Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

Yeah, I’ve read it’s not recommended but is there someone who sucesfully did this by using MX+ ? I guess cheap BT units may gave this problem but is there someone who really bricked the module by using this adapter? It’s most expensive device from their line.

No one has tried it as its a very bad idea to carry it out over Bluetooth.

2 Likes

Let me know when the Bluetooth adapter breaks your module , don’t even think its possible to do it with that adapter in ForScan.

kann mir jemand sagen wo man die Kalibrierungsdateien noch runterladen kann??

1 Like

Since UCDS has gone private i don’t know of anywhere,

Yep UCDS has now closed off access and I am not aware of any place else to get the files either. This must have just happened too.

Not that I don’t believe you but do you really know someone who bricked the module with some BT device? I don’t talk about those shitty Chinese craps for 10$. But OBDLink MX+ looks like serious device. Didn’t read something on their page to against flashing firmware. Hmm, also it’s pretty expensive so then better idea would be to buy just EX version. Also I don’t understand one thing. Ok, let’s say I’m flashing ECU and something happen and it fails, why I shouldn’t be able to flash it again ? I believe doings this stuff boot-loader is intact or ? Or if I flash APIMS or other module, can’t I flash it again if I have a backup ? Just curious… It could be similar to flashing mobiles, if something happen during firmware update you can simply do it again. But maybe I’m completely wrong.

I won’t even bother to answer that, cut corners and break your modules doesn’t matter to me. In theory yes they have a bootloader but ask people on forscan how they have got on with bricked models

1 Like

You’ve had the same resounding opinion of everyone on this forum, it’s matched by the entirety of the forscan forum too, ucds doesn’t provide a Bluetooth dongle for the same reason. So, as mentioned, rock on and run the risk if you wish

Don’t be so rude on me guys. I’m new here and just trying to search some rational answers, like real experiences with this device. If someone performed programming and how it worked. If I can’t do programming why I should keep this pile of s*** if I can buy same thing 7x cheaper ? Then I will send immediately back and buy EX. They sates EX is for enthusiast and MX+ for professionals so this sounds fishy to me. Can you point me to some discussion where I can’t read something about bricked modules ? Would like to read more but have problems to find anything. If I have to return it, what device would you recommend for FORD S-MAX ? Some ELS27 v3 ,Viaken STN1170 USB or OBDLink EX ? Wish there is a device with BT and USB connectivity in one device.

I’m not sure how many times it needs to be said… No one has tried the Bluetooth option as it is inherently dangerous so nobody has done it. The guide tells you what you’re asking - OBDLink ex.

We’re not being remotely rude, you are being obstinate to justify to yourself the purchase of the wrong adapter.

Further to Louage’s comments, Bluetooth is extremely slow compared to RAW USB.

1 Like

This… and that’s why I’m asking. No one tried it but it’s dangerous… Any evidence for this statement? Any evidence that someone bricked their module with MX+ ? Or no one tried it? I did find nothing. Hard to believe there is no adventurer in the world who would try this :slight_smile: No need for offence, just a discussion. I’m not justify anything, I will simply return it, that’s not a problem but on their site there is nothing about you can’t program with MX+. They says basically it’s the best adapter for professionals and support programming… The guide also recommend Viaken which is 2x cheaper so I wonder if EX is better.

@CyanLabs, this is an argument. If it’s much slower than it’s a reason to not buy it. The more time needed for flash the bigger change something screw up. Still I wonder where is the 150$ price tag for MX+ if you can’t do this.

1 Like

Read slowly: Nobody… Has… Tried… It… As… It… Is… Inherently… Dangerous.

Bluetooth is not designed to write large amounts of data reliably and quickly. USB interfaces are far more reliable. Interruption of this process will brick your unit. Even if it works fine, it won’t be recommended as this is just survivorship bias.

Full information is available here on the differences, as you’ll see the latency is 10x slower using the mx+, and max transfer rate isn’t even measured:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6142

We do not have the answers to these questions as it is pointless to risk the module, either trust the collective experience or stop posting. You won’t get a different response.

As a final note, I’ve just seen that Forscan specifically DOES NOT recommend using your adapter on that link for programming. The SX, EX, ELS27 and viaken adapters are the only ones recommended.

Guys, just to confirm (I tried to read all the posts above). Current status for the radio logos is:

• beta Forscan 2.4.1 no longer available even for testers
  • UCDS is no longer available - as a result no update of APIM through Forscan beta is possible…

Is there any workaround for it?

I guess there isn’t really… A new version of forscan with stable firmware updates has been promised for some time.

1 Like

Hallo
Hat schon jemand was gehört das es eine neue Test Version von Forscan gibt,
weil im Forum von Forscan schon anfragen sind.

The latest version is 2.3.34.
FORScan Downloads

If you are referring to a 2.4 version, there is no official release at this time that I am aware. I read that forum also and have not seen any news of the sort.

FYI - This was resolved.

1 Like