2013 F150 Sync 3 retrofit battery drain and a couple other issues

This is the one I purchased: SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 Upgrade Kit Fit for Ford Sync3 3.4 Carplay APIM NA222 USA STOCK | eBay

It claims to be genuine, but I trust that about as far as I could throw it. I will contact the seller but I expect them to not be helpful.

I’m not sure when you bought it, but you should look into Ebay’s customer care options as well if the seller does not accept the return…

Since you are NA based, consider contacting NaviUpgrade for sourcing proper hardware…
He’s also a forum member.

I’ve contacted the seller, I specifically chose a ‘US Seller’ incase we had issues, so we will see how it goes. I actually bought 2 kits from them when I purchased this one, but we haven’t had any issues with the kit I got for my mom’s 2014 Explorer. I’m tempted to see if I can get a snap of the sticker in on that one too, just out of curiosity. I tried googling the HP5T-14G371-EAG part number and it pretty much only returns results for upgrade kits. I searched Ford’s parts site and it returns a SYNC 3 APIM for a 2017 F150, but also lists the number as HP5Z14G371N. Is HP5T-14G371-EAG even a legitimate Ford part number?

You can double check our SYNC 3 APIM Hardware Database - CyanLabs , there are 2 listed there:

As you can see, they are not that common. If they are genuine or not, that’s a good question.
From the naming perspective, an H series APIM should not be from 2019, so unless Ford starting pushing some H series replacement units (which we are not aware of yet), that’s a sign to be suspicious.

In fact, the Ebay link I sent before it has a photo for your exact APIM as well, everything on the sticker is the same (except for the Ford logo), but the same strange font, numbers, everything is the same, even the manufacture date…

Lets see what others have to say, but I do not trust that APIM.

uhhhhhh, i just scanned the 2D code on the label and it says “.”

Yea, definitely fake.

Disclaimer, I don’t recommend people scan random/unknown 2D codes unless you know what you are doing.

1 Like

Can you create and run the interrogator log against the unit?.
If so, please share the resulting .xml file (redact the VIN from the file’s name and contents, you can open it with any text editor such as notepad).

I’ve searched for that APIM in our forum, and there are 2 hits: one is this thread, the other one is this: 2014 Escape with 2018 APIM Doesn't Save Settings .
That thread also has a picture for “your” APIM with the exact same information, but a different QR code…

It may be a replacement unit for the China market, BUT I still do not trust it…
In fact, I’m asking for the interrogator log because the one posted in the thread previously mentioned does not read that APIM model back…

So I’m curious to see what yours will return…

Yea I totally agree it’s fake. I could make a huge list telling all the clues but I don’t want them to see anything and fix them.

Also the H series APIMs are really old and a pain in the a$$.

1 Like

That’s a good idea, I will edit my previous message, just in case…

Absolutely counterfeit.

If you bought this thru EBAY or AMAZON, please report it to them so they can ban the seller. They will help you get your money back regardless of the seller’s response.

Ran the interrogator tool and the part number reported doesn’t even match the sticker.

Sync_HXAV5U73.xml (11.0 KB)

Thanks for running the interrogator, it’s not presenting itself as the other one from the other thread…
So these APIMs are Pandora Boxes…

OK, I’m also gonna yank the APIM out of my Mom’s car on Tuesday and check the label on it to see if it is also counterfeit (both were bought from the same seller, but the one in mom’s car hasn’t shown any issues, at least not yet)

Before removing it, I would run the interrogator on that unit as well.

Can you tell if it is counterfeit just from the interrogator file?
Sync_VX2A103C.xml (11.0 KB)

Also, Is the APIM the main concern or are the Displays counterfeit as well? Am I likely to be OK just replacing the APIM?

I will review the file later, but no, I won’t be able to tell from the interrogator log if the unit is fake. I asked you to do that because once you get access to the sticker you will be able to double check what the sticker says and what the APIM says. There can be discrepancies between them, but they are different and expected discrepancies than the ones your previous APIM is showing.

About the screen, it does not really matter. Screens are “dummy” and just display stuff, they are peripherals… Can there be fake?, surely yes… Have we seen ones?, no… So if there are fake screens they are not causing issues for users to report…

That APIM is from an older Fusion, likely 2016.

Here is the label on the other module. Question, Is the “LPSS0815” supposed to be a serial number? I thought that was where the SN went on the stickers, in which case I got 2 with the same SN :astonished: [This is my Shocked face]

Totally fake! Pathetically fake at that! One of the worst ones I have seen.

2 Likes

Fake. Based on the date on the sticker if you reformatted that unit it would brick. Serial number does not agree with the model number sequence.

Well I contacted the seller and after I pointed out the APIMs were counterfeit they stopped responding (at least they haven’t for a couple days). Unfortunately, it has been more than 60 days so there is no way to leave feedback on the seller and it is beyond the eBay buyer protection window. I can’t even contact eBay about the order at all. I did write a review for item stating it was counterfeit so we’ll see if anything comes of it. Since the one in the Explorer seems to be working, I will leave it in there. I definitely need to acquire a different APIM for the F150 though. Is there any reason I can’t just pickup a used or salvage yard APIM rather than an expensive ‘retrofit’ APIM since the rest of the conversion is complete (I looked at NaviUpgrade but the $650 price for just an APIM is too steep for us right now)? I can dump the VIN and Config in with Forscan. Is there a specific preferred part number I should look for?