Correct process to downgrade 2020 Ford F-250 to 19101?

I have a Ford F-250 model year 2020, and have the problem with Apple Car Play where the microphone volume is really low. Most folks recommend downgrading to 3.4, build 19101. However when I tried to use Sync3 Updater, there was a big warning message about it causing black screens on 2020 model cars. The folks in the Ranger forum said to use the older Ford Sync Downloader tool, but it’s not clear how to use that correctly to downgrade it?

When I selected the ‘any version > 19136’ (not sure of the exact version) it told me it had to run in downgrade mode, but when I clicked OK and went to burn the USB, it complained that I needed to select what version to install. But the big red ‘downgrade’ message overlays the section to pick the version you want, so I can’t proceed.

Instead I picked ‘Any other sync version’ and chose 19101 and 1.19 maps (I have 1.18 maps), and am burning a USB, but I am not sure if that is actually going to work?

So what is the correct process to downgrade my truck so I can try to get my microphone working properly with car play?

Warning: DO NOT run the reformatter tool on your vehicle. It doesn’t matter where it is obtained from, or what version of app, don’t do it.

You can update to 3.4.20196 or downgrade to 3.4.19101 manually.

The microphone problem is not related to the version of Sync you are running. This is a Carplay/AA issue with settings or phone pairing. If you play audio from your phone, is that all ok?

Have you performed a Master Reset, repaired the phone?

Please, do not take this the wrong way, but honest question: do you think it’s smart to use an older non-currently supported tool just to bypass a warning about bricking your MY20 unit that the current CyanLab version show???

Why do you think there’s a warning ???

1 Like

Please, do not take this the wrong way, but why do you think I am posting here BEFORE I actually updated anything in my truck!?

And FWIW, I tried using the Sync3 Updater to create a downgrade USB, and it told me that it was going to brick my truck. So that’s why I was looking at the older tool (which BTW was the current tool just a few weeks ago), since that’s the tool the other folks in the Range5G forums said they had used successfully.

That’s smart, for sure.
But since you actually tried the older tool, I had to ask.

As said before, you can update to the newer build WHITOUT maps, hence bypassing the reformat phase which is the issue with MY20 units. New tool will show which method it will use, it must not be reformat.

What build are you currently on?

Ford Sync Downloader is no longer supported, you are on your own if you want to use this!

Surprisingly the other forums don’t understand the programs as much as me (the creator)

FWIW you are massively overcomplicating this, use Syn3 Updater, select keep maps and simply select your destination sync version.

I am on build 20136. Doing an auto update in my truck does not attempt to update to 20196, but I would be willing to try that to see if it fixes the silly microphone bug.

I haven’t run anything at this time. Trying to work out what tool to use and I do not need to update my
maps at all. But even when I tried to use that to build a USB key to change back to 19101, I get the message saying that the downgrade tool will brick 2020 trucks.

There is a free map upgrade available to you directly from Ford. And I would not be surprised that the 20196 version is available also.

BTW, how do I change the configuration directory if I have deleted the original files. I put it into my Download folder root directory and didn’t realize it would not create a folder for it’s files, so I nuked them to start over and when I tell it to use a new folder, it tries to copy the ‘old’ files that no longer exist and crashes.

BTW2, is source code for this tool available? More than happy to help fix stuff like this if is is on Git.

I would have thought 20196 would be available also, but I have my truck connected to my house wifi but it does not show any updates available. Is there another ‘official’ way to update it using a tool from Ford other than on the Sync3 settings screen?

Do you have your truck set up in FordPass?

Or registered on the Ford Owner site:
https://owner.ford.com/?ef_id=VhFTsgAABT6Xlw6v%3A20151004171425%3As&searchid=160581195|13270894275|321045406

When you bought your truck, the dealer should have done this with you…

Yes, I have Ford Pass all set up. I don’t see anything in there to update Sync 3?

No idea what you are referring to here, it uses standard .NET settings implemententation for it’s configuration so that means it’s at %localappdata%\cyanlabs

Application is closed source for obvious reasons unlike every other one of CyanLabs’ applications

FordPass won’y have the Sync info, more the truck info, however, the Ford Owner website will have any updates available to you. Once logged in, you can check for updates:
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Use the USB method, not wifi.

Here are the map updates:

Thanks! I put my VIN in there and it is providing me with an update. I will give that a go with the USB and see if it fixes the microphone issue.

After you get the update performed, remove all phones from the vehicle and do a Master Rest. While that is going on, remove your bluetooth connection for your vehicle from the phone, and reboot the phone. Once the Master Reset is done and the phone has rebooted, re-pair the phone to the vehicle. Make sure that all the contact downloads are finished and such, then connect the phone via USB for Carplay and make sure all that works. Test your phone calls for proper audio. Adjust the audio for desired level while you are active in the call.

Also, see this:

Thanks I will give that a try. I am on the latest iOS 13.x release, but have not tried 14.0.1 yet. I will give that a try as well to see if it rectifies the issue. As others have reported, this problem only happens with CarPlay as the volume is just fine with normal bluetooth audio.

Also as others have reported this is not really an issue with the iPhone, because older versions of Sync 3 work just fine (3.3 or 3.4 build 19101). Works fine with Android Auto and normal bluetooth.

I also have an F-150 2019 which has Sync 3.3 installed on it. I am selling it at the moment (paperwork will be done tomorrow) but it worked perfectly with the exact same phone so I am 99% sure this is not an issue in the phone itself, hence the reason I am trying to downgrade to 19101 if I can’t get it to work with the latest updates.

Grrr. Ford does not show 20196 as an update. I just did the upgrade and did not notice until now that it says:

“Your SYNC system will be updated to SYNC3 v3.4.20136

Doh. So I did the update, back to the same version.

Guess I will try updating it again using Sync3 Updater.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: Could not complete operation since target directory is under source directory.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.FileSystem.CopyOrMoveDirectory(CopyOrMove operation, String sourceDirectoryName, String destinationDirectoryName, Boolean overwrite, UIOptionInternal showUI, UICancelOption onUserCancel)
   at Syn3Updater.Forms.FrmSetup.btnChangeDownloadDirectory_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4220.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Syn3Updater
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1.1
    Win32 Version: 1.0.1.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/CyanLabs/Syn3Updater/Syn3Updater.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4200.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4200.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4220.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Syn3Updater.resources
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1.1
    Win32 Version: 1.0.1.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/CyanLabs/Syn3Updater/en/Syn3Updater.resources.DLL
AutoUpdater.NET
    Assembly Version: 1.6.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.6.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/CyanLabs/Syn3Updater/AutoUpdater.NET.DLL
System.Net.Http
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Net.Http/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Net.Http.dll
System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.