We Need Your Help To Solve Some Crashes In Syn3 Updater!

Hey all,

If you experience any crashes in Syn3 Updater please do your part and let us know details on what you were doing before it crashed.

Currently there are 2 main crashes which we can not replicate.

• System.InvalidOperationException “Only a single ContentDialog can be open at any time.”
  • System.InvalidOperationException “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

Please let us know below!

1 Like

System.InvalidOperationException “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

Getting this error when bitlocker drives are still locked. Syn3 Updater probably cannot read the drive status.

Unlocking all drives then restarting application/refresh drive list solves the issue.

Thanks, Please also provide a crash report URL or your computer name (so i can find the crash report)

I realize this post will be pretty worthless as you ask “what were doing before it crashed?” and in my case, nothing. Well, I open the app and I get the red error box with “Object reference not set to an instance of an object”. I’ve reinstalled (3) times including deleting the app data in \users\hall\etc…

I can then navigate around the app setting it up like normal with the first time but I can’t select my USB flash drive or really do anything (including download a new Sync version to the flash drive).

Was this happening with 2.9.6 ? We can’t stop the app from auto-updating, can we so I can run an older version ?

FWIW, clicking the “refresh” (for the flash drive location) triggers the same error message every time.

Clicking “Apply settings” triggers it too. Doesn’t matter if I make a change or do nothing on that screen.

According to other reports this caused by something locking your drives, usually bitlocker protection and specifically having a drive still locked while trying to scan devices.

I don’t use Windows that much so I thought Bitlocker was a 3rd-party option ! Anyway, nope, Bitlocker is not enabled on my machine at all, neither for fixed drives or removable ones. I don’t know what to look for as far as anything locking my flash drive either.

My machine is a Macbook Air with Windows 10 set up via Boot Camp. It’s running minimal software beyond what MS includes. It is up-to-date on the Windows side of things too… Syn3 Updater has worked perfectly fine before. I run FORScan on this too (I know there’s no relation in your program with FORScan).

I run Syn3 Updater on a Macbook Air with Parallels, no issues. I have noticed that permissions in Parallels need to allow for the Windows side to have access to the Mac side unrestricted for some apps, such as Syn3 Updater and a few others. This is not an issue, it is only the way Parallels installs with limited access between the OS’s.

I’ve been running Syn3 Updater just fine until these recent versions. In my case, I don’t have a “layer” of anything adding to the mix (i.e. Parallels). Just tried (5) different flash drives too in case it was something with my main “Sync” flash drive. :man_shrugging:

I’d be happy to run v2.9.X (it seems that this issue is with .6 maybe and for sure .7) but I don’t see a setting for “Do not auto-update”. I do understand why this type of option is beneficial to the developer though.

Because people aren’t updating, API changes are made on the back end and then they complain that it doesn’t work. forcing updates is more beneficial to me than allowing a few select people to go back to old versions.

Without a crash report there is nothing i can do about this issue…

Not at my home computer right now but will see how to generate a crash report.

I’m not having good luck either… Tried to install it on another PC and run it. Program launches, splash screen appears, it (Launcher.exe) briefly appears in Task Manager, then “poof”. Uninstalled it, removed any leftovers (including config data, probably from an older version), and it launches but with “Error: Invalid class”.

I’m able to configure it though but again, no flash drive appears in the drop-down list. Refreshing it causes “Error: Invalid class” again. Same behavior that I’m seeing on my home computer but different error message.

Please try the latest alpha, if the issue still persists then i will investigate further. https://cyanlabs.net/api/ci/Syn3updater/latest/download

Latest build behaves exactly the same. Oddly, it gives the same “Invalid class” message on the one computer (same as the stable build) and “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” on the other computer. It behaves differently on two different machines.

It doesn’t seem like many others are running into this though so I can understand if there’s little you can do, without knowing what to look for without crash reports. How do I get a crash report to send to help ? I can certainly try.

Saying “latest build” without saying what the version number is doesn’t help a whole lot, i also forgot to mention you need to change the branch in the settings to be “Alpha” instead of “Stable”

I have the logs of what just failed.
UNique ID 1ebe0c55-8d70-606e-9b55-0242ac120005

System.IO.IOException
Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.BeginReceive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

BeginReceive
System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
System.Net.Sockets.Socket
System.IAsyncResult BeginReceive(Byte[], Int32, Int32, System.Net.Sockets.SocketFlags, System.AsyncCallback, System.Object)
System

at System.Net.ConnectStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory1.FromAsyncTrimPromise1.Complete(TInstance thisRef, Func`3 endMethod, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.WebExceptionWrapperStream.d__4.MoveNext()
at Cyanlabs.Syn3Updater.Helper.FileHelper.d__8.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Scott\Documents\GitHub\Syn3Updater\Syn3Updater\Helper\FileHelper.cs:line 317
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Cyanlabs.Syn3Updater.Helper.FileHelper.d__6.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Scott\Documents\GitHub\Syn3Updater\Syn3Updater\Helper\FileHelper.cs:line 262
at Cyanlabs.Syn3Updater.UI.Tabs.DownloadViewModel.d__67.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Scott\Documents\GitHub\Syn3Updater\Syn3Updater\UI\Tabs\DownloadViewModel.cs:line 304
at Cyanlabs.Syn3Updater.UI.Tabs.DownloadViewModel.d__66.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Scott\Documents\GitHub\Syn3Updater\Syn3Updater\UI\Tabs\DownloadViewModel.cs:line 178

EndRead
System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
System.Net.ConnectStream
Int32 EndRead(System.IAsyncResult)
System

You gave me a link to your “latest build”.

I’ve since changed it to “Alpha”, it downloaded and updated files, then I deleted the configuration folder and restarted. On this machine, I continue to get the “Invalid class” error and no USB drives appear in the list.

My “Logs” folder is empty. More than happy to enable logging to help sort this but I don’t know how, sorry… There is an “applog.txt” file but it doesn’t look like it’s applicable for this issue.

When you are in Windows side of bootcamp, can you access or write to a USB? This was the same issue I had with Parallels permissions. It just happened one day, but was related to a Windows update that reset permissions. Just sharing.

I’m on the machine running Parallels at the moment. I can format the flash drive using File Explorer. I opened a PDF in Adobe Reader and saved it to the flash drive. I just exported data from UPS Worldship to the flash drive. Those two random programs are not built-in Windows programs that might be able to override some permissions.

I’m open to trying different things. Let me know !

1 Like