2016 Explorer dynamic parking lines

What trim level is your Explorer? EDIT: Never mind, it’s an XLT…

I looked up a few 2017 thru 2019 Explorer XLT models and found consistent results with the APIM asbuilt, BCM, PAM, etc. The BCM, PAM, PSCM all look good from and OEM asbuilt perspective, except the setting above for the BCM, which you changed.

This is the new asbuilt for your vehicle. It is based on the 2017 Explorer XLT APIM Asbuilt. Load this completely at one time and perform a Master Reset. There are a few differences in this file, specifically that the 7D0-05-xx and 7D0-07-xx lines are wrong in your existing asbuilt. This is the vehicle specific data used for navigation and other vehicle functions.

1FM5K8D88GGB74829_APIM_04112020.abt (401 Bytes)

This is the 2017 Explorer asbuilt…
1FM5K8D87HGB14462 APIM Asbuilt.txt (391 Bytes)

I don’t know what it could be either if you say it had it before upgrading. Unless it’s something really simple like in the menu turning the lines on.

Judging by the FCIM-B in the previous pic it looks like it’s one of the lower trims?

In F-150’s, the XLT model has the dynamic lines feature. I thought the dynamic lines were on all Sync 3 vehicles with PDC rear cameras. (?)

It is an XLT…with the dynamic lines and vehicle outline with sensor warnings before the Sync 3 upgrade…

1 Like

I’ll give that a try this afternoon…

1 Like

Like this…
Question, does you black dotted line turn as it is now?

Should be two outside lines turning with the black dotted line in the middle I thought.

Jimlat, does this have the tow package?

@F150Chief No the black line is fixed in position centered
@bill32399 yes I think it does…wiring harness looks factory in the rear…and yes, that is what my son’s F150 and my other son’s Escape does, and as I recall what mine used to do…and there is no overhead vehicle outline or safety check written warning

There is a definite issue with the APIM here. Any time you go into reverse, regardless of the trim level, with an 8" screen you get the text warning. Go ahead and load the asbuilt I gave you. If it does not solve the problem then there is an issue with the APIM like configuration corruption or firmware corruption.

Do you have a licensed copy of FORScan that you paid for?

It’s the 2 month trial…no paid right now due to combat conditions there…

I understand…

There is still an option if you are up to it. Reformat the APIM and reload all software and Maps. If there is corruption in the system it will probably clear with this.

Partial success! I now have the warning, the zoom button and the outline…still no dynamic lines, but I’ll check some of those previous changes to make sure they are still there…this was by installing the APIM asbuilt you sent from the 2017…

Thanks you so much! I’ll keep you posted…

OK good news. The APIM is ok and it’s just the settings might have been corrupted or something. You can change the splash screen and theme to whatever you would like now. Let me know if you see something not right with the settings.

Does the black line move with the steering?

No it doesn’t…will check the other settings later today…

@F150Chief checked all modules and mods we did earlier…all good…made my couple of APIM adjustments (calm screen, boot theme, etc)…made sure I saved the initial configuration as the fixed setup…

I now do have the zoom plus button, overhead outline with proper sensor notifications and the caution written warning…definite improvement…dynamic white lines still missing and dotted black does not move with wheel position…

OK, good progress but not quite there yet. I’ll need a little time to research this further. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: I found conflicting information on the 726-39-02 data in the BCM for the Slave Exists RVC setting. Go back to that value and set it back to ‘1’. In FORScan, re-run LIN New Module Calibration.

2016 Explorer dynamic parking lines - Ford / AsBuilt Configuration - CyanLabs Official Community

Got it…I basically reversed the procedure from 6 days ago to put it back to it’s original values…
Didn’t break anything, but didn’t fix it immediately either…as you said in that post, I’ll drive it today to see if that changes anything…
As always, I’ll keep you posted…

1 Like

Thats awesome! I will have to reread all this and see if any of it will apply to add it to mine.

@bill32399 after reversing the BCM setting and driving there is still no dynamic lines…but at least the sensor outline and notifications are back…as @F150Chief said, it’s progress…

1 Like

The display shown in the camera view on the screen is actually two different by related functions: Parking Distance Control (PDC) and Active Park Assist (APA).
Ford refers to the standard lines (red, yellow, green) as “Fixed Guidelines”. These are part of the Parking Distance Control (PDC).
Ford refers to the white lines as “Active Guidelines”. These are part of the Active Park Assist (APA).

This is what I have found on some forums from Ford representatives:

1. The active guidelines are only available with the Active Park Assist (APA). This is partly because with the extra sensors installed (needed for park assist) it also detects to the side and can verify the area is clear of obstructions in the intended path of travel.
  2. The steering angle sensor is used with the stability control also, which means it’s in every Explorer we make. So, it’s not the restriction. It’s the sensors that detect objects to the side of the vehicle that are missing.
  3. My understanding is that the active guidelines are only on the Limited’s with the Active Park Assist feature. The explanation I heard was that the active park assist includes a steering sensor that is used by the backup camera, so it knows your steering angle to create the curved lines.

That said, you stated that the lines worked under Sync 2 (MFT).

I tried an experiment on my truck, 2015 F-150 Platinum, that was equipped with Sync 2 and retrofitted to Sync 3. The truck has what is called APA Lite, which is the Parallel Park Self-Parking feature. It works well. This is defined in the APIM asbuilt at 7D0-04-02 xx** xx. I have a value of ‘08’ which is APA Lite Semi-Auto Parallel Park Assist (SAPP). When I changed the value to ‘01’ or ‘02’ the Active Guidelines did NOT work.

Your Explorer is an XLT model, supposedly does not have APA and the Active Guidelines. This is supported by the PAM asbuilt which I just decoded today.

We can test this…in the APIM asbuilt at 7D0-04-02 xx** xx, change the setting to ‘08’. If the vehicle is not equipped with the feature, there should be no change in behavior, the lines will not work. You will probably get some DTC’s.

So, my thought is that an Explorer XLT (any year) does not support APA and the Active Guidelines.

But the other functions are fixed, so although not what you exactly wanted, but a win there.

1 Like