Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

I would be very careful about firmware revisions on drivetrain related modules, especially the PCM and TCM as well as others. Although it may all work out fine, the risk may be bricking one of those and earning a tow to the dealer service department. Just my .02 cents…

That said, I have updated many of the modules on my 2015 F150 Platinum (Non-drivetrain or emissions related) without issues. I used the recommended updates from FORScan. I don’t know of any listing that would give information about the revisions of firmware, other than mentions on websites or Ford Oasis. If you know someone at a dealer service department that could help.

Only the one usb port on the APIM actually works. The rear usb is usually jumped from the usb hub in the console or it is only for charging. The rear usb’s in my truck only work for charging, and I think this is the case with yours also.

Thank you @F150Chief, great feedback.

I decided to update my FCIM and it looks like it didn’t want to take. After it erased the module, it loaded 1 and 2 but got stuck on 3 and then failed. I tried going to another version and it also failed on 3. With that said my radio controls and HVAC stopped working (steering wheel control works). I went to update this as I’ve had an error on my IPC which happens frequently where my Hill Descent, Service Advancetrak, Pre-collision Assist Not Available. Ford has updated the TCM and upgraded the harness on the steering sensor and it keeps coming up (I do not have a lift).

I removed the battery cable to try and reset it (as well as held the radio power/seek forward for 8 seconds) and it wouldn’t turn on.

any pointers?

I realize that you have an OBDLink MX+, Bluetooth Adapter. This is not recommended for FIRMWARE updates, as the bluetooth will time out. Make sure that you set all of your power saving settings on your computer to OFF, as this will help. Bluetooth will have issues with maintaining the connection and speed. If you can return it and get the EX version, this would work much better. (I did the same thing.)

This will help. I should have attached it to the last post…
APIM Firmware Flash Rescue Gen 2 (H-2017).txt (1.2 KB)

A good place to look for info on the other issue is here:
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

EDIT:
I replied to your post above with the thought that the APIM was the issue, not the FCIM. The FCIM should be recoverable thru FORScan using the original calibration files. Once you program those, you will need to load your entire asbuilt for the FCIM and reset the FCIM thru FORScan.

1 Like

Your quickest approach would be to ebay a replacement fcim in honesty. It is pretty essential for operation of your vehicle. This module is highly unlikely to cause the issues you mention.

It’s far more likely to be (in order of likelihood):

Low battery voltage/old battery. - replace it.
Loose connection to ipc
Loose connection to tcu
Wiring fault on loom
Other module fault

2 Likes

I replied to your post above with the thought that the APIM was the issue, not the FCIM. The FCIM should be recoverable thru FORScan using the original calibration files. Once you program those, you will need to load your entire asbuilt for the FCIM and reset the FCIM thru FORScan.

Hey all, I have a couple of things I need to ask.

First. I can’t seem to find the latest version of Forscan (2.4.3?) anywhere. Would anyone be able to tell me where I could find it?

Secondly, I’m having trouble opening Sunc3Updater. I’ve run as admin, I’ve turned off anti-virus. Everything. It pops up, says Checking for updates, then just closes.

I’m trying to update my maps and to the latest version of sync3. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You can request it from the Forscan admins. You will need a paid subscription to both request it and use it’s new functions.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I’m still trying to figure out how to request it from the admins lol.

You wouldn’t have any input on the sync updater issue would you?

[email protected]

I leave the input on the updater to the experts here.

1 Like

Does Anyone Have the lastest files they can send me to update? I currently Have hp5t-14g371-cca

What version of Sync are you running?
The unit has NAV?
What firmware files are installed now?

Running 3.4 w/nav. I have all factory firmware

Based on this you could run the files posted above…
Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files) - Ford / Sync 3 - CyanLabs Official Community

3.0 APIM Navigation Unit Firmware (Production Release 2017-2018)
(Originally Found On 2017/Some 2018 - Units That Ship with 2 USB Ports on Back)
GB5T-14G376-AA
HB5T-14G374-CA
HB5T-14G375-CA or HB5T-14G375-DA or HB5T-14G375-FA
GB5T-14G379-AA
HB5T-14G379-BA

Also see this post for the rescue file if you need it…
Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files) - Ford / Sync 3 - CyanLabs Official Community

Make sure you have the latest FORScan version and the paid license for firmware updates.

This Worked, But Before you sent this I was trying to do the 3.4 config but that Wasn’t working. Im trying to get the TCU module to reconize Hotspot. will this Firmware make this work? Im also getting Error 2100 in the apim now. I read that a rewrite of Asbuild will fix that but its still there. Thanks for your input! I’m Just trying to understand those packages to learn more.

How come in the most recent version of Forscan I can’t update firmware for the TCU?

FORScan 2.4.3 8/8/2021 is the latest with firmware update capability.

Do I have to choose the right file according to what I have in this list? The files to choose from are,
HB5T-14G375-CA or HB5T-14G375-DA or HB5T-14G375-FA

I have the HP5T-14G371-CAG USA, 3.4 build 21194, and I uploaded eu navi maps, everything works but I don’t have the fm station logo. can i use this method?

North America 3.4 with NAV use:

GB5T-14G376-AA
HB5T-14G374-CA
HB5T-14G375-DA
GB5T-14G379-AA
HB5T-14G379-BA