Sync 3 very laggy but fine with USB stick inserted. Sync 3.0.20204 with EU2.21 maps failing installation

@F150Chief Awesome thank you, so at last it’s looking and working much better than it was. I’ll do as you say and check the IVSU version tomorrow then if I can and report back. And then I’ll have a go at installing GN and hopefully that’ll be it! And it’s looking like my module isn’t an issue either which is also great.

It seems that after all, what you read in the past about old maps not being compatible was the cause of the lag.

Good it’s working now with the assistance of our valuable member f150chief!

2 Likes

@SaNdMaN hopefully that was it yeah! Obviously I need to get GN installed to finish it off but it’s looking like it’s almost there, and yeah @F150Chief has literally saved me so much headache. I’m not really bothered if I can’t install GN anyway as it’s not something I use anyway but I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

@F150Chief I started the vehicle this morning and I’m still getting the Installation In Progress message even though the USB stick isn’t present, if I’m unable to get GN to install is there any way to stop that message?

That will go away once a package is updated, any package.
Also, have you tried performing a master reset?, maybe that will do it.
But I remember updating any package will take care of that as well.

1 Like

@SaNdMaN I have done a Master Reset yes. Just reading that sometimes due to space requirements that GN can’t be installed so if that’s was to happen I’d possibly be stuck with that message.

I do not recall how much free storage your APIM has, but if you have not enough room, you can always install a different Sync3 version for the system to acknowledge the updated package, and the message would be gone.

1 Like

@SaNdMaN I believe @F150Chief said it has 64GB after looking at the logs. I’ll see if I can install GN tomorrow anyway and see if that cures it. I don’t think I have the energy to try to install Sync again lol I’ve been at it for about 6 weeks!

@F150 I’ve just had a go at the GN install.

Started engine
Got the ‘Installation In Progress’ as per above before the USB stick was inserted
Inserted the USB stick
‘Installation In Progress’
Waited 2mins
‘Installation Complete, please remove USB’
System instantly rebooted before I could remove it so when it rebooted it automatically started the install again (as it was doing before)
‘Installation In Progress’
Waited 2mins
‘Installation Complete, please remove USB’ so I pulled it out quickly before the system rebooted
Locked the vehicle
Waited 5mins
Unlocked it and restarted the engine

Same message as before 'Installation In Progress, please leave USB inserted even though it’s not inserted but now the About Sync does now show the GN version 1.1.1.1127 (EU-0010)

So it’s a massive success so far, I’ll just have to see if that ‘Installation In Progress’ message keeps popping up wrongly and somehow deal with it if it persists. I have locked it 3 times and wanted 5 mins each time before restarting and the message is still appearing currently which I guess is a good indication that it will keep happening.

EDIT/ Been out in it a couple of times today and most of the time it does pop that ‘Installation In Progress’ message up when I start it up. Even though GN is now showing a version number should I keep trying the install until that message stops appearing?

No, GN is fine. The message is really about the Sync app. There is something you can try to clear the message, which is install the Sync app again. I have cleared these messages by installing the previous version Sync app. Once it clears I installed the newer version, or back to where it was. Unfortunately, it won’t just go away on it’s own.

1 Like

@F150Chief thanks so what needs installing again, the AB, AE and AX files? The issue I had initially installing those files was that when it was done and the ‘Installation Complete’ message popped up the system would instantly reboot and start the whole process again like it was stuck in a loop. The only way out of it was to pull the USB stick out quickly when I saw the message pop up. How can I avoid this loop?

1 Like

Only the -AX file. You know the USB setup by now…
autoinstall.lst (219 Bytes)

Did you ever check the IVSU version?

2 Likes

@F150Chief haha thanks, I’ll give that a go tomorrow then as it’s getting late here now. I didn’t actually check the ISVU version again via the bezel diagnostics after the successful install of GN yesterday no because I thought I was out of the woods at that point. Tomorrow after work I’ll try the AX install again, then check all the versions and report back with those plus a new interrogator log :+1:t2:

@F150Chief Had a go at reinstallig the -AX file, again it seems to be in some kind of loop…

Insert USB
Installation in Progress Pop-Up
Updating System Software
Wait a few minutes
Installation Complete It’s now safe to remove USB stick Pop-Up
System instantly reboots
Installation in Progress Pop-Up
Updating System Software
And the whole thing starts again

It’s not giving me a definite time to remove the USB stick, it just reboots and starts again so the only choice I have is to quickly pull it out when the message flashes up quickly. So I did that but still get the Installation In Progress message when I start the vehicle?!

Bezel diagnostics show ISVU versions as follows:

AX - 3.0.20204
AE - 3.2.19056
AB - 3.0.17024
BD - 2.216204
BG - 3.2.22023

Log file here:
Sync_LW3D00F8_WF0RXXWPGRHM78267.xml (10.2 KB)

1 Like

The bezel diagnostics agree with the interrogator log that you still have an old map file (HB5T-14G421-BD, - 2.216204) loaded and not the newer file. This is more likely the cause of the message. Although the maps do seem to work, the map data is older. Re-installing the Sync app didn’t clear the message at this point, so this must be because of the map file never completing the installation.

So, are you attached to Sync 3.0 for any reason? I think updating the unit to Sync 3.3 or 3.4 is probably the best answer for this.

1 Like

@F150Chief I see, it’s not a massive problem that the message keeps popping up but it is a little bit annoying. I’ve not at all read up on the pros and cons of updating beyond what should be on my system so not sure if that’s what I want to do, I have read that once you go beyond 3.0 you can’t roll back so you’re just stuck with whatever issues may arise. I’m not at all attached to any particular version, I just want everything to work as intended. Not sure I’m ready for opening that can of worms yet though. So trying to reinstall the maps wouldn’t work no?

I want to research the map issue. This should install without issues, but it seems it is not working as expected. Give me a few days…

1 Like

@F150Chief thank you, I appreciate that :+1:t2:

@F150Chief just to add if you’re going to research it I don’t think the message pops up every single time I start the vehicle, so far it seems quite random as to when it does it as I’ve not noticed a pattern, I’ll keep looking for one though. I know the message itself is irrelevant really as the issue is one of the files hasn’t installed properly but figured I’d mention it in case it helps.

Do you still have the update package you downloaded from Ford for the maps? I need to see the autoinstall.lst file.
EDIT: I found the original autoinstall.lst file from Ford, and I think found the issue with the F11 map install with 3.0.20204.

This is the original Ford autoinstall.lst file contents:
; SYNC3 Consumer Application Upgrade - Release 3.0.25 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.20204_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-TJB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TJB.tar.gz
Item2 = JR3T-14G424-BH
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G424-BH.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G421-BH
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-BH.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall
[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.20204]
Item1 = JR3T-14G421-BH
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-BH.tar.gz
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TJB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TJB.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G422-BG
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G422-BG.tar.gz
Item4 = JR3T-14G423-AB
Open4 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include,Transaction
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = GB5T-14G386-AC
Open1 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AC.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include, Transaction

Notice that the F11 EU map file JR3T-14G421-BH has a split installation. This is due to processing free space, which I suspected but needed the file format of the autoinstall file. So, we can now install the F11 maps correctly on your APIM.

Notice the use of a utility file HB5T-14G386-TJB. This file is a hardware/software check. It checks 3 things and exits the installation if any one is true.
Exit if $MY is greater than 17.
Exit if $HD_SIZE is less than 50GB (64GB).
Exit if $SW is not 3.0.
We don’t need this file, but it will not hurt anything to leave it.
GB5T-14G386-AC is the Interrogator utility. Leave it so after the installation you will have a log file.

This is what to do:

1. Download all the files listed in the autoinstall file…and place these in the USB SyncMyRide folder.
    HB5T-14G386-TJB
    JR3T-14G424-BH
    JR3T-14G421-BH
    JR3T-14G422-BG
    JR3T-14G423-AB
    GB5T-14G386-AC
  2. Place this autoinstall.lst file in the root of the USB.
    autoinstall.lst (766 Bytes)
  3. Install in vehicle. This installation will take over an hour, easily. Maybe like 90 minutes. There will be at least 2 reboots, just let it run…you will eventually see the message about removing the USB after the 2nd reboot and after the Interrogator utility has run.

Let me know what happens, this should correct the issue.

1 Like