Sync 3 very laggy but fine with USB stick inserted. Sync 3.0.20204 with EU2.21 maps failing installation

Sorry I missed this one somehow, I wasn’t ignoring you.

If it is the module at fault why does the system have no lag when an install USB stick is inserted do you think?

Please edit your post rather than spamming 5+ posts

@Rip
If this is what is now installed on the APIM, you will have issues with performance, as the maps are old and need to be updated. You have a mix of old and new Nav components, which are not compatible with your Sync version. Specifically the HB5T files…The autoinstall.lst file you are using is wrong. This does not look like the autoinstall.lst from Ford, rather something someone modified, as the file list is incorrect as well as the installation options. I am surprised it installed anything at all without exhausting the storage space and failing. The maps you are trying to install are EU F10, which are not current.

Here is the list of files you need to have installed on the unit for Sync 3.0.20204 and system voice with EU F11 Nav package, with Gracenote.

Sync App: JR3T-14G381-AX 407Mb Sync3 v3.0.20204 22.07.2020
Sync system voice: JR3T-14G391-AE 1.5Gb Sync3 v3.2.19056-Pre18.5
Gracenote: JR3T-14G423-AB 711Mb Sync3 v3.0.17024 1.1.1.1127 (EU-0010) (23.08.2016)
EU F11 Map: JR3T-14G421-BH 15Gb Sync3 v3.2.22023-Pre18.5 EU.2.21 (10.05.2021, F11)
EU F11 Nav Voice: JR3T-14G422-BG 8.0Gb Sync3 v3.2.20346-Pre18.5 EU, Nav Data version: 1000. Packaged on: 20220104
Map License:JR3T-14G424-BH JR3T-14G424-BH EU 2.21 (F11)

The installation for these files will be in 2 steps:
The Sync app, voice, and Gracenote files.
The maps and nav voice files, including license.

You will need a USB formatted exFAT MBR, at least 32GB. The autoinstall.lst file goes in the root of the USB, the files go into the SyncMyRide folder on the USB.

PERFORM ONLY ONE INSTALLATION AT A TIME, DO NOT PLACE ALL THE FILES ON THE USB AT ONCE.

Based on the Interrogator log, you have a 64GB APIM, so there is no need for deletion of GN before installation of the app, voice, and GN files in the first step. Re-installing the Sync app, voice, and GN files is not necessary but I’m including the proper installation file.
autoinstall.lst (424 Bytes)

Once the above files for the OS are installed, perform a master reset and wait for the unit to fully boot, about 3 minutes at least. Then install the nav package. Do not mix up the autoinstall files, use another USB or wipe the USB to reuse from above.
autoinstall.lst (412 Bytes)

Once the nav package installation is complete, let the unit reboot on it’s own and fully come up with the nav maps. This is where most of the failed installations occur because people don’t wait for all the processes to complete.
DO NOT remove the USB until you are told to do so.
Key cycle only when you are told to do so.
DO NOT perform a master reset until all of the background processes are completed. This might take 10-15 minutes. Follow the instructions on the screen about removing the USB.
Once the unit seems to be operating properly, shut down the vehicle, lock it, and walk away for at least 15 minutes without disturbing the vehicle. You can then use the system as normal.

Now, if you do all this and verify with the Interrogator that the files are all installed properly, but the unit continues to give you issues as you described above, them the APIM is failing and will need to be replaced.

1 Like

Wow ok thank you. I may need some more help with actually getting this done if you don’t mind as this isn’t something I’m very familiar with so I’ll print it out and have a good read. I’m shocked that the auto install file is wrong because that came from ford and I haven’t edited it myself.

Right I think I’ve got it, I’ll post screenshots of my USB before proceeding so you can check they are correct if that’s ok?

@F150Chief Hi, thank you so much for the detailed info, I’m just downloading the files now. Is item 3 in the first autoinstall file correct? Within the autoinstall file item 3 is:

Item3 = JR3T-14G423-CB_1548263512000.TAR.GZ
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-CB_1548263512000.TAR.GZ

But the file you linked to was:

Gracenote: JR3T-14G423-AB 711Mb Sync3 v3.0.17024 1.1.1.1127 (EU-0010) (23.08.2016)

I just want to make sure I’m shoving the right files into my Sync!

And does it matter that in the 1st autoinstall file it says [SYNCGen3.0_3.0.20204_PRODUCT] and in the 2nd autoinstall file it says [SYNCGen3.0_3.2.22023]

See these images below for how I have the install files prepared (ignore the root directory as it’s just on my desktop for now, it will obviously go on my USB stick):

Install 1st: 01 | Pete Ford | Flickr

Install 2nd: 02 | Pete Ford | Flickr

I’m just not quite sure which file is correct in the 1st autoinstall file, AB or CB?

I can’t answer this so will let F150 answer but

No it doesn’t matter

1 Like

That’s great thanks, that clears up part of my query. I’ll hang fire for @F150Chief before I go anywhere near the vehicle with my USB stick. It’s 16:30 here at the minute and I’m not planning on messing with it this evening so I’m no immediate rush.

Same here :slight_smile: F150 is NA so might be a bit before he replies

1 Like

Yeah I figured he’d be in the U.S. somewhere as you don’t see many F150’s in the U.K. :sunglasses:

That should be -AB, sorry. I’m in the US, so sometimes my brain can’t think on the left side of the road… Here is the corrected file:
autoinstall.lst (424 Bytes)

The first install is for the Sync app, version 3.0.20204.
The second install is for the nav package, version 3.2.22023.
This is just how Ford formats the packages and I find it useful to identify the packages correctly, that’s all. It does not matter for the actual installation.

The pics look correct, but use the new autoinstall above here for the first installation, it has the correct GN file listed. Download the -AB file and replace the -CB file.

1 Like

@F150Chief Haha perfect thank you!! :+1:t2: I’ll give the install a go in Saturday morning when I know I have the time required.

@F150Chief So this is how my two install files look now, you happy with that?

Part One: Install First | Pete Ford | Flickr
Part Two: Install Second | Pete Ford | Flickr

Again, thank you :smiley:

Sorry for the delay, those should work…

1 Like

@F150Chief Great thank you, I’ll get them installed Saturday (if all goes well) and let you know how it went :sunglasses:

@F150Chief I decided to have a go at this today to get a head start in case there were any problems (Spoiler alert, it’s not working). First part of the install seemed to go OK but the message that pops up saying to remove the USB stick only popped up for a second then the system rebooted before I had a chance to remove the USB stick so I think I pulled it out just as the system started trying to install it again after it rebooted. So I then did the master reset and tried to install the maps but as soon as I inserted the USB stick I got BGMAP_ERR01 which after a quick Google possibly means that the USB stick was removed too early on the previous update which would make sense considering what had just happened.

So I started over and went back to the software update and this time managed to pull the USB stick out when the pop up told me to, I then locked the van and left it 10 mins, then went back and started it again, let it boot boot for 5 mins and done the master reset, then I inserted the USB stick with the map update on and…

BGMAP_ERR01 again??

This is the autoinstall file for the maps as it is currently on the USB stick:
autoinstall.lst (412 Bytes)

And this is inside the SyncMyRide folder: Help | Pete Ford | Flickr

So do you know what’s going wrong? The pop up with the BGMAP_ERR01 also says that I should download the maps again, I don’t think that’s the problem though becuase if I download them again they are just going to be the exact same files again.

So as it stands I’m no further forward but nothing is actually broken and I’m back to where I was initially with, the system is still extremely laggy (10 secs per button press) unless I have a USB inserted trying to do an install (Interrogator works fine for this purpose) in which case there is no lag at all.

Hopefully you’ll spot some kind of issue with my autoinstall file or something and it’ll be an easy fix. I’m not sure if the issue is with the first part of the install or the second part? I’m leaning towards the second part as currently the all the software side of things seems to be updated and working (allbeit lagging really bad as mentioned above).

Here is the latest interrogator file which was created after the failed map install today:
Sync_LW3D00F8_WF0RXXWPGRHM78267.xml (10.3 KB)

Also wondering if this will work as maybe I messed something up when I initially pulled the USB stick out too early? Not tried it yet but will give it a go tomorrow after work if you think it’s worth it unless you spot something else wrong somewhere in the meantime: How to Fix Ford Sync Map Update Failure Error BGMAP_ERR01 - YouTube

This is what is installed on the APIM:

JR3T-14G381-AX
JR3T-14G391-AE
JR3T-14G423-AB
HB5T-14G421-BD
JR3T-14G422-BF
HB5T-14G424-BD

Which is exactly the same as before. But I think I see what may be happening, the APIM is running out of space to process the map and nav_voice files together. This would require about 24GB processing these together. None of the files have been installed, which is a good indication.

EU F11 Map: JR3T-14G421-BH 15Gb Sync3 v3.2.22023-Pre18.5 EU.2.21 (10.05.2021, F11)
EU F11 Nav Voice: JR3T-14G422-BG 8.0Gb Sync3 v3.2.20346-Pre18.5 EU, Nav Data version: 1000. Packaged on: 20220104
Map License:JR3T-14G424-BH JR3T-14G424-BH EU 2.21 (F11)

In this autoinstall.lst file below, I have split the installation of the maps and nav_voice with a reboot to clear temp files and swap the map partitions. Do not remove the USB as the unit will reboot after the map file is installed, then install the nav_voice file. You will then get a message to remove the USB after that is finished. See if this works.

Also, the video has good advice, definitely do a master reset before trying this, and then reboot the APIM once it is finished with that. I don’t know if you have to reboot twice…This is just clearing temp files to free storage space. If you want to see what the validity of rebooting the APIM twice actually is, after the first reboot, run the Interrogator, then after the second reboot, run it again. Make sure you copy the xml file off the USB as the second time will overwrite it. Compare the storage between the 2 files. If they are the same, then the second reboot is not doing anything.

autoinstall.lst (485 Bytes)

1 Like

@F150Chief amazing thank you, I’m just about to head to work but I should have time after work to give it a go so I’ll report back when I have some info.

@F150Chief Success! (I think)

I think it’s sorted, or at least very close to being sorted. I kept a log of what was happening with it today, think it may have got stuck in a loop at some point (you’ll see where):

Started engine
Waited 5 mins
Master reset
Waited 5 mins
Hard reboot
Waited 5 mins
Hard reboot
Waited 5 mins
Inserted USB with new autoinstall file

Then got a message stating that a map software update has been detected which will take over an hour to complete so do I want to continue (haven’t seen this message at all before even when updating the Sync software)

Pressed yes
Got the Updating System Software message

Waited 45mins

Key cycle message flashed up very quickly and the system instantly rebooted. (Reboot #1)

After the reboot the Installation in progress, please keep the USB in the system and engine running message appeared

I closed the message

I didn’t touch anything for another 28mins

The You may now remove the USB message appeared but instantly rebooted so I left USB inserted (Reboot #2)

Installation complete message popped up

Installation in progress messge popped up

Map update detected message popped up

(All 3 pop ups happened very fast so no time to do anything before the next one appeared)

Press next

Press yes

Closed the pop up window

Installation in progress message, leave USB inserted.

Updating System Software message

Waited another 30 minutes

Key cycle message, instant reboot (Reboot #3)

Installation in progress, please keep the USB inserted

Closed pop up

Updating System Software message

At this point I figure it’s stuck in a loop…

I can see the About Sync screen and could see that the maps have indeed updated to F11 but cannot see a version number for Gracenote so was hoping that that meant that Gracenote was currently updating and that everything was going ok Logic told me at most I should see 2-3 reboots so if I got any more then I’d be thinking it’s stuck in a loop so wasn’t exactly sure when it would be safe to just shut it down and pull the USB stick out because the ‘Installation Complete’ messages would only pop up for a brief second and the system would reboot and seemingly starts the whole process again by itself. My best guess is to whip it out next time I briefly saw the ‘Remove USB’ message flash up quickly while it’s rebooting because I assumed during the reboot it won’t actually be transferring data from the USB or doing any installing. So that’s what I did.

Next time I saw that message I pulled it out while it was rebooting

Installation Complete message

Waited 15 mins

Master reset (Rebooted)

Installation in progress, do not remove USB message (Even though USB has already been removed)

Shut engine off and locked vehicle

Waited 15 mins

Unlocked the vehicle and started the engine (still no USB stick inserted)

Installation In Progress message popped up (still no USB stick inserted)

Map version = F11

Gracenote version = still not visible??

Lag = GONE!!! (Result!!!)

Quick drive, Nav worked and didn’t lag (Amazing!)

Locked the vehicle

Waited 2 mins

Unlocked and started it again

This time did NOT see the Installation in Progress message

Gracenote still not showing a version number so ran the Interrogator:

Sync_LW3D00F8_WF0RXXWPGRHM78267.xml (10.1 KB)

No idea how to read the log files so couldn’t tell you what’s been installed and what hasn’t. Wondering whether Gracenote hasn’t installed properly maybe which is why I don’t see a version number next to it anymore like I used to? If that’s the case should I be installing that again seperately? Or do I just leave it all well alone now the maps are up to date and everything seems to be working properly?

You wouldn’t beleive how grateful I am for your help so far as I’ve been blindly hacking away at this for weeks and weeks and didn’t have anywhere to get actual knowledgeable help from. My last resort was the van already being booked in at the used car place I bought it from next week and leaving it with them and their auto electrical guy to have a stab at it and no disrespect to them but there is no way they would have figured out what was happening like you did and then come up with the workaround of splitting the installation up like you did so you’ve most definitely saved me a whole lot of hassle and headaches!!

OK, you have the following installed:
JR3T-14G381-AX
JR3T-14G391-AE
JR3T-14G422-BG
JR3T-14G424-BH
HB5T-14G421-BD

This is the storage:

<d2p1:PartitionHealth type=“/fs/usb0/” total=“29G” available=“29G”/>
<d2p1:PartitionHealth type=“/fs/tmpfs/” total=“128M” available=“126M”/>
<d2p1:PartitionHealth type=“/fs/sd/MAP/” total=“19G” available=“28M”/>
<d2p1:PartitionHealth type=“/fs/Nuance/” total=“18G” available=“48M”/>
<d2p1:PartitionHealth type=“/fs/Nuance/” total=“1.9G” available=“7.6M”/>
<d2p1:PartitionHealth type=“/fs/rwdata/” total=“1024M” available=“718M”/>
<d2p1:PartitionHealth type=“/fs/mp/” total=“1024M” available=“40M”/>
<d2p1:PartitionHealth type=“/fs/images/” total=“55G” available=“14G”/>

The storage looks fine now.

The APIM looks much better now as far as files. Only 1 map partition as it should be (there were 2 before), and the system and voice files are present. Gracenote is missing, but we can install it separately. It looks like you may have had a corrupt installation of the GN file.

This tutorial is for Sync 3.4 versions, but it is the same process for Sync 3.0:
Tutorial: No Gracenotes After Sync 3.4 Installation. Manual Installation Instructions - Ford / Guides - CyanLabs Official Community

Here is an autoinstall file for the GN file.
autoinstall.lst (140 Bytes)

Same drill, place the file in the SyncMyRide folder and the autoinstall file in the USB root.

Unfortunately, the APIM is still listing the older F10 map file, but you say the Sync is reporting F11. This is entirely possible that the file is actually correct, but the reporting is not. I have seen this before with an older NA map package.
You can check the IVSU version in the test menu on the APIM under bezel diagnostics.
Hold ‘’'Eject & Seek -->> ‘’ or hold ‘’'FF>> (on the steering wheel) & Seek -->> ‘’
End audio test.
Go to Bezel Diagnostics/APIM.
Go to IVSU Versions.
This will list the files installed.

Glad to help. We all learn the hard way; the easy way is just playing!

1 Like