updating a 2020 edge

I have downloaded the used the cyanlabs updater on my 2017 ford escape. I want to update my 2020 edge but it says it will brick cars made in 2020 and newer. the website says there is a version that I can use but it just takes me to the one I have now which is 2.12.5.0 and it says I need 2.6. Can I use the older one and if not where can I find the latest version for 2020 vehicles, thanks

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.4.19200

New SYNC Version: 3.4.23188

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.12.5.0

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

I haven't updated yet

I do not know what you are trying to say by this.

It does not matter which Syn3Updater version you use, you can’t reformat MY20 with Syn3updater. So keep MY20 protection active, you can only use autoinstall installations.

1 Like

If your already on Sync 3.4 than you can use Cyanlabs to update Sync. What you cannot due with a 2020+ APIM is format it to update to the newer Maps. Basiclly the same as what Sandman said.

Okay, so let me see if I understand what you guys are saying. If I didn’t already have 3.4 then syn3updater would brick my APIM. but since I already have 3.4 then I can update it with syn3updater but I cannot update the maps?

Simply you cannot use reformat mode, regardless of what version you have.

For a 2020MY the last iteration of “free” maps from Ford is NA221.
I don’t believe you can get that from Ford any longer since NA222 is out.
You can buy a 5 year map subscription from Ford for $199 USD or a one time update for $109 USD.

So just to be clear, I have a 2020 ford edge. I know I can update sync 3.4 through Ford. Can I use cyanlabs at all with a 2020 ford to update sync and or to update nav to NA221? thanks for the help. It seems some of these instructions are as clear as mud, lol.

Long story short, you really can’t use the updater without quite a bit of work since the “Update just the maps” only offers NA219 & NA220, the only other thing the updater could possibly give you is access to “new” builds of 3.4.x before they become public (some of those never see the light of day).
IF you were to create an update USB by shutting off the MY2020 protection you would then have to edit the the autoinstall to only try to install the map, get rid of the reformat and go from there.
If you’re dead set on getting the NA222 maps, there’s a whole lot of info over on FMods about jail breaking the APIM to do this, just remember that doing that just like using the updater is use at your own risk.

Have you considered just using Google Maps or Waze via Android Auto\Car Play?

Not true. I have 5 years of free maps on my 2020 Fusion. States it right in the paperwork for 5 years also. Some only got 3 depending on the model year. I did receive maps late last year which is my 3rd year of them and I am at 2.22 for the version.

Our 2020 Escape Ti showed 3 years of maps on the sticker.
Ford considers whatever is loaded in the APIM from the factory as year 1 (NA2.19) we got NA2.21 for free and had to pay to get NA2.22.

It varies by model, the Fusion was one that got the 5yr deal since it was the last model year.

Yeah, the Ford site doesn’t offer anything for free so I guess my car is past free updates. I generally use Google maps. I like the Ford navigation but trying to put an address in can be very frustrating. If you don’t use the correct word it ignores you and often doesn’t understand what you said while Google works with ease. and typing it in can be hit and miss as well. But I like to be up to date with things but am not going to brick anything either. Thanks for the help.

Maps are a paid subscription for 5 years, still available from Ford on the navigation upgrade website.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.