Update from 2.0.16074 (non nav) to latest ford version failed and blank screen

Not really, the names give them away.
There’s one thing that I could think of, but I’m shooting in the dark here.
Since you already have Forscan and an adapter, check which theme does the unit has.
You can find the code here → Sync 3 APIM Database - CyanLabs - Visual Design Variants (VDV) Sync Versions 3.0 Thru 3.4

Another thing I would try, is unplugging the battery for 30 minutes or so to force the modules to reset…

As you can see, I’m running out of ideas.

Sorry mate, total noob question

But how do i use that database? How will i find the modules theme

No worries.
The link I provided goes to the value, you just need to scroll down.
This is what you need to check on your unit:

DE02/7D0-03-01: xxxx-**xx-xxxx

Values

Visual Themes Sync Versions 3.0 thru 3.3
00=Ford Classic (Blue Theme, Multi-colored Buttons) (Default Theme Ford)
01=Ford Timeless (Blue Theme, Blue Buttons)
02=Lincoln Timeless (Gold Theme, Black Icons)
03=Lincoln Next (Gold Theme, White Icons) (Default Theme Lincoln)
04=Ford GT (All Blue Theme for 2017 Ford GT) (N/A Sync 3.2 after My18.5)

For that, you need to check the asbuilt values via forscan.

Ahh i get ya, ok so i had i think version 2.2 maybe of forscan installed… and i couldnt program the module… i could do the as built data i got from ford tho… so i wrote the data to the module which worked fine. I then read about the beta version of forscan and being able to program the unit… i downloaded and installed the beta 3 version, programmed the apim to the recommended version and now i cant install the asbuilt data as it says theres a problem. It will however let me try to program the apim, which says to me it isnt dead. If that makes sense

Just a clarification, I’m not talking about reprograming anything yet.
There are not really a lot of reasons as to why an autoinstall would fail with a black screen.
One of those reasons may be theme related.
So, assuming the autoinstall was able to install 3.0 maybe the boot sequence does not complete because of an incompatible theme configuration.
If so, it’s an easy fix.
So with forscan, check asbuilt value DE02/7D0-03-01: xxxx-**xx-xxxx

7D0-03-01 0200 0003 03E3

00=Ford Classic (Blue Theme, Multi-colored Buttons) (Default Theme Ford)

that should be fine

Your Illumination Strategy is blank, which indicates an issue with the firmware, probably a compatibility issue. Were you able to successfully program the firmware to the -AGF calibration level? Or are you still at -ABB?

You need to program the correct Illumination file for the calibration level.You should force program the original files for -ABB. You need GB5T-14G379-BA.
GB5T-14G379-BA.VBF (1.6 KB)

3.0 APIM NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2016-Early 2017, G-Early H Series)
GB5T-14G376-AA
GB5T-14G374-CB
GB5T-14G375-AA
GB5T-14G379-AA
GB5T-14G379-BA

See this doc for more information, APIM Firmware Flash Rescue - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community but to program the Illumination file:
With the vehicle off, only flash the following:
SBL: GB5T-14G376-AA.VBF
ECU Config/Sound Profile (CAN): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Config/Illumination Strat (CAN): GB5T-14G379-BA

See if this works…

@Screwy any update from your side?.

Morning, im currently working away so not had chance to have a go at it. Ill be having a go at it at the weekend when i’m home.

Just want to say thanks in advance for the help from you guys

Hi guys, i tried to program the illumination strategy as advised. It still pops up saying module may be bricked

Were you able to successfully program the firmware to the -AGF calibration level? Or are you still at -ABB? Ignore the Illumination file for now…

Ho no it wont program to agf. It is still stuck at abb

So we’ll assume the APIM firmware version is HP5T-14G371-ABB.
What state is the APIM in at this point?
Is it bricked with a black screen?

Have you tried to rewrite the original firmware to the module? If not, try this and see if the unit will recover.

1. Disconnect power from the APIM completely for 5 minutes.
  2. Connect power.
  3. Program the original firmware to the unit. (Force Program)
  4. Reboot APIM, see if this works. If it does not work, you probably should start looking for a new APIM.

If that is successful, then update the software first before anything else.

If you are on Sync 2.1 or below, as you are on version 2.0.16074, you MUST install Sync 2.2.17011 before you can update to Sync 3.0.20204. This deletes a disc overlay that Ford used. The installation file you got from Ford assumes that you are upgrading from the previous version of Sync, not version 2.0.16074.

Once you are on Sync 2.2.17011 (HN1T-14G381-SA), then you can upgrade to Sync 3.0.20204 (JR3T-14G381-AX).

Let us know how you would like to proceed and provide the information above.

Yes bricked with black screen. I have tried to write the factory firmware to the unit, it gets so far and says something went wrong, unit could be bricked… it does however clear and write all the blocks on the apim but when it finishes it comes up with thay error saying could be bricked. Ill try pulling power to the unit first as youve said. Thanks for the time you are taking on this. Its much appreciated.

Also something to try is to load the GB5T-14G375-H* file into the unit. Yes, it is for the NAV units, but if the Calibration file has an issue this should clear it. You can reprogram the -AA file back if you like. You can probably download the -H* file thru FORScan.

Will give this a go thank you

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.