2016 Mustang, Sync 3.0, Apple Carplay, and HU5T-14F014-AD USB Hub

Hi all new member here. I have read through a few posts on here trying to trouble shoot Sync & Apple Carplay on my 2016 GT350 (mustang).

I have updated sync 3 to 3.0 build 20204 and purchased a USB hub from my dealer. The USB hub with part number HU5Z-19A387-C was listed in the dealer’s computer as an upgrade for Apple Carplay for a 2016 mustang. However, the part that arrived has an interchange number of HU5T-14F014-AD, which I notice is not on the compatibility chart floating around on this forum. It recognizes that a phone is connected, but will not launch Carplay. Out of curiosity, I ordered HU5Z-19A387-C a second time from a second dealer and again received HU5T-14F014-AD.

Does anyone know why HU5T-14F014-AD seems to be incompatible, and why my local Ford dealers have this listed as a compatible part if it’s not actually compatible? Additionally I spent a few hours on the phone with Ford Customer support, who weren’t able to provide any meaningful insight, and my local service department is clueless.

Thanks for your help!

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 1.0.15139

New SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

1 Like

Hello.

I did a quick search about that part number, and I found this thread → "USB Hubs Not Supported" message after installing new USB hub in console

Long story short: he was not able to activate CarPlay with that part number.
So if you can, try getting a refund and an old part number.

Ford factory parts do not end with a Z on the 4th digit. All the replacement parts end with Z. Any part aside from the factory parts your receiving should have a Z as the 4th digit.

This is kind of confusing why/how they would send you a factory line part unless it was a used part.

Yeah I saw that thread. The poster said he was going to take the vehicle to the dealer but never posted an update, so was the dealer able to get HU5T-14F014-AD to work?

The local parts departments have HU5Z-19A387-C listed as an upgrade for the 2016 mustang, which allows the vehicle to interface with Sync and launch Apple CarPlay. Unfortunately all my local dealers seem to be able to order is a part with HU5T-14F014-AD on the label. I even went as far as finding a nearby dealer that allegedly had HU5Z-19A387-B, an older part, in stock. Low and behold, it was another HU5T-14F014-AD!!!

I guess I’ll have to resort to eBay to buy an older part with an acceptable interchange number, but it is very odd that I can’t buy a working OEM part directly from any of my local dealers…

This is what shows up when I order from my local dealers:

From the Info section on this site…

Media Hub, CarPlay Compatible - 2015-2020 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3 - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

HU5Z-19A387- *
HU5Z-19A387-A (BLUE BACKLIGHTING) Ford (Wide 1 USB-A Port, w/Pass Through)
HU5Z-19A387-B (BLUE BACKLIGHTING) Ford (Wide 1 USB-A Port, w/Pass Through)
HU5Z-19A387-C (BLUE BACKLIGHTING) Ford (Wide 1 USB-A Port, w/Pass Through)
Interchange Part Number:
HU5T-14F014-AA, HU5T-14F014-AB, HU5T-14F014-AC, HU5T-14F014-AD, HU5Z-14F014-BB
2016-2019 Ford Mustang
2016-2019 Ford Focus
2016-2019 Ford Explorer
2016-2017 Ford Transit

Thanks all for your replies. I figured out the solution and just wanted post incase anyone else comes across this issue.

I purchased a 2016 GT350 with 1,000 miles on it. The owner rarely drove it and never bothered to update Sync to the latest firmware.

The issue was actually caused when updating Sync 3 from version 1.0 to 3.0, which apparently can’t be done. You must first install an intermediate version such as 2.2, the files for which can be found on various forums. You can then update to version 3.0. The USB hub i purchased from my dealer now launches Apple CarPlay.

FYI - There is a thread on this website that illustrates this scenario and the procedure to fix it. This is due the a disc overlay that Ford used on early models of Sync 3. Updating to Sync 3.0 version 2.2.17xxx.

However, the Carplay issue is not caused by that. Carplay was not originally included in Sync 3 until version 2.2.18xxx.

Correct, but it caused several issues, one of which being failure to launch CarPlay. I stumbled upon it because I was also receiving a “Voice Recognition Not Ready” error message. After performing the intermediate installation, and then re-installing 3.0 build 20204, CarPlay now launches. Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.