Last week I finished retrofitting Sync 3 into my 2014 Ford Edge Limited factory equipped with 8" Sync 2 MFT, but I’m running into a few issues:
- Master Reset option is greyed out no matter what I try. I have everything disconnected (not even a disconnected power cable in the USB ports) and no phone connected. I’ve tried with engine off and on but no matter what I do it’s greyed out.
- The on-screen climate controls aren’t working. The climate tab shows up, but none of the buttons on it are clickable. The fan speed adjuster highlights and unhighlights as I’d expect when I press the physical climate control buttons to get it in/out of Auto mode. Front and rear defrost both update correctly as well. Heated seats controls and indicators work perfectly on the home screen (including the 3 different levels displaying properly), however on the climate screen they only indicate whether they are on at all (seat icon turns red, 3 level indicators remain off regardless of level) or completely off and the buttons aren’t clickable.
- The APIM doesn’t turn on/off when the ignition is on/off, instead it turns on/off when you press the physical audio power button, so when you enter the car that needs to be pressed and again before you exit. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.
- Steering wheel Seek, Voice Control, and Phone rockers don’t work. Volume works fine though which is a bit odd to me.
- Having some intermittent nav problems and clock problems, however from reading around I’m pretty sure it’s because of my admittedly cheap antenna. Is there anywhere to buy an OEM one directly from Ford? The only reputable place I’ve found to order one from is NaviUpgrade’s site (I’m also not sure if that’s an OEM one and if it isn’t, if there’s even any practical difference between his and an OEM one).
- The Ambient Lighting button (and whatever the “Vehicle” button is) are both greyed out in Settings as well.
I don’t think they’ll be necessary but all the details about my SYNC 2 module are in the spoiler below:
Sync 2 Part Numbers/Software Versions
APIM Serial Number: XT202208
Assembly Part Number: DA5T-14D212-RB
H/W Part Number: BM5T-14F130-AB
CCPU S/W Part Number: EA5T-14D544-BA
VMCU S/W Part Number: DM5T-14D205-AG
SQLite Database: 3.6.21
MS Auto: 4.2 Zephyr
Adobe FlashLite: 3.1.7
DOV Software modem: SyncII V1 aqSDK V2.9.08
BT/WiFi firmware: Broadcom BCM4325
Navigation Application: 5.67.6
Voice Control App: 29125-001-553 12-03-2015
Gracenote Library: 126.96.36.199
Gracenote Database: 5059
And the details for the SYNC 3 APIM from FORScan as well as the Screen:
APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: KU5T-14G371-GJA
Calibration level: KU5T-14G371-GJC (latest known: NU5T-14G371-GAG)
Strategy : 1U5T-14G374-DA
It’s a MY19 64GB Nav APIM from a 2019 Fiesta MK8 ST from the UK (Note that I did convert this from EU to NA maps).
And the screen is a GA1T-18B955-SA (8" Recessed from a 2016 Lincoln MKX).
I have copies of the original SYNC 2 AsBuilt as well as the unmodified SYNC 3 AsBuilt as it arrived. I did my best to go through my SYNC 2 AsBuilt with the CyanLabs decoder on the database page and cross-reference that with the SYNC 3 AsBuilt database, updating the values to match. While I felt pretty comfortable making the changes, there’s definitely a possibility I messed up in a few spots since this is my first time touching FORScan/AsBuilt data.
I’m including the original SYNC 2 AsBuilt, the unmodified SYNC 3 AsBuilt, and my current SYNC 3 AsBuilt for reference. As well as an Interrogator Log below:
2FMDK4KC3EBA44022_APIM(SYNC2_ORIGINAL)_20230413_142727.abt (196 Bytes)
2FMDK4KC3EBA44022_APIM(SYNC3_UNMODIFIED)_20230421_194314.abt (495 Bytes)
2FMDK4KC3EBA44022_APIM(SYNC3_CURRENT)_20230422_232924.abt (495 Bytes)
Sync_NY9101C5_2FMDK4KC3EBA44022.xml (10.8 KB)
Hopefully this wasn’t too much information