SYNC 3.4 from NA to EU (MY20?)

I have a 2020 EXPLORER from the USA who is currently in UA.
The car was manufactured on 01.2020 and Syn3updater told me that it was 20MY, respectively, I carried out autoinstall with MAP UPDATE ONLY (F10) after removing the gracenotes.
The installation file contains:

• voice 5U5T-14G391-AP
  • maps …BHH, BBH
  • map_license …BXH
  • voice_nav 4U5T-14G422-BCF

After install complete I received navigation that sows my on the map, but the address search didn`t working. I think this is due to the fact that I have not installed the common map of Europe (1U5T-14G421-BAH) but after install the unit has only 2.2Gb free space and I worrying that i didn’t fit to that size of free space.

Questions:

1. Is it possible that my car is not MY20 (build date 01.2020)? How can I know for sure?
  2. Is there a way to delete ALL navigation maps without reformat?
  3. Can I, at the time of the reformat, install a screen from an older machine to go through the reformat procedure and, after downgrading to FW 3.3.19052, start the reformat to 3.4.21265 with cards that fits into 32GB APIM?
  4. Is the GR3T-188955-SB screen suitable for this procedure?
  5. Is it possible to find out the build date of the screen by the serial number in order to find the right one screen?

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Old SYNC Version: 3.4.19274

New SYNC Version: 3.4.19274

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.10.6

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: Yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

INTERROGATOR LOG

VIN: 1FMSK8…
Version 5U5T-14G381-CJ
APIM Model: 5U5T-14G371-CKF
APIM Type: Navigation
APIM Size: 32GB
APIM Free Space: 2.2G

Installed Packages
4U5T-14G421-CAB
4U5T-14G421-CBB
4U5T-14G421-CCB
4U5T-14G421-CDB
4U5T-14G421-CEB
4U5T-14G421-CFB
4U5T-14G421-CGB
4U5T-14G421-CHB
4U5T-14G421-CJB
5U5T-14G391-AP
1U5T-14G421-BHH
1U5T-14G424-BK
1U5T-14G421-BBH
4U5T-14G422-BCF

Hello there.

Before answering your questions, I’ve one for you: you are basically trying to perform a region change, which requires some modifications via ForScan. Have you done so?.

Now, the answers, as far as i know:

1. Issue is not with the car, but the APIM & Screen model. You can have a 2017 Focus with a serviced or retrofit Sync3 unit which has MY20 components. Run the APIM interrogator, it will give you the part number for the APIM. If the APIM is listed as MY20 then yes, your APIM is MY20. I believe L series is MY20 and later.
  2. As far as I know, there’s no way to delete maps without reformat
  3. This might work, but it’s risky. The issue with reformat is that the leaked reformat package lacks the MY20 screen drivers needed, that’s why you would get a black screen. We have some users that were able to reformat a MY20 APIM with a not-MY20 screen, but we also had some reports of users trying that same procedure which lead them to bricked APIMs. So, it should work, but it’s not guaranteed.
  4. I would say yes, but wait confirmation from others before proceeding. I’m not that knowledgeable about part numbers.
  5. Do you have access to the physical part?, there should be some sticker saying some information, not only serial number, but also part number I believe. But if the APIM and screen are stock, they are most likely the same model; so if APIM is MY20, so is the screen.

Of course, before that I changed the region both in the APIM and in the IPC modules.

1. Yes, I ran the interrogator, I provided it in the post. APIM Version 5U5T-14G381-CJ APIM Model: 5U5T-14G371-CKF but I didn`t understand clearly where I can see is this MY20 or not in log?
  2. One man told me that is possible, but he didn`t tell me how. :frowning:
  3. Ok, thanks.
  4. Ok. Maybe somebody say something about that.
  5. No at this moment. This is my car and if it necessary i can make it out.

The thing that you provided is just the “summary” of the log, not the full log.
But, it’s enough to see that you have a 5U5T APIM, which is MY20.
Do you have the original XML file?, would you post it please? (edit your VIN before doing so). If you could attach the file, it would be best.

About question 2, there’s a way for you to install whatever you want on a MY20 APIM, the issue is that you need specialized equipment. So it can be done, but when we say that it can’t be done, we are talking for end-users.

1 Like

Yes, here is it
Sync_WYCDFSWN_1FMSK8.xml (10.9 KB)

If you told me about flashing emmc, I didn`t have this equipment, but he spoke about the procedure through USB drive.

1 Like

Thank you for the log file. Interesting, I would had thought Syn3updater would flash a warning about the APIM being detected as MY20…

And yes, I was referring to flashing emmc.
If he knows a way to delete maps by just using USB, some community members would be quite interested in knowing what he is doing.
And also, when we say “by USB” we also mean sitting in your car and just plugging in an USB drive, without the need to perform any other physical operation against the UNIT. Just as you would update Sync3 with an USB.

1 Like

Exactly. But he didn`t say how. It is his job, he professionally do this and I have no reason not to trust him.

1 Like

What country is UA?
Your APIM is coded 5253, the country code for Russia (RS). If you are in the Ukraine, you should use code 5550 for UP.

Your APIM is indeed a MY20 APIM, 5U5T-14G371-CKF with NAV/32GB storage. Free space is only 2.2GB, so do NOT install anything else on this unit or you might run it out of memory to process another update or rescue attempt.

This is what is installed:
5U5T-14G381-CJ (Sync 3.4.19274)
5U5T-14G391-AP (Sync Voice)
1U5T-14G421-BBH (Only part of the EU required components)
1U5T-14G421-BHH (Bulgaria, Belarus, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Romania, Russia, Ukraine)
4U5T-14G422-BCF (NAV-Voice file)
1U5T-14G424-BK (EU License file)
and the entire NA map package…which cannot be removed with autoinstall.

A word of caution for what it’s worth: Any flashing of the EMMC with ‘other than Ford legally authorized software’ will void any warranty on this device and could make service departments suspicious. However, that is your choice to make.

It is possible to install a screen from an older machine to go through the procedure after downgrading to 3.3.19052, start the reformat to 3.4.21265 with NAV files that fit onto 32GB APIM. But as posted above, this is NOT guaranteed to work. You may end up with a bricked APIM. The screen you listed above, GR3T-188955-SB, would be suitable for this procedure. Again, that is your choice to make.

This tutorial is for vehicles that can use reformat, but it is useful nonetheless…
Tutorial: Current EU Maps Installation on US Imported Vehicles - Ford / Guides & Info - CyanLabs Official Community

Your best course of action might be to have your service department repair or replace the unit.

1 Like

Yes its Ukraine, Ill try to change code.

So I can`t install common map of EU. :frowning:

Unfortunately, I didn`t have the warranty coverage in Ukraine< so I have free hands to do anything with my car.

Sounds good. It worth to be try.
Anyway if it`s bricked, I have an option with reprogramming emmc.

Thanks for information.

PS:U didn’t say anything about delete NA maps by USB drive, did U know something about it?

If you could make room on the unit, yes. But something will have to be deleted. You could change the Sync Voice file to a smaller file, but you will loose Russian language for Sync. You can make the install with the Syn3 Updater, “Create Small Voice Package” in the Utility menu. This might give you enough room to install the missing map piece to make the maps work, but the downside is the language. All the other files, including NAV Voice, are about the same size across the regions, so replacing those doesn’t really gain any space.

1. Replace the EU Sync Voice file (5U5T-14G391-AP) with the North America Sync Voice file (5U5T-14G391-CP).
    5U5T-14G391-AP 1.6Gb Sync3 v3.2.21169
    5U5T-14G391-CP 394Mb Sync3 v3.2.21169
  2. Install 1U5T-14G421-BAH via autoinstall.
    Autoinstall file contents:

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = 1U5T-14G421-BAH
Open1 = SyncMyRide\1U5T-14G421-BAH.TAR.GZ
Options = AutoInstall

Good to know. Thank you.

This was once supported by Ford but was discontinued because it really caused more issues for the service departments. No longer available.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, but it doesn’t make sense, at least for me. The Russian language more important than navigation, that can working by “car play” :slight_smile:

So I try to find way to delete NA maps, or change screen to do reformat.

1 Like

Those are the options at this point, I agree. Let us know what you find and how it turns out.

I moved the posts from the other thread here to consolidate.

1 Like

Hello.
Maybe you can tell me what I’m doing wrong.
I have 2020 FORD EXPLORER of course he is with 20MY so I do autoinstall with only updates:

• voice 5U5T-14G391-AP
  • maps …BHH, BBH
  • map_license …BXH
  • voice_nav 4U5T-14G422-BCF

My position is now displayed on the map, navigation works, but address search does not work. When I try to enter an address, the navigation responds “No matches found”. :frowning:

What have I done wrong?

INTERROGATOR LOG

VIN: 1FMSK8…
Version 5U5T-14G381-CJ
APIM Model: 5U5T-14G371-CKF
APIM Type: Navigation
APIM Size: 32GB
APIM Free Space: 2.2G

Installed Packages
4U5T-14G421-CAB
4U5T-14G421-CBB
4U5T-14G421-CCB
4U5T-14G421-CDB
4U5T-14G421-CEB
4U5T-14G421-CFB
4U5T-14G421-CGB
4U5T-14G421-CHB
4U5T-14G421-CJB
5U5T-14G391-AP
1U5T-14G421-BHH
1U5T-14G424-BK
1U5T-14G421-BBH
4U5T-14G422-BCF

Give us more information. Did EU navigation worked before?, or this is the first time you are trying to convert it?.

Did you perform all the changes described before?.

Did you master reset once you were done?

Since you are MY20, do not reformat it.
I know you know this, but it’s a reminder.

You can’t convert without using reformat and you cant reformat on my20 as stated in the tutorial.

1 Like
  1. The car was from USA and original has NA maps
  2. I didn`t undusted what a you mean. Everything I did was described earlier.
  3. No, I didn’t. Only reboot. It is necessary?

You do not loose anything by trying it.
It will reset your APIM to defaults, you will have to re pair your phones, set your preferences again…

It may or not help.

But since it was said before, if you can’t convert without reformating, then you can convert.

Oh you about that.
Yes I made master reset from the SYNC menu. There is nothing changed. :frowning:

First of all thanks to all who try to solve a problem.

Summing up, we get the following:

1. Leave it as it is and do not use navigation (there is no way to search for an address)
  2. Go to the English voice package (because it takes up less space) and install a general map of Europe.

Unfortunately, both options are a half solution. I need to look for another solution, how to make a full transfer to EU content (reformat).

The solution is simple: an EU car must have an EU APIM (64GB) and EU maps loaded.

If you buy an APIM, just make sure it has not MY20 components.

2 Likes