MY20 Sync 3.4 Master Reset failed to blackscreem

I have been having bluetooth connectivity, and phonebook contact issues with a 2020 Super Duty with Navigation. I updated SYNC over WiFi on 6-17-2022 which did not help. I then tried a Master Reset through the SYNC screen. When it got to a black screen, which I thought was done with the Master Reset, the screen never came out of the black screen. I am not sure of the SYNC versions since I have a black screen.

I have pulled fuses, and disconnected batteries. I have ran tests in Forscan, ran the AS BUILTS, and reset modules. I still only get the splash screen at startup then the background lighted black screen. I only have the radio station that was on at the time of the reset. All the controls except the volume knob are unresponsive, EXCEPT the volume and forward seek button for a SOFT RESET.

I am not experienced with the CYANLABS software, only vaguely familiar with Forscan.

Is there any saving the APIM???

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Install Type: Stock (Original Unit)

Old SYNC Version: 3.3.000

New SYNC Version: 3.4.000

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
None found

Update Method: Official Ford

Syn3 Updater Version:

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read:

Syn3 Updater Log File

Is the car under warranty?.
If so, I would contact the dealer.

I’m asking because a master reset should not cause a black screen…
…unless there’s something wrong with the unit (which the warranty would cover) or if the user did something (have you done anything?)…

Since your unit seems somewhat alive, check via forscan which theme do you have set.
This is the value you need to check → https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/sync3-apim/?search=Visual%2520Design%2520Variants%2520(VDV)%2520Sync%2520Versions%25203.0%2520thru%25203.4

Also, you not knowing which version the unit has does not really help.
You are saying the old one was 3.3 and the new one 3.4…
You could try creating an interrogator log to see if the unit produces the xml file, that will give information on what’s on the APIM. But the interrogator log is version dependent, so you will need to try many things.

From Tutorial: APIM Interrogator Utility/Create Interrogator Log

• For Sync 3.0 version 1.0/2.2/2.3, use file GB5T-14G386-AA. (Released 2016-05-26)
  • For Sync 3.2/3.3 all versions, use file GB5T-14G386-AB. (Released 2018-10-11)
  • For Sync 3.4.18347 to 3.4.20237, use file GB5T-14G386-AC. (Released 2020-02-19)
  • For Sync 3.4.20282 to present, use file GB5T-14G386-AD. (Released 2020-10-07)

2020 SD’s comes with Sync 3.4, not Sync 3.3. How did you upgrade the unit? Was it with an autoinstall thru FORD over WIFI? Or was it a reformat thru CyanLabs or one of the F150/F250 SD websites?

An autoinstall would not result in a black screen, either over WIFI or USB. As Sandman states above, try creating an interrogator log to see if the unit produces the xml file, that will give information on what’s on the APIM. But the interrogator log is version dependent, so you will need to try many things.

We need information in order to help…

1 Like

Its not under warranty, 62,000 miles. The autoupdate through the Ford Sync setting screen over WiFi took, but didn’t help the bluetooth connectivity issues. Therefore, I tried to do a MASTER RESET via the Sync Settings menu. The screen turned black after several minutes, and never came back to life. I turned the truck off, and then back on, only to continue to see the black screen. After several more minutes of waiting, I did a SOFT RESET with the power and seek forward buttons.

The only thing the screen will show is the splash screen on start up, or when soft resetting.

Upon running the AS BUILT through Forscan, it changed the splash screen from the “Raptor” version to the factory “Ford”.

It sounds like I need to run the Interrogator Utility using the 3.4.20282 to present file, since I just updated the Sync version last week.

Thanks for the help.

I have made the updater file. I turn the key to the accessory, and wait for the splash screen to go away. I inserted the USB with the updater on it, but with a background lighted black screen, I can not tell any process. Would Forscan APIM Firmware update be something to try to “reset” the black screen?

Have you checked if there was a log created?

So, I never got any response on the screen with the updater USB installed. I gave it maybe 45 minutes with the key on and USB installed. I turned the key off, removed the USB, started the truck, and still had a black screen. After about 10 minutes of driving normal, I shut the truck off at the store to buy some truck batteries, as mine had clicked after using Forscan for an extended period 5 days ago. I then put the batteries in the bed of the truck to be installed later since the old batteries were still preforming. I got about 2 minutes down the road and the screen came back to life, and seems to be working.

I put the USB in my computer and I don’t have a XML file in the SyncMyRide folder. The log seems to only be what was downloaded to the USB drive with Updater such as the maps.

I’m curious if I should reinsert the Updater USB into the vehicle??? Or do a MASTER RESET through Sync???

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.