We Need Your Help To Solve Some Crashes In Syn3 Updater!

Just info…

When I use the app in Parallels, I have to insert the USB and map to the VM first before I launch Syn3 Updater. If the app is open before I insert the USB, Syn3 Updater will not see it even after refreshing the app. I have to quit the app and relaunch to see the usb connected to the VM. There are no error messgaes, it’s just like the app sees a snapshot of the disk structure when it starts and does not refresh that snapshot, or is not presented with updated info from Parallels/Windows.

I only see this behaviour in Parallels VM with Win 10 (latest version 21H1). There are no issues on my desktop Win 10 machine or Surface Pro 3.

Here are 2 threads that kind of talk about this, but for specific hardware not usb in general.

Mac OS Big Sur/parallels 16.1.1: don’t connect usb external devices | Parallels Forums
USB devices other than storage should be also mountable in paralles desktop | Parallels Forums

Already ahead of you :grinning: At least on the mapping part. The flash drive is only “seen” by Windows (the VM in this case), not on the macOS side at all. I want to say I put the flash drive in first, before launching Syn3, but I’ll try again.

Okay, just confirming, on a previous try when Parallels asked me what to do with this particular flash drive (it remembers it too), I told it connect it to Windows, not macOS, and I must have selected “remember” or “don’t ask again”. Under Devices, USB & Bluetooth, the flash drive I’m trying to use is checked for use.

Running Syn3 Updater, no change. Clicking the refresh button is what triggers the “Invalid class” button, by the way.

I just did an experiment with the Parallels. This is (in my case) a Parallels issue, without doubt. Parallels seems to be pretty flaky with USB assignments.

What I did:
Shut down Parallels completely.
Remove any USB devices from the computer.
Navigate to /Library/Preferences/Parallels/
Make a backup copy of dispatcher.desktop.xml
Delete this file from the /Library/Preferences/Parallels directory.
Start Parallels. You will not be able to see a VM. Don’t worry yet…
Quit Parallels completely.
You will notice the new dispatcher.desktop.xml is smaller and does not contain USB devices.
Start Parallels again, it will prompt you to install Windows. At the left bottom of the window is an “OPEN” button. Select and it should have the VM listed. Select and open.

This completely solved the issue I was having with selecting a USB device.

WARNING: This will erase all USB devices listed for the VM, so they will all be new connections.

This will also make a new alias for the VM. I deleted the old one just to clean up.

I played around with making one of my USB’s a permanent assignment to Parallels VM. This works with no issues. Syn3 Updater sees it instantly. Might be the way to go…

The link is always latest version, so as i don’t know when you ran it that doesn’t mean a whole lot to me…

Honestly if you are not using it on native windows then i am not interested in any crash logs or bug reports.

It’s unclear at this point if you are using bootcamp or using virtualization.

you also seem to be going out of your way to not tell me versions numbers. “Latest” doesn’t mean much when there was 5 alpha builds built yesterday

I have both. I’m back in Boot Camp now and happy to say it now works. Build in title bar says “2.9.7.11 (Alpha)”. I tried multiple times yesterday in the Alpha channel so I presume I could have been running any of yesterday’s (5) builds at different times…

3 Likes

Then the issue was to do with a drive either being encrypted or drive with no readable filesystem as that’s the only fix implemented.

Glad it’s working now :slight_smile:

1 Like

2.10.0 Released - please only report issues if you are on this version or newer!

1 Like

May be obvious, but change your branch to Stable if you had changed it in the past to Alpha or Beta