Sync3 stuck on "please insert usb" screen

Thank you.

That’s EXACTLY what I suspected, you omitted some crucial information that’s on that thread. It’s not like the user said “oh, it failed” and right away created a new USB that worked.

No, the initial process failed AFTER 40 minutes, which I covered in my previous message. After that, nothing worked until the next day, surely because the unit went out of protection mode (thermal or voltage protection).
He happened to use a no-nav USB, but that’s irrelevant, since the process started.

What I’ve said before and the user told us in that thread makes sense, completely.
It was a faulty HUB.

Anyways, try it since you have nothing to loose, but it’s not the same scenario, not at all, since your process it not even starting (hence, the USB is not being accessed / recognized)

I had precisely the same problem with my 2017 F150 XLT going from 3.0 to 3.4 with mapping. Initially, It accepted the USB drive, did the quick first shut down and when it restarted it asked to insert the USB drive. It was still in - I hadn’t touched it. No matter what I did it remained on that screen asking for the drive. I tried 3 different drives - nothing. I couldn’t even tell I inserted them. Yes, it would still charge my phone. Tried all drives in both receptacles - nothing. No lights on the drives at all.

Finally, out of desperation I tried using a Samsung EVO Select (3) 64 gig micro sd card and a Card Reader. The reader was a Ugreen from Amazon - Amazon.com. With the card installed I plugged the reader in and IT WORKED!!! It ran both the Sync update to 3.4 and the map to the current version. Total loaded on the SD card was 13.6 gigs. My guess is it wasn’t the sd card that made the difference but rather the Reader.

I really hope this helps you. I know I was sweating bullets.

New USB module installed. Update completed as it was supposed to. Part # HC3Z-19A387-F

-Sandisk 3.0 64G flash drive- SYNC 3.4.22251 -2021 maps

For anyone getting the HC3Z 19A387 F replacement I had to take the usb module out of its housing and put it into my old one because the new one housing was too large. I had Ford order the part off my VIN number so this may happen to others.

Thank you all for the support.

Awesome, thank you for the update on the topic.
We are glad you were able to recover the unit, enjoy your upgraded system!, remember to master reset if you haven’t done so already.

Sadly, faulty HUBs are not that easy to troubleshoot, since it’s more common to see failing or bad USB pendrives. But, you got it working in the end.

Take care.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.