Updating Sync 3 APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

Yep.

The best part is the Sirius has been working great after enabling it in the AsBuilt :sweat_smile:

Itā€™s just Nav and some weirdness with the IPC that Iā€™m having trouble with.

You will need the proper firmware to fix the navā€¦

Forscan seems confused when I try and wonā€™t show me any available. Is there somewhere else I can get it from?

Yes, see your PM.

FORScan unfortunately does not give you the options like other programming software to look for other firmware outside of the normal Ford updates. But you can do it manually without issues.

Hey. Just for context, I have a 2017 Fusion with 2nd gen H series APIM, and Iā€™m trying to enable Auto Hold. Although Fusions never had that feature, same year MKZs (which share all the wiring and modules based on my Wiring Diagrams book) did ship with it, so I believe it should be possible to do that.

In MKZs, the autohold physical button is in the FCIM. Iā€™m trying to do the same through the APIM, which is how it works in 2018+ EU Ford Focus (MK4) - but those ship with Gen 3s and 4s as far as Iā€™m aware.

What Iā€™ve do so far:

• replaced whole ABS assembly with a ā€œmaxā€ version and enabled autohold through AsBuilt
  • updated firmware to a 2018.5 *-DA and enabled ā€œDriver Assist ā†’ Auto Holdā€ menu/switch through AsBuilt too
  • master reset

Iā€™m now at a point where Auto Hold is in the menu, but is greyed out. Iā€™ve read through this and previous discussions and saw multiple comments stating comments stating that some features require newer hardware APIM.

My question is, whatā€™s the hardware difference between a Gen 2 and Gen 3/4 APIM? Is it internal only or does it require other CAN buses to work? Will upgrading APIM hardware to K/L series solve my problems? Is there a chance that a newer calibration will fix that on my APIM?

I can see that my car doesnā€™t have HS4, so it possible that cars that do support toggling AutoHold on/off through Sync3 are doing that through HS4?

UPD: according to this spreadsheet only TCU communication is done through HS4, so it sounds like thatā€™s not it.

Sorry for lots of questions and thanks in advance.

H series APIM is a 1st Gen. I donā€™t think it will take a newer Calibration either. The H series modules are really difficult to work with and easily brick when updating calibrations.

HS4 Networks were not added until 2020+ and the Fusion never got it. I would have to look but I donā€™t think the MKZ got it either. The only thing they did was put the TCU on the HS4 for extra security reasons. You cannot upgrade to HS4 unless you want to replace most the modules in the car.

Yeah itā€™s 1gen, my bad.

But I donā€™t think itā€™s the HS4 that is the problem. Thereā€™s no reason they couldnā€™t have used HS3 for the same purposes. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m wondering if upgrading to a newer APIM will solve this problem.

Hello everyone, can anyone tell me what calibration file I need to update, now itā€™s like this

Can i try MY18.5 Firmware?

Hello F150Chief, can you help me to identify which version I can flash?
my APIM is like below

Hello, I have updated the APIM of my mk5 Sync 3 to 18.5, but the Calibration/Illumination file, 5U5T-14G379-BC.VBF, does not appear, even though I load it when updating the firmware. How to fix it ?

Hello.
Strange situation.
Today I was doing an APIM upgrade and during the upgrade an error appeared in the picture.

I have an ObdLink EX cable.
What could be the cause of the error?
Is the cable damaged?

I replaced the cable with STN1170 and on this cable the update apim was done without a problem.

I donā€™t recommend users to upgrade a G or H series APIM to MY18.5+ firmware, however, you can upgrade these to the latest firmware below. I you want to upgrade to the latest firmware, you may find the unit will ā€œbrickā€ and need to be restored. Below are links to the firmware versions and restore instructions.

APIM Firmware Production Releases - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

APIM Firmware Flash Rescue - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

This would be safe for the units.
3.0 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2017-Pre-2018.5, H thru Early J Series)
(Originally Found On 2017/Early 2018 Units That Ship with 2 USB Ports on Back)
Secondary Boot Loader: GB5T-14G376-AA
Strategy (F188): HB5T-14G374-CA
Calibration (F124): HB5T-14G375-DA or HB5T-14G375-FA (NAV) / HB5T-14G375-CA (NON-NAV)
ECU Configuration/Sound Profiles (F10A): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Configuration/Illumination Strategy (F16B): HB5T-14G379-BA

NOTE: This listing is representative of the production release files for North America. Use the Calibration File Region listing below to determine the proper -14G375- calibration file for your region.

Thanks Chief

Where can i download&ei the files?

Did you make a new vehicle profile after loading the new APIM firmware files?

If the unit is working fine, this is likely just a query issue or memory issue with the APIM. You could try reloading the flies. Also, you could try the rescue procedure below.

APIM Firmware Flash Rescue - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

See you PMā€¦

1 Like

Reload you OBDLink drivers.

Thanks again

Hello, thank you for your reply. Of course, I created a new vehicle profile.
Everything seems to be working fine, I havenā€™t noticed any problem. The only thing that bothers me is this empty box in F16B. I attach photos before the module update and during the update that has been uploaded. Maybe one of the files was wrong?