SYNC 3 MY20 - black screen

What is your SYNC Region? NA

Do you have Navigation? SYNC 3

What region is your SYNC APIM? NA

What was your old SYNC Version? 3.4.1920

I got a kuga from 2020 from the usa. It has a black screen, most likely someone did a reformat. How do I fix the unit ?? I read a dump eemc. Unfortunately, Please help.

If this is how you received the car then I would first try and take it up with whoever sold it to you. By attempting a reformat on a MY20+ vehicle they essentially bricked the unit.

The only way to recover from this is to either try attaching an older screen and downgrading the firmware on the APIM to accept the older screen (completing the reformat) or replacing it outright with a new one.

1 Like

Or a emmc flash but I won’t go in to details here on that

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have a working emmc image.

Tomorrow I will have a screen from older sync3.
If it starts what is the best software to install?

1 Like

It’s the same, I would install the lastest one.
Just to be clear, reformat tool does not have proper drivers for the screen. Once you bypass that by changing to older hardware, then it should work. After your are done, it does not really matter which screen you leave on.
Issue is with the reformat tool not supporting that hardware, it’s not a Sync3 issue.

1 Like

If I understand correctly. I will update the software itself and mark SYNC Updater MY20 (active), this should make me a proper flash drive that will bring the original screen back to life.

1 Like

Assuming the black screen is due to a reformat on a MY20, when you replace the screen with an older one, just start the unit to see what it does.

If it goes into reformat then yes, create a reformat USB with Syn3Updater and perform the operation.

If the screen is still black after replacement, then something else had happened and there’s no point in creating an USB.

2 Likes

Well, no. Using the reformat tool has disabled the MY20 screen, since the drivers are not correct. You will need FORScan to correct this. Read the attached, it will help…

Sync 3.4 Black Screen.txt (753 Bytes)

2 Likes

Thanks for your help, I’ll check back next week. Because only then will I have the old display. Will inform you about the result

2 Likes

@fifipoland how did it go?

I was sent the wrong display. I am waiting for a new one.

1 Like

@fifipoland ,

Just following up to see if you were able to fix the issue…

2 Likes

Hello, I just bought a SYNC 3 from ford it was manufactured in 2021 but it comes with version 3.0, here is its seire number L06R002M I would like to know if it is therefore a MY20? how can i find out if it’s a MY20?

Is it installed? You are looking for the production number, it will look something like LU5T-14G370-xx. It will be on the label on the back of the unit, the finned side.

Like the number to the right in the pic…

Is this for the Transit van?

A brand new 2021 APIM would only have Version 3.0 on it??? They must have ordered it as a replacement for an older car.

1 Like

That is what I was thinking also…

Ford Transit custom mise à jour SYNC 3 - Ford / Sync 3 - CyanLabs Official Community

1 Like

Indeed it is for an older car not the transit. however I confirm manufacture 2021 purchase in concession. How can I find out if it’s a MY20? I have the log file

Sync_L06R002M_1FM5K7D91EGC37690.xml (10,5 Ko)

JR3T-14G371-FFB

Not My20.

ok, how do you know so you have a list?

1 Like

Syn3 Updater would tell you if you ran the interrogator tool though it and opened your XML log file with it, the starting letter e.g J means it’s old, 5 and L are new.