Refer to this link for the most up to date FAQ
Old FAQ for archival purposes
- Changing Region
- Features - Adding, Removing & Broken Features
- Common Issues/Errors
- Error Messages/Install Errors
1. Changing Region
- CyanLabs does not support change of region. EU region required 64GB APIMs, the majority of non-EU APIMs are 32GB or 8GB.
- There is some detail on how to put EU maps on US vehicles in the following topic, but the process is not supported and no advice will be provided: Tutorial: Current EU Maps Installation on US Imported Vehicles - Ford / Guides - CyanLabs Official Community
2. Features - Adding, Removing & Broken Features
- See tutorial by F150Chief: Tutorial: No Gracenotes After Sync 3.4 Installation. Manual Installation Instructions - Ford / Guides - CyanLabs Official Community
Updating APIM Calibration (enable Radio Logos/Calm Screen):
- See tutorial by Louage: Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files) - Ford / Guides - CyanLabs Official Community
Enabling Park Assist after Upgrading to Sync3
- See tutorial by Louage: Enabling Park Assist in Sync 3 (For those that have done a Sync 2 > Sync 3 Upgrade) - Ford / Guides - CyanLabs Official Community
- See tutorial by F150Chief: Tutorial: Removal of Gracenotes - Ford / Guides - CyanLabs Official Community
Navigation instructions in instrument cluster is missing
- Apple Carplay is not supported in any version
- Android Auto is only supported in 3.4+
- Feature must be enabled in IPC. If the feature does not work for factory navigation, then the navigation repeater option for your vehicle in the IPC module must be activated, this is different for each vehicle, and not available for all models.
- There is an AsBuilt setting for ‘navigation repeater format’ which can be changed between ‘Intel’ and ‘Motorola’ format - it is worth swapping this using ForScan.
Climate Controls are reversed/not working
- Climate controls do not work correctly on the Focus mk3/3.5, Kuga/Escape and other older vehicles.
- This can include reversed temperature controls, non-functioning A/C or recirculation functions.
- This is a legacy hardware issue and will not be fixed. Vehicles of this age have the climate controls on screen disabled from factory.
SiriusXM logos missing
Radio Logos (NON SiriusXM) are missing (EU)
- Perform a master reset of the APIM
- Upgrade to 3.4.20196+ - lower versions require an APIM calibration upgrade to enable
- DAB radio logos are stored in the APIM, not all stations are covered. If only one station is not working the database may be missing the station - it is not possible to manually add images.
Radio Logos (NON SiriusXM) are missing (US)
- FM radio logos in the US are not supported. Only HD Radio stations support logos.
Can I set my presets as radio logos (Cover Flow style as seen in 2020 vehicles)?
- This required a newer 2020 ACM (radio module) to be installed, it is not possible just to enable this function.
- See 2020 APIM/Screen and 2020 ACM Compatibility - Ford / Help & Support - CyanLabs Official Community
- See Satellite radio screen - “cover flow” style - Ford / Help & Support - CyanLabs Official Community
Clock does not stay set/resets to 00:00
- APIM master clock AsBuilt setting may need amending. Depending on your vehicle model this needs to be set to either APIM, BCM or IPC. If the correct setting for your specific model is not known, try the alternatives and perform a master reset to determine which works correctly.
Heated seats icons are missing after upgrade to 3.4.20196+
- Known issue, see 3.4.19101 to 20196 lost heated seats on home screen - Ford / Help & Support - CyanLabs Official Community
Screen is extremely dark
- If you are having issues with the screen being extremely dark:
- In ForScan set the APIM As-Built 7D0-01-01: xBxx-xx
- In UCDS set the APIM DE00 > “Illumination Strategy” to FOE
Screen isn’t turning off when car powered off
- If you are having issues where the APIM doesn’t turn off after the car ignition is off and door opened:
- In ForScan set the APIM As-Built 7D0-06-01: x1xx-xx
- In UCDS set the APIM DEO5 > “illumination Gateway” to C1MCA
3. Common Issues/errors
Interrogator / Log file generation
- See Tutorial: APIM Interrogator Utility/Create Interrogator Log - Ford / Guides - CyanLabs Official Community
Non-NAV APIM failing to upgrade to a newer version (LST/INSTL errors)
- Due to restricted filesystem space you may not be able to upgrade to a newer version of Sync3. See the tutorial by F150Chief: Tutorial: Sync 3.4 NON-NAV APIM: Failure to Update to Newer Version Sync 3.4 - Ford / Guides - CyanLabs Official Community
Missing/invalid error during USB creation process
- This is normal behaviour - it means the required file is missing from your computer and needs to be downloaded.
Common issues when using a Mac
- There is not a Mac OS version of the CyanLabs application available, therefore the manual method on the CyanLabs site must be used, though it is highly recommended to complete the process on a Windows PC using the Syn3 Updater app.
- When creating reformat.lst and autoinstall.lst files, the Mac text editor tends to change the format from the required ‘.LST’ filename. Using the ‘Textedit’ appication in raw mode is a good workaround.
4. Error Messages/Installation Errors
Navigation Failure error message
- Perform a master reset
- If the vehicle has undergone a conversion from Sync2 > Sync3 hardware, cheap GPS antenna commonly cause this fault. Replace it with a better quality (e.g. OEM) antenna.
- If you have changed region, incorrectly set region causes this error. Install the correct map set or change the region code in the asbuilt.
Red Screen With Error At Around 7-8 Minutes.
- Usually as you are trying to install maps on a non-navigation APIM. Recreate the USB without maps.
- There is an error in the autoinstall.lst / reformat.lst file, re-create it/check formatting/ensure it is named correctly.
- If using a Mac, see ‘Common issues using a Mac’ thread.
INSTL_ERR11 – APPS_UPDATE_PART_ERROR
- The ‘current version’ is set incorrectly in the Syn3 Updater app - you have likely entered your desired version (e.g. 3.4.20196) instead of your presently installed version (e.g. 3.0.19205).
- Recreate the USB using the Syn3 Updater app using the correct current version.
INSTL_ERR12 - DIR_CREATION_ERROR
- This is thought to be a hardware failure in the APIM. Try performing a master reset and reinsert the USB stick. If the error persists, the APIM (Sync3) hardware module may need to be replaced in your vehicle.
LST_ERR04 – Error is LST_ERR_NO_SECTION
- Bad updates files, re-create the USB using the Syn3 Updater utility
- You are attempting to use Sync2 files on a Sync3 APIM.
LST_ERR05 - LST_PKG_FILE_NOT_FOUND
- Either a typo in the autoinstall.lst/reformat.lst files, or the .tar.gz file in the ‘SyncMyRide’ folder is missing/corrupt.
- If using the Syn3 Updater app, consider using an alternative USB drive and re-run the process.
LST_ERR06 – LST_ERR_MALICIOUS_CHAR
- Remove spaces/bad characters in autoinstall.lst and reformat.lst files.
- Remove spaces/bad characters in file names of files/folders on the USB update stick.
LST_ERR07 – LST_ERR_NO_OPEN1_PARAM
- Autoinstall.lst or reformat.lst files have extra spaces, line breaks or similar. Check with a text editor and remove the extra formatting.
- Autoinstall.lst and reformat.lst files must be in the root of the USB drive, NOT within the SyncMyRide folder.
LST_ERR08 – LST_ERR_OPEN_LIMIT_EXCEEDED
- You can only have 10 items in the autoinstall.lst, remove extras.
PKG_ERR03- PKG_UNTAR_FAILURE (after a few seconds, stuck at red screen)
- Missing/incorrectly formatted reformat.lst file. Re-create the USB, or check for errors in reformat.lst using the manual tutorial.
PKG_ERR04 – PKG_REVOKED (Package has been blacklisted)
- One of the packages you are trying to install has been blacklisted on the version you are presently using.
- The most common time this happens is when trying to use the reformat utility. Downgrade your apps version to 3.4.19101 or lower, or use the ‘downgrade’ functionality of the Syn3 Updater, then re-run reformat utility.
Update does not do anything when USB is installed
- The ‘current’ version has been set incorrectly - re-create the USB with the correct ‘current’ configuration set
- You have incorrectly set ‘force autoinstall’ - recreate the USB stick without autoinstall forced (reformat mode is required)
Full List of Error Messages
NAV Installation Errors
NAVVOICE_ERR01 – Error is NAV_VOICE_ERROR
BGMAP_ERR01 – Error is BGMAP_ERROR
LIC_ERR01 – Error is MAP_LICENSE_MISMATCH_ERROR
LIC_ERR02 – Error is LICENSE_READING_ERROR
Sync Installation Errors
INSTL_ERR03 – Error is SCRIPT_PERMISSION_CHANGE_ERROR
INSTL_ERR04 – Error is SCRIPT_FILE_NOT_PRESENT_ERROR
INSTL_ERR05 – Error is POPUP_UTILITY_EXECUTION_ERROR
INSTL_ERR06 – Error is IMAGE_MOVING_ERROR
INSTL_ERR07 – Error is WRITING_NAV_LICENSE_TO_DPS_ERROR
INSTL_ERR08 – Error is APPS_TOGGLE_ERROR
INSTL_ERR09 – Error is IMAGE_TOGGLE_ERROR
INSTL_ERR10 – Error is APPS_UPDATE_BOOT_ERROR
INSTL_ERR11 – Error is APPS_UPDATE_PART_ERROR
INSTL_ERR12 – Error is DIR_CREATION_ERROR
INSTL_ERR13 – Error is UNMOUNT_ERROR
INSTL_ERR14 – Error is ACTIVATION_PENDING_ERROR
INSTL_ERR15 – Error is UNABLE_TO_FIND_PASSIVE_PARTITION_ERROR
LST File Errors
LST_ERR03 – Error is LST_ERR_NO_APPROPRIATE_SECTION (Missing or improperly formatted arguments in autoinstall.lst)
LST_ERR04 – Error is LST_ERR_NO_SECTION (Missing or improperly formatted arguments in autoinstall.lst)
LST_ERR05 – Error is LST_PKG_FILE_NOT_FOUND (File naming inconsistent in autoinstall.lst file)
LST_ERR06 – Error is LST_ERR_MALICIOUS_CHAR (Fix: Make sure there are no spaces in filenames or other strange characters in the autoinstall.lst file)
LST_ERR07 – Error is LST_ERR_NO_OPEN1_PARAM (Missing or improperly formatted arguments in autoinstall.lst)
LST_ERR08 – Error is LST_ERR_OPEN_LIMIT_EXCEEDED (Fix: you can only have 10 items in the autoinstall.lst, remove extras)
VER_ERR01 – Error is VER_UNABLE_TO_FIND_VER_FILE
VER_ERR02 – Error is VER_FPN_EMPTY
VER_ERR03 – Error is VER_ERR_PARSE_VER_INF
VER_ERR04 – Error is VER_FILENAME_EMPTY
VER_ERR05 – Error is VER_VIN_MISMATCH
VER_ERR06 – Error is VER_ESN_MISMATCH
VER_ERR07 – Error is VER_TIME_LIMIT_EXCEED
VER_ERR08 – Error is VER_SETTING_VER_INFO_ERROR
VER_ERR09 – Error is VER_SAVE_LOCATION_EMPTY_INVALID_ERROR
VER_ERR10 – Error is VER_FPN_VERSION_MOVING_IN_TMP_ERROR
VER_ERR11 – Error is VER_FPN_IMAGE_FILE_NOT_PRESENT
VER_ERR12 – Error is VER_FILE_HASH_VALUE_NOT_PRESENT
VER_ERR13 – Error is VER_FILE_SIZE_NOT_PRESENT
VER_ERR14 – Error is VER_PKG_TYPE_NOT_PRESENT
VER_ERR15 – Error is VER_FILE_NOT_PRESENT_TO_CALC_HASH
MEM_ERR01 – Error is MEM_NOSPACE_TO_COPY (Insufficient memory space)
MEM_ERR03 – Error is MEM_NOSPACE_TO_EXTRACT (Insufficient memory space)
PKG_ERR02 – Error is PKG_DWNLD_PKG_NOT_FOUND (Cannot find files)
PKG_ERR03 – Error is PKG_UNTAR_FAILURE (File unpacking unsuccessful, may be due to corrupted file or insufficient memory)
PKG_ERR04 – Error is PKG_REVOKED (Package has been blacklisted)
PKG_ERR06 – Error is UNKNOWN (Restart or Master Reset of APIM usually fixes this)
Signature Errors (Issues caused by invalid Version.der files)
SIGN_ERR01 – Error is UNSIGN_ERROR
SIGN_ERR02 – Error is SIGN_HASH_VALUE_MISMATCH
SIGN_ERR03 – Error is SIGN_CERTS_NOT_PRESENT_ON_SYNC
SIGN_ERR04 – Error is INSTALL_ERROR
SIGN_ERR05 – Error is SCRIPT_INSTALL_ERROR