Sync3 stuck on "please insert usb" screen

I just purchased a SanDisk Ultra 3.0 64GB flash drive. Going to redownload on this and check the results.
It is in MBR and exFAT and formatted

Great, that will clear things up.
Also, if you are using the automated method, you won’t have to download anything.
Syn3updater will just create and validate the usb, so it should be a quick process, since syn3updater already downloaded the files in the previous runs.

Still nothing with the new usb stick. Tried it in both ports for a few minutes a piece with no change. Restarting sync between each try.

Sorry to hear that didn’t work.
Sadly, things keep pointing to a failing USB hub.
I mean, you tried 4 pendrives now (1 Lexar which is at least branded, and Sandisk which is a known a quality brand).

About the USB ports on your vehicle: are they lighted?
If you connect your phone, does it charge?.

They are lighted and phone does charge, even now. I used android auto through usb quite often. The only strange thing about the usb hub was one of the pen drives would light up solid red in the bottom port and blink red in the top port whilst trying to do this update.

1 Like

Oh man, it’s not making things easy.
Try this:

• power off the unit / reset it once again
  • start the unit up
  • once the message appears, connect your phone to a port
  • once it starts charging (hence, the USB has power), disconnect it and connect the sandisk pendrive to that port

Does the unit do anything?.

About the red flashing thing, I’m not sure what to make of that since I’m not familiar with your vehicle.

A side note: a charging phone does not equal to data transfer. So if the phone starts charging it means only that, that the port has power transfer capability… But a device as an USB pendrive, also requires data transfer.

About the APIM (sync3 unit), it’s recoverable as long as you can complete the process, nothing is bricked here.

1 Like

The red light was referring to the internal light of the usb stick I was previously using.
Just got done attempting the usb cable plugged in to charge phone and removing to insert SanDisk stick.
I found that the bottom port will charge the phone however the top port does not.
Could this indicate anything?

Thank you for the fast responses its much appreciated

As far as I know, the USB hub is one module that powers and enables multiple USB ports… So if one port is failing, it could indicate some issue with the module itself, or with the cabling at least.

Lets see if anyone else has something to add on the topic, since I’m running out of ideas.

I went to the Ford service center and ordered a new usb hub today, should be in Wednesday. Ill follow up if it works.
When I pulled the current one out of the console the plastic casing was already unclipped which leads me to believe the previous owner had issues as well, not likely installed in the vehicle like that from the factory because it has 4 inspection marks on it.

Thank you for the update, we will wait for your feedback once you get the module replaced.

I’m just passing by to see if you have any update from your side.
Were you able to complete the process once the hub was replaced?.

Part still hasnt arrived. They said it could be delivered today.

The part still hasn’t arrived and they don’t seem to know why. I did however find a thread from Feb 2021 where user OldN00b was having the same issue. They downloaded the same update only without maps and it worked. Im assuming they got a different usb module after that, downgraded to 3.3 and re-upgraded to 3.4 with maps and it worked. Does this sound like a good idea for now just to get it back up and running until the part comes in?

Do you have a link for that thread?.

You can try installing Sync3 alone (no maps), so that you will be able to listen to music or user another navigation map. You can add maps later, or do all over again (recommended based on the time it takes to install only maps).

If you ask me, it’s worth trying since your unit is not operative.
But if it works, I’m completely lost as to why it has failed until now.
Because here’s the thing: the process is not even starting, so what difference would it make to process less packages?. I could understand the process failing at the middle, lets say (because of thermal or voltage issues on a faulty hub).

But not even starting?..

Anyways, try it, you have nothing to loose.

Thank you.

That’s EXACTLY what I suspected, you omitted some crucial information that’s on that thread. It’s not like the user said “oh, it failed” and right away created a new USB that worked.

No, the initial process failed AFTER 40 minutes, which I covered in my previous message. After that, nothing worked until the next day, surely because the unit went out of protection mode (thermal or voltage protection).
He happened to use a no-nav USB, but that’s irrelevant, since the process started.

What I’ve said before and the user told us in that thread makes sense, completely.
It was a faulty HUB.

Anyways, try it since you have nothing to loose, but it’s not the same scenario, not at all, since your process it not even starting (hence, the USB is not being accessed / recognized)

I had precisely the same problem with my 2017 F150 XLT going from 3.0 to 3.4 with mapping. Initially, It accepted the USB drive, did the quick first shut down and when it restarted it asked to insert the USB drive. It was still in - I hadn’t touched it. No matter what I did it remained on that screen asking for the drive. I tried 3 different drives - nothing. I couldn’t even tell I inserted them. Yes, it would still charge my phone. Tried all drives in both receptacles - nothing. No lights on the drives at all.

Finally, out of desperation I tried using a Samsung EVO Select (3) 64 gig micro sd card and a Card Reader. The reader was a Ugreen from Amazon - Amazon.com. With the card installed I plugged the reader in and IT WORKED!!! It ran both the Sync update to 3.4 and the map to the current version. Total loaded on the SD card was 13.6 gigs. My guess is it wasn’t the sd card that made the difference but rather the Reader.

I really hope this helps you. I know I was sweating bullets.

New USB module installed. Update completed as it was supposed to. Part # HC3Z-19A387-F

-Sandisk 3.0 64G flash drive- SYNC 3.4.22251 -2021 maps

For anyone getting the HC3Z 19A387 F replacement I had to take the usb module out of its housing and put it into my old one because the new one housing was too large. I had Ford order the part off my VIN number so this may happen to others.

Thank you all for the support.

Awesome, thank you for the update on the topic.
We are glad you were able to recover the unit, enjoy your upgraded system!, remember to master reset if you haven’t done so already.

Sadly, faulty HUBs are not that easy to troubleshoot, since it’s more common to see failing or bad USB pendrives. But, you got it working in the end.

Take care.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.