No build number, could not update Sync 3 to version 3.4

I’ve recently got a used Sync 3 unit. I am trying to upgrade to 3.4 but not successful. The following issues found:

• Current “About SYNC” reads SYNC 3, software version: Build… Ford Motor Company. No build number shown here
  • I tried upgrading to 3.4 using the manual method as per Cyanlabs guide, including reformat not nothing worked. SYNC 3 detected the USB when I inserted then nothing else happens.
  • There is not Wifi under SYNC 3 settings
  • Automatic update could not turn on
    I hope someone can help.

SYNC Region: ROW

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: Retrofit

Old SYNC Version: 2

New SYNC Version: 3

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
No messages

Update Method: CyanLabs Manual Method

Did you try a Master Reset?

Yes, I did many times.

I’ve seen this before where the unit programming did not match the vehicle (eg Fusion donor into an Escape).
If you are doing an MFT to Sync3 upgrade, who did your custom/VIN programming?
If this is a 4" to 8" upgrade your existing AB cannot be used, you’ll need a custom one for it as well.

Can you post a photo of the APIM 's sticker?.
Does the interrogator log work?.

I upgraded from MFT to Sync 3 and did the VIN programming myself. What I did was to load the as-built from a same car but came equipped with Sync 3.
I’ve got as-built file from here https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/
Looks like I did something wrong here?
What should be the correct way of doing VIN programming?

Hard to say what is wrong when we don’t know what car and features you have. I could guess anything without that. The previous AB from the MFT would help at the least. Also a description of what problems you are having would really help narrow it down a lot without guessing at that.

Here it is
I could not get interrogator log to work. USB was created but nothing happened when I inserted it into the car.

I am having the following problems

• Completely no Wi-fi in setting. The Wi-fi icon is not there in Settings
  • Neither software version nor build number shown available
  • Couldn’t update to 3.4. I tried reformat method but nothing happened when USB is inserted (though USB was detected and indexed)

I think your APIM might be a Chinese fraudulent one. That Phillips screw in the bottom left should not be there. At least it’s not there on any of the ones I have sitting here. The label does not match anything I have either.

I would send it back where you got it.

Thank you for your reply. I will send it back to the seller.

Do you have forscan and an adapter?, I would like to see what APIM that really is.
The sticker says it’s a 14G370, but usually the APIMs present themselves as something 14G371.
We have seen this behavior with recent APIMs, but I do not remember someone from 2018 with that (But it could, of course).

Also, if you do not have forscan, I think you can see that information from the Bezel Diagnostics menues…

What year & model is your car and what trim is your car?
What was the model/year/trim was the donor?
Can you save the config from Forscan and post it here so that we can see what you have.

Here’s what it should look like.

WITH an assembled in China sticker??

There are legitimate units assembled in China at Visteon Shanghai.
It all comes down to where Ford needs to get the parts from and where the vehicle is built.
Here in the US most come out of Mexico, in the EU Hungary, Czech and India are not uncommon.
Back in 2013-2015, the NA Fusions were made at Hermasillo and Flat Rock, but the FCIMs could be out of Mexico or Germany. The Mexico units had an older firmware that kept factory remote start from working right, while the German units had a newer firmware which worked correctly as they were also used in the EU Mondeo production.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I already removed the unit and reinstalled the old one.

My is 2015 Focus Hatchback, top trim. I am unsure of the donor vehicle.

Here’s one for a NA 2014 Escape TI Sync3 which should be fairly close since the Fiesta/Focus/Escape are the same family.
The only bug I know of is the AC power button status in the climate screen is backwards (shows off when its on), there’s a jailbreak fix for that over on fmods.
2014 Escape Ti Sync3 APIM.abt (495 Bytes)

2 Likes

Thank you so much