Sync3 manual update not working

I use a Mac and so followed the video tutorial step by step (or so I thought) but I get an error that says ‘Bad Installation File - One or more of the files being installed on your system did not install successfully’. Reformatted Memorex 128GB USB to EXFAT, put autoinstall.lst and reformat.lst in main usb then all 16 tar.gz files in the folder I created ‘SyncMyRide’.

I’ve tried doing this several times I’m obviously just screwing something up. Help!

*I took photos of the error message on console and also screenshots of the USB Drive and how I have everything in there, just don’t know how to upload to this thread or if it’s possible

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 20204

New SYNC Version: 20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
Bad Installation File - One or more of the files being installed on your system did not install successfully

Update Method: CyanLabs Manual Method

Please do, you can just “copy&paste” them here while typing a new message, or even dragging the files.
Do not send multiple messages, put everything in a single message.

For the text files, you could just copy and paste the text, the screenshot is not required…

You are missing the reformat package, so double check you copied all the required files.
Since that one is missing, others may as well.

That was it - just had to download the reformat thing and now it’s updating. Thanks for your help!

Everything updated, but CarPlay doesn’t work, won’t even come up. Assuming I need a new USB hub. Does anyone know a link for that?

Did it work before?

Here → Media Hub, CarPlay Compatible - 2015-2020 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3

No, it never has worked. Thought the update would fix it, but I guess I need to replace usb hub?

Not a good sign, I’m running 3.0 and Car Play works.

At this point, it’s unclear. Do you have a “hub no supported” message displayed?.
Can you try an Android phone to trigger Android Auto?

No, no errors pop up and don’t have access to an android unfortunately

Have you master reset ?

no not yet. Should I do that now?

Well, yes… why do you think it’s instructed in the tutorial?

Do it and report back.

Oops, must have missed that. Did master reset and now I’m getting the usb hub not supported error

Well, that “error” is expected. And I assume CP still does not work.
Try changing the hub to see if CP gets activated.

I asked about Android Auto because you might be able to get Android Auto working without changing the hub.

Thanks for all your help

You are welcome.

Just to manage expectations, let me tell you there’s a chance Car Play won’t work even after changing the USB hub.

As I said before, the “HUB NOT SUPPORTED” message is expected when upgrading on older hardware. And it’s also true that a new HUB is required for Car Play.

We had reports in the past that if an intermediate Sync3 2.2.17xxx version was skipped (even by Ford’s upgrade path) on older vehicles, Car Play would not get activated on Sync3 3.0. From that point, some users got it working after upgrading to 3.4 from 3.0, but some said it didn’t work either.

We hope you are in the first group of users that will get Car Play once the HUB is replaced.
Either way, you need a new HUB to get rid of that message.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.