Unable to update, always get INSTL_ERR12

I’m fairly certain I will end up having to get a new APIM, but wanted to double check if there is any additional tool/method I might be able to use.

I’m on Sync 3.4.22251. After vehicle shutoff the unit is reverting back to default settings, doesn’t remember bluetooth connection, screen color scheme is reverts to “auto”.
When I tried to update to a newer version using Syn3Updater (which I used to get from 3 to 3.4) I get the error INSTL_ERR12. I tried downgrading, attempted to jailbreak, the RW Data cleaner. I’m also unable to run the Interrogator log. Each time I put in the USB, I see the prompt at the top of the screen recognize the drive, attempt to install, and end in the same error.

From what I’ve researched and read from other users I’m assuming the RWdata is at capacity, or that there is an actual issue with the module. So I have begun looking around at APIM modules.

Two main questions: When looking at APIM modules, are there any particular ones to look for/or look out for?
Also, are there any additional tools or methods I could try to get my current unit up and running? With the USB seemingly rejecting any command I’m at a loss.

Thanks for any input!

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.4.22251

New SYNC Version: 3.4.22251

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
Error Code: INSTL_ERR12

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.12.2.0

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

Unable to retrieve due to INSTL_ERR12.

Hello.

Avoid “shady” online sellers, do not buy anything from China.
Also, it’s desirable to avoid MY20 hardware so that you can reformat it should you need/desire to do so. So look for a J or K series APIM, which generally speaking are not MY20… L “and up” are MY20… You can also check our DB for reference → SYNC 3 APIM Hardware Database - CyanLabs
Try asking for a picture of the sticker… Take into consideration that the DB is user driven, so there’s always a chance that a MY20 model has not yet been identified as such…

All known methods for troubleshooting that condition are documented here → APIM Sync Settings Not Saving, VER_ERR08 Errors, Cannot Perform Master Reset or Upgrades/Updates (Solved)
If none of those work, we do not have anything else to recommend.

The only thing that does not rely on the USB is the SR → SR → MR sequence…
You only need to free up some storage for the rwdata clenar to run…
Also, try removing your phone (which I believe it’s an iPhone) from Sync3…

I did not try the reset in that order. I thought doing two soft reboots in a row was how you cleared a bit of space.
Do you have to follow it up with a master reset then as well?

ALWAYS Master Reset after any updates.

Being able to perform a MR is a good indirect way to tell the SRs had a positive effect… If MR keeps failing then it’s irrelevant… If you read the guide you will see that MR is “optional but recommended”…

Happy to report that I was able to resolve the issue!

What I ended up doing was doing two SR back to back, the followed up with a ME immediately after. Now it did not work right away, the MR would end up hanging. I don’t know if this is “advised” or not, but I committed about 20 minutes to doing this repeatedly.
Looked kinda like this: SR > SR > MR - if MR froze, I’d do SR, wait 1 minute, the do SR > SR > MR.

After running this cycle about 12 times it eventually worked. MR took, and was able to run the RW Data cleaner, and then update to 21388.

Thank you for the assistance! Saved me a trip to the Ford tech ( for now, at least)

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, I’m glad it eventually worked!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.