

See you messages…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.