Traffic Updates

Hi, a perplexing question rather than an issue. I have a 2017 model Focus, with full navigation. For the first 3 years while on warranty I also had traffic updates via the Ford app on my smart phone (or so I thought) that popped up on the sync navigation. After the 3 years I paid a monthly fee to continue, until the system changed and as I don’t have a modem the updates stopped. I uninstalled the ford app.
However I still get traffic updates!! Recently there was an accident near us that shut the main road, within 30 minutes of the accident the navigation showed the road as shut and offered a detour.
The question is : How? Is there a mobile sim in the car?

SYNC Region: EU

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3

New SYNC Version: 3.4

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: CyanLabs Manual Method

Do you have a phone paired to your car that has an air-time contract?

My phone is paired to the car by bluetooth, yes. ‘Air time’ is not a phrase I know, do you mean a mobile data contract? If so then yes, but as far as I know the car sync has no permission to access the phone’s data plan, and there is no app running on the phone that would allow data download to the car.
Thanks for your interest!
john

I thought they got the info over FM signals in EU? I know this is a setting in Forscan to have it on.

1 Like

That’s correct, outside of NA the ACM has TMC enabled on it.
I’ve yet to find something in the APIM/ACM that will let it work on an NA vehicle, my gut is that it’s disabled by virtue of having the Sirius IC in the ACM.

1 Like

Interesting, I know you can get traffic updates on the fm radio, but are you saying that the sync navigation module also gets these and then decodes them or is it a dedicated fm channel for sat navs?

John

I have never been in the EU so I could not tell you. Thats my understanding it works that way but I am sure others that are on the EU in the know might be able to clear that up.

In the US the only way is through Sirius for SYNC 3.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.