Getting Flank Guard and the little car on the right while backing up to display on a sync 3 retrofit

Yeah, the documentation about what Flank Guard is and does is severely lacking. I don’t even think Ford has any fancy demonstration videos for it like they do other vehicle features. Best I can tell it doesn’t care what level of park assist system you have as long as you have a PAM and parking sensors. My C-Max for example just has front/rears (and corners technically to enable parallel park assist) but no sides and the FG function works (barring the dumb issue with my old PAM causing the FG screen to be up full time at slow speeds. What I -HAVE- been able to figure from what little info is out there that it should only pop up at slow speeds if a sensor is actually triggered).

Regarding the comment about the PAM change and driving around, honestly can’t comment on that for obvious reasons (no PAM AsBuilt on mine and I’ve given up on finding an AsBuilt related solution to fix FG on my C-Max) but given some notes such as those on the 2GFusions thread about the Sync 3 retrofit/PAM update about needing to drive around a bit and wait, it may not be a bad call.

That is what I understand and exactly the behavior I have seen on various vehicles, not just Ford. It is quite difficult to find any good info on FG, but I did find some mentions of the feature:
Ford Explorer - Description and Operation - Parking Aid - Overview - Parking Aid (foexplorer.com)

My sincere apologies. Yes it was BLIS I was thinking of. Not whatever nonsense I called it. Thank you for the explanation, F150Chief as informative as ever. What I didn’t understand and may have missed it in your reply. Does BLIS have the capability to display on sync at the same time the yellow lights appear in the wind mirror?

There is some descriptions in the asbuilt settings for BLIS and CTA to display, but I have never seen these display on the Sync screen.
BLIS (Side Detect)
7D0-09-01: xxxx-xxxx-xXxx
CTA
7D0-02-02: xxxx-xxxx-xXxx

Interesting. So according to that at least, it’s associated with having the side sensors. Maybe that’s how Ford wants it officially deployed but unofficially it will function with a lesser amount of sensors?

It seems it needs to have one of the newer BLIS radars to work. Prob 18+ on a CGEA 1.3 for sure. There are no additional sensors on my 2 of 3 cars that have it.

Flank Guard is designed for 12 sensors (4 rear, 4 front, 2 each side) for systems with 360 cameras, at least that is what the info states that I could ever find. The side sensing system (flank guard) is a feature, or sub-feature, of the Park Aid system. It uses the ultrasonic sensors installed on the vehicle sides. It seems it requires the 360 camera system, not sure if that is an absolute. It is not part of BLIS or CTA nor does it rely on the BLIS radar systems. FG has been available since before 2016, on Lincoln MKX and others.

Have you read this part of the thread at 2GFusions about the flank guard or park assist icon display below 20 mph? Looks like a hybrid issue?

Adding / Modifying Active Park Assist w/ PAM (Parking Aid Module) Firmware Upgrade (2gfusions.net)

I would like to emphasize that while things did not quite work out in the end, it does not diminish Dan’s or Jesse’s efforts. It seems like only hybrids have a real issue with active park assist at the moment (the 20 mph bug), and if you don’t have that option you have nothing to worry about. Most non-base Fusions I see (i.e. those with 8" screens) don’t have that option - the most common tech combo I see on the roads is nav + camera + rear sensors.

Perhaps in the future if someone does figure out how to eliminate the bug then I’ll buy the unit again assuming I don’t have a new car by then. It’s really strange - the actual performance (distance calculation, wheel turning, etc) of the park assist is perfectly intact. Jesse speculates that my car being a hybrid is the main cause of the 20 mph bug. I wonder if it’s some sort of conflict with my regen braking modules.

Regarding the bug I had that caused me to return Sync3 (flank guard popping up when slowing down below 20 mph), these posts suggest that the flank guard wasn’t enabled and some other setting was causing it to happen. See http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?..5#pid98985

My value for 7D0-01-01 (object detection for rear view cam) was 2A2A. Tried unsuccessfully to change it to 222A (to this day, no idea if it was the APIM or my OBD or my laptop at fault).
My value for 7D0-01-02 was 2289.
My value for 7D0-02-02 was 0240.

At the time disabling the APA outright (by setting 7D0-04-02 to 0001) was the only way to get rid of the bug. Decided I didn’t want to lose the feature. I was really hoping to have Sync3 with APA partially working (no visual alert but a chime when detecting a spot, and the actual maneuver being fine).

So maybe things are different for 2013s and/or hybrids.

Not BLIS.

No Sir

I’ve been reading thru the articles DanMc85 wrote about all this with the PAM conversions and found there is a difference with hybrids vs not hybrids, but nobody seems to know what it is.

I thought it was interesting how on the above mentioned info that the PAM was seperate on vehicles with Active Park Assist. Wonder why that is.

I will take a look at the fusion stuff in a bit and see if I can find any differences.

Only for Expedition/Navigator 2018 to 2022.
JU5Z-15K866-A

Interesting.

Any specific years on the Fusion PAM’s?

I don’t know if the FG ‘constantly showing’ is a hybrid related issue. Just the one person who’s mentioned it over there happens to own one. I have seen it mentioned on either a Focus or Escape board for those that have done the Sync 3 retrofits on 2015 and prior MY’s. I’ll have to track them down and post references. But in those cases, they’d likely run into the same situation that I’m seeing on the C-Max now given they share the same platform. Namely no PAM AsBuilt for a proper fix for these retrofits.

https://www.fordescape.org/threads/question-for-2017-owners-with-enhanced-active-park-assist.92881/post-937913

EDIT: One thing I didn’t think of that may be worth trying just for the heck of it (and adding another data point) is throwing my old Sync 2 APIM back in and enabling the FG/sensor display options there (I never bothered with AsBuilt tweaks on S2 before I did my retrofit) and see how it behaves.

2 Likes

Anyway back to the topic on hand :rofl:

I’ll try driving around some more with this config but I didn’t see anything last time I tried.

PAM Asbuilt: (Posted above.)
736-01-01 1A40 0000 99
736-02-01 0860 0000 A8
736-03-01 0000 0000 41
736-04-01 0001 0000 43
736-05-01 0000 2100 64

Try this asbuilt for your PAM…
Changes:
736-01-01 0AD0 0409 00 No APA Button on dash? Change to 0AD0 0009 00
736-02-01 0860 0000 A8
736-03-01 0000 4218 00
736-04-01 0740 2000 00
736-05-01 3FFD 2100 00

I did not calculate the checksums so let FORScan do it when you write the new asbuilt coding.

Summary:

“Incompatible configuration” with 736-01-01 when writing the 3rd and last value , 736-03-01 the entire 2nd block, 736-04-01 the entire value and for the first 4 values for 736-05-01

Try this then…

736-01-01 1A48 0000 00
736-02-01 0860 0000 00
736-03-01 0000 0000 00
736-04-01 0000 0000 00
736-05-01 0308 2101 00