Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

I’m glad that worked for you on the older 2016 unit, a lot of folks have issues with this so I generally recommend against it. Thanks for the info on the auto lock function. It’s good to see positive results.

Enjoy and thanks for the update.

So after I tried to update the firmware, my APIM decided to act “weird”…

In FORScan, under the firmware update, it says that there is a new version (calibration level), but if I select any version from the list, other file names are exactly the same:

Does that mean that I’m already on the latest version?

I have tried force installing level …-FDG. Everything went ok and I got the success message:

But here comes the first “problem”. I have delete the profile in the FORScan, turned the car off for 10 sec and after that, when I read modules from scratch it says that calibration level is …-FDC (as it was before firmware update).

Then, I’ve checked 7D0-02-03 X6XXX value (I have DAB+ radio) and it was already set correctly:

Now to the “weird” part :slight_smile:

If I go to the settings of the Radio, I can se Radio Logo and when I turn it on, I’m getting logos for FM:

but there is no logos for DAB (this is the same station):

Inside Display Settings, initially, I had the Calm screen that worked. Once I turn off and back on the car, that option is missing again, while station logos are present:

So my question is what am I doing wrong? Is this normal that there is no DAB logo, while the FM logo is present (on the sync 3 installer, I have left everything enabled so logos should be installed)? How does it come that I’m missing calm screen after car on/off, while logos are still present? And, is this normal that FORScan is always showing that APIM has a new version, install goes ok, but whatever I do it always stays on original …-FDC calibration level?

Sry for the bunch of questions, bit I didn’t find anything regarding this issue…

Little Update.

So far the following functions are activated and tested on my Mustang 2016, with MY18.5 APIM firmware.

Conclusion: The update was worth it.

2 Likes

This is apparantly ‘normal’, as I have experienced this also more than once. Since there are no actual changes to the firmware, what would tell it to change…? I don’t know.

I’m not an expert on DAB, since we don’t have it here. Master Reset is where I would start, and reset the ACM maybe. (It’s in FORSCAN tools page.) @Louage might have some insight on this…

Again sounds like the unit needs a master reset…the coding above is correct.

I tried resetting APIM and ACM from the FORScan and APIM from the Sync Settings menu several times. But with no luck. Everything went missing after the reset.
I have changed the value 6 to 0 and then back to 6 and everything was present until the next time I have turned off/on the car… After that, the calm screen is missing, and under the stereo settings, some DAB+ options (e.g. slide show) went missing as well.

That is not a Master Reset, just a power reboot. But you did a reset from the Sync menu for the APIM…

Reflash back to -FDC and check “Force program…” silence the busses, and recovery mode at the bottom of the screen. I think you might have a firmware corruption.

Be sure to clear all DTC’s after that.

Still no luck. After installing in recovery mode, I have cleared all codes, re-write AsBuild, master reset twice…and nothing.
Initially I can see everything after AsBuild re-write, but after reset and/or re-run the car, all is gone :confused:

There is still an issue with the unit firmware, I believe. I’ve attached the previous versions. You can load these and see if the unit works, then upgrade back to the current versions. If there is a load corruption, this should clear that. You will need to set FORScan to 'Custom" and load only these 2 files. (Along with the SBL.)

You might also try loading newer files with a custom load. Look at ChrisDD’s post above.

After flashing firmware with those files (re-write AsBuild, clear errors), calm screen was not present at all. Then when I went to install new ones (downloaded via FORScan), initially I got warning “Unable to read current firmware… p/n: GB5T-14G379-BA” and list was empty:

I selected everything manually as it was before flashing with older files:

After that, I have re-writed APIM AsBuild (to get rid of the “not configured” error code, cleared codes) and calm screen was there. After performing master reset - calm screen was missing…

I have tried to install old and new files with selected and unselected “Recovery mode”. And I have tried skipping the master reset (once calm screen was visible) but after turning the car on/off, calm screen wasn’t there.

I’m not sure if there are never GB5T files for my unit. Or did you meant uploading these files:
1U5T-14G374-DA
1U5T-14G375-HA
JB5T-14G379-BA

If so, @ChrisDD could I ask you from where did you get those files?

Those files, there are not newer G files.

Ok thnx, I’ll try with them tomorrow. Just have to find them first…
@ChrisDD If you could share those files with me, I’ll be thankful!

Jaco, I sent you a message.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris.

You’re welcome.

@jaco2201

In addition. Make sure you have optimize your forscan performance:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1763

Also please check if your OBDLink has updated to the latest Firmware and all windows drivers working fine.

After an sync update (software for sure, but firmware maybe too) it can be helpful to disconnect the car batterie for atleast 30min, so the sync restart properly.

If you ask me, i would also downgrade Sync to 3.4.21020.

3.4.21098 is not the best version e.g. it has a known bug (Navigation/Live Traffic…and maybe more?).

1 Like

Short update from my side :slight_smile:

After flashing the ChrisDD’s files, everything now works as expected. All DTC codes are cleared, even when Master Reset is performed, calm screen and DAB+ features are present on the Sync. I didn’t play with 7D0-09… values, this will be a project for the next time, but for now, I’m happy that Sync 3.4, with all its features, works!

Thank you both for helping me out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s great news. Thank you Chris for helping out!

1 Like

So after two days of testing, unfortunately, I didn’t have luck with ChrisDD’s files. So here is my final state after few days of testing.

The problem occurred few hours after I’ve finished with the setup of Sync 3. Firstly I noticed that my saved home and work favorites were gone (while invoking the “Navigate home” command, I’ve got the response that the address is not set). Other than favorites, I’ve lost my emergency contacts and some other random settings through the system.
I performed the Master Reset, stored everything once again…and after ~1h later, everything was missing again.

My next step was returning the original files (forced FORScan to download them again) and the initial problem was present again (missing Calm Screen and DAB+ afer Master Reset or car on/off) so there must be something wrong with them as we have concluded already.

Fortunately, great support from the FORScan have sent me and advise me to try with other files, as they are for the hardware similar to mine:

HB5T-14G374-CA
HB5T-14G375-FA
GB5T-14G379-AA
HB5T-14G379-BA

After I did that (and performed Master Reset again), I have stored everything once again and now, after two days, everything is still saved, Calm Screen and DAB+ are still present and working.

So long story short, on my APIM those new files were not working as expected, while newer files for similar hardware are working great.

So did you change something from the last post, as you indicated everything worked. Confusing…A Master Reset clears all saved info in the Sync system, just so you know.

The FORScan folks are really good at this, and have seen a lot of issues. Glad they got it fixed for you.

Oh sry… I did. I have removed files that ChrisDD sent me and I replaced them with files sent by FORScan support (ones listed in my previous post).

Correct. I have mentioned that in the context that I have tried Master Reset several times, but data loss was always present after my car was off for about an hour.

In my initial post where I wrote that everything worked, well initially everything did work. But after about one hour after I have finished playing with the car, I went on the short trip and I noticed that my home address was missing even though I saved it.

Long story short, for my APIM, Chris files were not working at the end even I initially thought that everything works. After flashing the APIM with the files from the FORScan support, everything works as expected without any problems.

1 Like