Hotspot issue 20’ APIM install into a 17’ explorer

That’s exactly what I get in my Fusion 2016 after retrofitting hotspot capable 4G modem. Just an empty window pops up asking to wait. There’s no login window to activate a subscription plan.

I am betting it is related to our VIN info in the Ford’s Database. Will be interested in hearing @F150Chief has to say about it. I like a challenge so if there is a possibility we can figure out how to make this functionality work on the system architecture of our MY 16/17’s I am up for it. But I have a sneaking suspicion it’s related to the info for our VIN in the database.

Yes, that is it exactly. You need to call AT&T and see if they will associate the VIN and TCU serial number for your service.

Just to confirm call ATT and let them know I am having a functional issue with sync features and have been advised to call in and request VIN and TCU SN association to my hotspot subscription, which will resolve issue? And by TCU SN you mean the ICCID?

So I called and no bueno` the ATT representative conferenced Ford customer support into the call to have the FORD CS rep explain that it wouldn’t be possible to have hotspot activated because the car didn’t come with an onboard modem from the factory and advised that ATT did have a wifi hot spot option. ATT has what is called a Spark device that plugs into the OBD II port. Thanked them both said I would go to a local ATT store and check it out.

Yep

I knew it! The connectivity settings will not work until you goto a L series TCU on HS4.

1 Like

They activated mine. I never told them it was on another car, gave them the original VIN and worked fine.

I set it up online for my Expedition that did come with a hotspot so I am sure it could be done that way also.

Try this link…

AT&T (att.com)

1 Like

I have hotspot activated using the donor vin. The kids are using the free trial :laughing:

Sweet! One of my kids burnt up the whole 3Gb’s driving from Portland to Seattle one time.

Make sure to keep you VIN for the APIM also. You will need this if you want the free map upgrades that the original Explorer would have gotten for 5 years. There is a trick to getting that to work.

I have the tags that came on each component from the salvage yard that has the donor vin printed on them folded up and tucked into the cover of the owners manual kit.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.