Blank screen after update

After attempting to update a sync 3 system from a 2017 f150 the screen went blank and has not come back. I was using a third party update I found online since the official Ford update would fail I’m guessing because the sync 3 is installed in a 2015 f150. It showed version 2.2 before I started and I was trying to go to 3.4 I restarted the truck after it completed and now the screen is blank. I can see that the back light is on in the screen but their is no response from the screen. Is it possible to reset the APIM using forscan back to the previous version or reload the firmware to get it working again? I wish I would have found this site first so I wouldn’t be in this situation.

Thank you,

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Old SYNC Version: 2.2.000

New SYNC Version: 3.0.000

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

Syn3 Updater Version:

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read:

Syn3 Updater Log File

Is the unit operative?, does it work in any way?.
Has the unit been serviced in the past?.
Have you changed themes via forscan in the past?.

I’ve noticed you claim to have performed a Ford update from 2.0 to 3.0, so I removed the “no way to go back” section of my original post.

It is not operational and has not been serviced to my knowledge or had the themes changed.

Mmm … This is strange.

Are you the first owner of the car?

Can you please post a screenshot of the USB’s contents ? Specially:

• the files on the root
  • the contents of the .lst files
  • the contents of the SyncMyRide folder

I’m not the first owner. Also I updated my original post to better reflect the situation.
After attempting to update a sync 3 system from a 2017 f150 the screen went blank and has not come back. I was using a third party update I found online since the official Ford update would fail I’m guessing because the sync 3 is installed in a 2015 f150. It showed version 2.2 before I started and I was trying to go to 3.4 I restarted the truck after it completed and now the screen is blank. I can see that the back light is on in the screen but their is no response from the screen. Is it possible to reset the APIM using forscan back to the previous version or reload the firmware to get it working again? I wish I would have found this site first so I wouldn’t be in this situation.

Thank you,

I saw your posting on F150Forum. Do you have FORScan and an OBD adapter?
Do you know the part number of the Sync APIM you put in the truck?

There is no Ford update to bring a Sync 2.2 unit to Sync 3.2+. It is not supported by Ford.

Yes I have FORScan and an ODB adapter. The part number is HL3T-14G370-GCE

2017 Production 32GB NAV.

If you can, please post you APIM asbuilt.
Check this…

1. Connect to the APIM with FORScan.
  2. Go to the tools menu (wrench) and perform an APIM Module reset. This is NOT the same as a Master Reset.
  3. Once the unit resets, does the screen now work? If not…
  4. Go to the APIM Module Asbuilt Configuration:
    Look at 7D0-02-01 xxxx-**xx-xxxx. The value should be ‘01’.
    Look at 7D0-03-01 xxxx-**xx-xxxx. The value should be ‘00’.
    If these are different, then set them and write the changes. You will get a message about Checksum values, just say Yes or Continue.
    The APIM should reboot, and the screen should come up if this was the issue.
  5. SAVE the configuration.

I would need to see the asbuilt to go further.

I preformed the steps you listed and still have a blank screen. Here is the current asbuilt.

I don’t see anything in the asbuilt that would cause this issue.

When you updated the APIM, did you see the screens with the Mustang and Horse, and finally the GREEN screen that tells you to remove the USB drive and reboot the system?

I don’t recall seeing a mustang or horse screen. It did tell me to remove the USB drive and restart that is when the screen went blank.

OK, so I suspect you have an incomplete reformat. Follow the instructions in this document and see if it recovers the system…you can just use the reformat.lst file attached rather than making one.

Reformat Boot Screen Recovery.pdf (113.9 KB)
reformat.lst (44 Bytes)

4U5T-14G381-AN - SYNC 3 APIM Software (IVSU) Database - CyanLabs

I will give this a try. How will I know when it is done since the screen is blank? Also should the truck be running or is accessory mode?
Thank you,

1 Like

Once you insert the USB it will take maybe 12 or 15 minutes, if that, and then the APIM will reboot and the screen will work…or not.

Just ignition on as long as you have a good battery. Probably best to have it running if you can.

As indicated in the doc, if this works, you will have Sync 3.3 but with NO voice, maps, etc. You will have to install those using the Syn3 Updater. Let me know if you need help with the setup…

1 Like

The format did not help. I inserted the USB with it running and left it for 30 minutes and the screen is still blank. Any other suggestions or should I start shopping for a new APIM?

Thank you all you assistance.

What update did you find online that you used that caused the blank screen? Being that the APIM asbuilt configuration and the reformat did not work to recover the screen, I think the APIM might be defective, or maybe just the screen. Obviously something out of the ordinary happened with that update.

Do you know if the APIM has ever been replaced in the vehicle? Is there a way you can take a picture of the unit label?

I was fallowing the instructions from here https://www.f150forum.com/f118/upgrade-sync-3-v3-0-v3-4-instructions-458828/?ispreloading=1And was completing the step (Run the install contents of .Rar Folder 2A) the screen said it was complete and to remove the USB drive and restart the vehicle. After I restarted the vehicle the screen was blank. I then attempted to move on to the next step but the screen stayed blank. That is when I reached out for help.

The APIM was from a 2017 F150 I found at the local salvage yard I do not have the history of the APIM beside it came out of a totaled truck. Here is a picture of it.

The APIM was working before I started the update. Also I did reconnect the original SYNC 2 unit after the screen went blank just to make sure it wasn’t something else and it came on like normal.
If I can convince my wife to let me take the screen out of her 2019 edge and swap it with the F150 screen I would be able to determine if the problem is with the screen or the APIM.

Thanks

That would at least tell you if the screen is bad or not.

If you swap the screens, try this:

1. Change the screen, force reset the APIM with FORScan and power cycle the APIM. See if the screen comes up.
  2. Fix the install and update as usual, then…
  3. Optionally, change back to the original screen and force reset the APIM with FORScan and power cycle again to make it work.

Force Reset is located in FORScan, tools menu, APIM Reset.

If the screen comes up, note what version Sync is installed. Reload the entire asbuilt at one time and reboot the APIM. This should clear any corruption issues.

Something you could try in the interim, is to downgrade to Sync 3.3.19052, if the APIM will respond.
Use file 4U5T-14G381-AN - SYNC 3 APIM Software (IVSU) Database - CyanLabs .
This is the autoinstall.lst file:
autoinstall.lst (228 Bytes)
The Sync app file goes into the SyncMyRide folder on the usb, the autoinstall.lst file in the root of the usb. Place in vehicle and see if it does something, it will take about 10 minutes, maybe 15 minutes. The APIM should reboot by itself.

Do you have access to the screen’s label?