2017 MKZ hybrid 4g TCU upgrade

Well I have extra OEM TCU cables sitting around but none of the OEM Antennas right now. The OEM ones look like this and are really easy to install. When you mount it that will ground it out and you will lose the DTC.

1 Like

This is my first Ford product - What is the best way to search for part numbers online? In the BMW world there is RealOEM its diagram based, I find it much easier to quickly locate what I am looking for and cross reference parts. Does anything like this exist with Ford for regular people non employees?

The PIFA is interesting, I don’t think I could use that because of its size. I would have to put it in the trunk somewhere and I doubt it would work very well. This is the one I was trying to find the PN for

1 Like

That antenna will work but will cause the same code as the Bingfu and others like it because it is an “open receiver” antenna, or Non-Terminated. The PIFA is referred to as a “closed-receiver” or Terminated antenna. They will both work, but the TCU is looking for the proper termination to determine if there is an antenna connected.

Tasca
There are a few others like it…

I got the correct TCU today HJ5T14G087UF. I installed it and followed these steps its working !!!

1. Remove the vehicle from any FordPass/MyFord Mobile Apps.
  2. Set TCU to Factory Mode in the As-Built
  3. Perform a SYNC Master Reset
  4. Add the vehicle to the FordPass app, but do not send an activation signal.
  5. Exit Factory Mode on the TCU and Restart the Module.
  6. Wait 5-10 minutes, then activate the vehicle in the app.

I really appreciate everyone’s help thank you!

Good work! Glad to help.

2 Likes

Hoping to get some assistance with this upgrade since Lincoln isn’t doing this anymore. I have a 2017 MKZ with the G series TCU currently. I know it was recently done by another user with some help from the knowledge in this community. I have read through the following forum:

I am having trouble understanding the process. I originally purchased a very cheap L series TCU which of course will not work. I have found an H series identical to the one in the forum above that is available.

If I am understanding correctly the H series would need to be upgraded to the JXXX firmware. Is the process for the upgrade outlined somewhere? Also is there any way to know what files I need? I am hoping to document this process and share with other MKZ owners once I understand the process.

1 Like

Hey @chadmees thanks for posting a new thread.

I’ve merged it and I’ve re-opened this thread since from what I’ve seen you have the same model, so this is the most suitable place for farther discussion.

Thank you! The only difference that I’m aware of between mine and the OP is that he has a hybrid and mine is the 3.0T.

Once I get some time from work I’ll review this…busy day.

An H series like in the other thread is best. HJ5T-14G087-UF or greater, like HJ5T-14G087-UM. This thread is a recommended read… TCU HJ5T Asbuilt Discussion - Ford / AsBuilt Configuration - CyanLabs Official Community

The firmware will need to be programmed to the -UM level. This can be done with FORScan (free) and a quality USB ODB adapter (about $55.00). Look in the Information section of the forum for articles and guides on FORScan.

The firmware programming is quite simple but takes time. My advice is to read the threads and become familiar and somewhat comfortable with the procedures and installation.

If you need help, ask questions. We are here to help.

1 Like

I have some experience updating the firmware with the beta FORScan and my Obdlink ex. I have done this on my fusion to use the MKZ cluster in it with a custom full screen theme. My concern comes from how to determine what files to flash and where to get them. I can order a -UF exactly like the one the OP got! I already have a new antenna that was delivered today

TCU - Telematic Control Unit Module
Part number: HJ5T-14G087-U*
Calibration level: HJ5T-14G087-UM (latest known: HJ5T-14G087-UN)
Strategy : HJ5T-14G139-UM

1 Like

So I guess my question is if I have the modem installed and it is recognized can I just use FORScan to pull the highest available files automatically? When I did my cluster I had to download each file separately then navigate to it through the custom option on this screen. I know this data is wrong since it is based on the L series modem but I have never used the automatic downloading procedure.

1 Like

If FORScan populates the files, then yes. Sometimes they are not available, so you will need to connect to the vehicle once you have the unit installed to find out.

Remember to make a new profile to see the new modem. Once you do that, you don’t need to sit in the vehicle to download the files, just have the adapter connected to the pc.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what as-built changes to put the TCU into factory mode and then to remove it? Sorry if this is answered somewhere already.

See your messages…

Hi all. Since lincoln mkz is mentioned, I am writing here. There is a 2015 lincoln mkz hybrid, it did not have a modem from the factory. I installed a K series TCU, downgrading its firmware to J. I reset it to factory settings, corrected the configuration, but the modem stuck in the “Waiting for authorization” position. And he doesn’t want to pretend. Letters come that the car has been added, but there is no result. Is there any way to check if the car is added to the server?

Did you change the asbuilt for the APIM? And get the authorization message on the Sync screen?

Sometimes it takes a few days for the vehicle to be added. Does it say the vehicle is authorized in the FordPass app? Are you using another app, 3rd party? (Don’t, by the way…)

I changed the configuration of both APIM and TCU. I use the lincoln way

1 Like