Help with My20 APIM sync 3 to sync 3.4

Hi,
I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
My son has bought a 2018 fiesta but it has had a warranty sync unit fitted by the Ford dealer.
I can confirm with the syn3updater that it is definitely a MY20 unit.
It is on sync 3.0 but I would like to change it to the latest 3.4 build.
I know it’s not supported on here but I would like to know if anyone has indeed successfully done this.
From what I have read it can be done by:

1. Jailbreaking the Apim via the Fmods jailbreak tool.
  2. Format the APIM using Fmods reformat tool.
  3. Reformat and install the latest sync 3.4 using the cyanlabs updater tool.

If anybody has any information on how it’s done or even better a step by step guide I would be more than grateful.

SYNC Region: EU

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: MY20

Install Type: OEM Replacement

Old SYNC Version: 3.0

New SYNC Version: 3.0

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
No

Update Method: Official Ford

This is wrong, if he has a my20 and is on 3.0 syn3updater can’t help him. He is on the right tracks

1 Like

Hello.

Since we do not support jailbreak, you should check Fmods’ forums, since it is the creator of the tool.

It’s all about researching, I’ve spent about 10 minutes doing so and here are a few pointers:

Hopefully, you will find what you are looking for there, since as said before, you are on the right track.

Thank you for the quick replies.
What is it that actually brick’s the units? I’ve read its a driver issue with the screen but also read its a formatting issue?
I think I would be happier knowing the exact reason that causes it to brick the unit.

The leaked Ford reformat tool used by Syn3Updater does not have the proper drivers to handle MY20 hardware, being drivers for the screens or/and eMMC…

1 Like

Does the fmods universal reformat tool have the correct drivers then?
I’m a little confused why using the fmods reformatter and jailbreak gets around the driver issue?

You can ask them, as said before, we do not support it.
The bottom line is that it works, but it’s the user’s decision to proceed or not.

1 Like

Yes as it’s via jailbreak they are not restricted to only being able to use ford signed packages and therefore can modify the package adding additional drivers, newer boot images etc.

1 Like

That makes sense, thank you for explaining it to me.
I’ll give it a go this weekend.

Thanks again

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.