2017 MKZ hybrid 4g TCU upgrade

Uploading: ed457921-9c76-4e87-af1e-aeaa2815a7e5.jpg…

You closed the edit window before the file above was uploaded…

Your profile is not complete…are you in North America? Or?
FordPass and Lincoln Way are the same app, just branded differently.

You should really be using the HJ5T TCU, not the J or K series TCU for your 2015 MKZ. I remember a thread here that the user did the same as you and never got the J/K unit to authorize properly, or something of that nature. The HJ5T should go in and be up with no issues.

That’s not going to work. Did you set the modem to factory and delete the vehicle from Lincoln Way, then add it back and then authorize the vehicle? I you tried to authorize the vehicle multiple times you will get this message.

@chadmees
Let me know if you need more assistance…

Yes, I reset to factory settings, and then corrected the configuration again, but this did not bring results.

are you in North America? Or?

I am in Ukraine and I use the E2 modem, and it works fine for Ford

On the pic of the Lincoln Way app you posted above, the service is looking for the “Embedded Modem”, which is the HJ5T modem. You need the E2 version. I do not think the J/K TCU will work, but maybe someone who has done this in EU can contribute.

Got it, I’ll look for a solution

Will do! Waiting for the new modem to arrive Friday. I think I have everything I need unless something comes up that was unexpected. Thank you for the instructions on the asbuilt. I plan to make a video of the process so hopefully it will make this easier for others too!

FYI
Quoted from F150Forum:
I thought that it was possible to check if the modem and vin were registered on the authorization server

Since your 2015 MKZ never had a modem, it will not be in the Ford database for authorization. The Ford database is just the OEM asbuilt data, which would indicate your vehicle was not equipped. This does not mean it will not activate and be able to function.

Also, don’t use a 3rd party app or your Lincoln Way account will be locked, and you will need to call Ford/Lincoln to fix it. They are disabling the unauthorized 3rd party apps on their systems, as they should. This includes the Connected Car app and others but does not include the Alexa or Google apps.

But how does the application on the phone communicate with the modem (connection type)? Maybe the problem is that the application cannot send a command for authorization?

The Lincoln Way (FordPass) app talks wifi/cellular internet to the Ford servers, which communicate to the modem via cellular. The APIM and TCU talk via HS3-CAN (canbus). The phone app is communicating properly with the Ford servers, since you got error message back. The problem is the modem authorizing against the Ford servers.

@F150Chief So I got the modem in and updated. Everything seems to have gone the way it’s supposed to. I was able to get it activated and recognized in the Lincoln app. The issue is that I have no location, odometer, and unable to lock unlock or start. I’m not sure what I missed. Any ideas would be great!

I wanted to add more info here. I tried changing the original AB for 754-01-01 to B132 40 but it acts the same as the default AB of B142 50. It also looks like maybe my cell signal is low compared to what is in some other screenshots I have seen. I do have a DTC for the GSM antenna having an open circuit. I am using the Bingfu antenna linked above.

That cell signal is fine. Mine sits around the 30-40 mark with no issues. Also the DTC as far as I’m aware shouldn’t affect connectivity/functionality.

Try B362 instead. 3 is designated for full hybrid vehicles like yours. 1 is for gas only. 62 will put you on CGEA 1.3 which should apply to your MKZ.

Mine is actually not a hybrid like the OP. Mine is the 3.0t. Also I looked at the database for the as built changes and wouldn’t B1 be for Sync3?

The unit is authorized, there is nothing wrong with what you are seeing there. I’ll take a look at the asbuilt.

1 Like