Newer ACMs compatible with APIM JR3T-14G371-CHA

They added the HS4 to the GWM. This ran from the GWM to the APIM and the TCU. When they did this they added the Ford Connect to it all on the HS4 network. Prior to this it was all on the HS3 network.

You can add the HS4 network but it will not work, I mean it will work if you have the right modules. You would need to basically replace almost every module in the Rig. The reason is because they updated all the calibrations with different communication paths through the TCU to accommodation the new network. The only thing you would gain by doing this is the Ford Connect option. It really does not add much.

Ford added the new network to accommodate more network traffic and implement more security.

Thanks for the info. Looks like from the pinout diagrams, all I need to add is one pair of wires between the ACM and APIM. Other than the lack of CAN HS4 all the other connections will be used with the new APIM/ACM and I should not lose any functionality but gain the extra SiriusXM channels I have been wanting.

Now if my wife will let me have the Expedition lomg enough to work on it.

That is correct. If you have a high enough calibration level on your APIM you also get the Rear seat child reminder. More annoying than worth the trouble.

You can turn it off in the asbuilt. I like it because I haul items in the back on the floor, so it’s kind of a reminder.

My daughter has a 2022 Bronco Sport with Sync 3.4.22251 and there is a setting in one of the Sync 3 menus that turns it off.

Oh I know, My wife asked me to turn that off first thing! LOL

It will stay off for about 6 months and then you will get a message about turning it back on. If you turn it off in the asbuilt it’s off for good.

Gotcha

Just to let yall know, I am a Ford Tech and can get diagrams and procedures if needed. Don’t pay money for this stuff. I will just need a VIN.

BLUF: This isn’t an open invite for a tidal wave of requests. I am happy to do it to help the community, just dont abuse it.

1 Like

We appreciate the help. Thanks.

1 Like

@F150Chief please check if this sounds correct.
So based on bill32399 pinouts for the Expedition and the ones you provided for the F150, it looks like I should be connecting:
pin 27 APIM to Pin 5 ACM VMEF7
pin 28 APIM to Pin 4 ACM VMEF8

Which appears to be different than the F150. It looks like I do not have the VMEG circuits to connect.

That is the same as what he told you. If you look at the pic he sent that shows them written down you will see they are the same. These pins will be the same on all Sync 3 units.

The labels might be slightly different but the pins will be the same.

Well yes and no. Pin to pin connections are similar but between your diagram and his those pins describe different circuits.

I would expect interchangeability but I wonder of we are just lucky the pin to pin connections are similar.

Part 1 of my conversion is complete. 2020 Edge ACM (LT4T-18D818-CC), Part 2 is complete as I have a donor harness that I was able to salvage from work, so I have the connectors, and pins that I will need. now I am just working on the APIM and I may have that locked down, but not 100% sure at this moment
My biggest concern is getting it wired correctly, but with the help of the fine folks here I should be ok.

My concern is that you may need to match have a matching ACM/APIM combination for this upgrade to work. When looking at the the diagrams between the 2019 F150 and the 2020 Expedition, I do not believe that the 2019 F150 ACM would work with the 2020 Expedition APIM because pins 4 and 5 in the C240A connector on that ACM which controls the blue tooth multimedia gateway module would be connected to the pins that control the audio head unit on the APIM and pins 6 and 19 in the C240B connector on that ACM which controls the audio head unit would be connected to the satellite digital radio link on the APIM.

Well if it helps my ACM is out of a 2021 F150 and it’s working fine in my 18 Expedition.

Was it a direct plug in save for the extra pair of wires?

I was looking for the pinouts to see if it was similar to the 2020 Expedition or the 2019 F150 and all I can find so far are the ones with the squarish connectors.

Yes, Direct plug and play in my case and I had to add the 2 wires. I had maybe 1 or 2 AB changes in the APIM for the 360L service and that was it.

That is good and makes me curious. I do appreciate you humoring me about this line of thought. Would you happen to know your model numbers of your APIM and ACM so I can research my line of thinking.

I know my APIM is an L series. I would have to look tomorrow but I thought my ACM was an K or L series. I have lots of extra APIM’s and ACM’s laying around so I get confused on what I have.