Repeated message that software is updating even after installation has completed and USB is removed

I have a 2019 plate Fiesta Active X. I recently tried installing the 2022 EU 2.21 (F11) maps update from the official Ford site. I have previously successfully updated the application and maps from Ford with no issue. This time though the multiple reboots caught me out and I think I might have removed the USB drive before the entire process had completed because every 3 or so times that I start the ignition I get the popup message “Installation in Progress” even though there is no USB plugged in. Weirdly though the About screen on the SYNC system says I am running Sync version 3.0.20204 and 2022 EU 2.21 (F11) Maps and Ford no longer shows any update as available. Which is also strange because the system doesn’t seem to have produced any log file for me to upload to Ford this time. I have tried performing a Master Reset but the problem persists.

If I plug the USB drive back in, it completes the updates and reboots fairly quickly (~15m) and gets me to the point of saying I can remove the USB and everything looks OK. However the “Installation in Progress” message still appears every 3 or so times I start the car.

I found a very similar problem reported on this forum and the advice was to follow this tutorial Tutorial: Sync 3.0.20204 with 2022 EU 2.21 (F11) Map Installation

I have started to do this and I have seemingly completed the Sync3.0.20204 EU apps installation and got the “Installation complete” message. I waited until remove the USB device this time until explicitly told to do so. However I am still frequently getting the message “Installation in Progress” when I start the car without any USB plugged in. Should I plough on with the “EU 2.21 (F11) NAV Package Installation” section from the Tutorial or do I need to do something else?

SYNC Region: EU

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

New SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
“Updating Software” repeating every 3 or so times that I start the car even with no USB plugged in.

Update Method: Official Ford

Create an interrogator log and share it here.
Also, share the autoinstall.lst file Ford gave you.

Thank you for your reply. I really hope you can help me solve this.

This is the interrogator log generated today after getting partway through the tutorial. (Out of interest after the interrogator finished running/installing, the system restarted and kept running again and again. I had to just pull the Interrogator Log USB drive out in the end.)
Sync_NX5J011R_WF0JXXGAHJJJ05126.xml (10.2 KB)

Here is an interrogator log I generated immediately after installing the Ford update but before following the tutorial on this site.

Sync_NX5J011R_WF0JXXGAHJJJ05126.xml (10.2 KB)

and finally here is the autoinstall.lst from Ford
autoinstall.lst (790 Bytes)

Unless I’m mistaken, the autoinstall.lst file that Ford pushed your way has correctly installed everything on the unit. All relevant packages are correctly installed.
About it not creating a log, that is strange but maybe that’s where you interrupted the process?. You already created that log by running the interrogator log, so you could update that to Ford once you are comfortable with it.

About the guide you mentioned nothing makes any reference to your particular issue.
If so, please point it out.

About the message there’s a sw update, I remember that can happen if an installation is not correctly registered by Sync3, and the only way for it to go away is to actually perform an update.

So this is what I would try, since you are on 3.0.

• Create and run an gracenotes removal USB with syn3updater.
  • That’s an autoinstall that will remove Gracenotes from your unit.
  • Once it’s removed, manually install it again by using this autoinstall.lst file

; SYNC3 Consumer Application Upgrade - Release 3.0.25 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.20204]
Item1 = JR3T-14G423-AB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz
Options = Autoinstall

See if that helps…
Since you are on 3.0 and I’m not 100% sure Gracenote removal works, once the removal USB has been run on the unit confirm that Gracenotes’ version is not shown in the about sync3 screen…

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I have a repeating “Updating Software” message as per Repeated message that software is updating even after installation has completed and USB is removed. Unfortunately that topic was automatically closed (after only 2 days!) before I had chance to test out the process and report back. I uninstalled Gracenotes using Syn3Updaterand checked that the version number was no longer shown in the Sync3 about screen. Incidentally the repeating message was still appearing at this point. I then reinstalled Gracenotes using JR3T-14G423-AB as per the suggestion but I am still getting the message roughly every 3 times I start the ignition. I have checked that Gracenotes version number is now shown so the update has installed and I have tried performing a master reset but the problem persists. Do you have any other ideas please?

SYNC Region: EU

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

New SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
“Updating Software”

Update Method: Official Ford

That’s a lie, it was auto closed after 17 days of silence from your side.
17 days, not 2…

At this point, I would try installing an older 3.0 like JR3T-14G381-AU… Then master reset and install again your current 3.0 JR3T-14G381-AX. If that does not work, I’m out of ideas for 3.0.

Thanks for the suggestion and I really appreciate your help so far. Apologies for the silence on my part. I share the car with my wife and rarely go on long enough journeys to complete the updates.

Sorry for saying it was closed after only 2 days. I wasnt intentionally lying. I was confused by the message below the previous topic that says “This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.” (bold mine) However I can now see that was only posted 22 hours ago. Have I misunderstood the message or does it need updating perhaps?

If rolling back 3.0 doesnt work, would you suggest using syn3updater to update to a newer version?

That was because I flagged that thread as resolved after you went silent for over 2 weeks… solved threads are autoclosed after 2 days of inactivity, which in your case was already overdue and then it was closed with that legend. But the last post on that thread was from me Nov 8th, so yeah, not 2 days…

I will merge both these threads now.

Syn3updater does not handle 3.0 versions.
I think that going to newer ones could/may get rid of that since the unit is reformatted, as long as it’s not MY20 you could do that, yes.

Do you have auto update enabled ?

Auto install any package and that should resolve the “updating software” prompt.

I have installed JR3T-14G381-AU, master reset and I’m still getting the message. Going to try JR3T-14G381-AX again and hope that fixes it.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.